2014: The Corona of Music

I'd say it got worse. 2015 to 2017 became Drake and Sheeran heavy. At least 2014 is all POP.

That said I despise Happy.

Dark Horse and All of Me are the only two I like, but I somewhat ‘respect’ most of the others as being pretty good for what they are even if I wouldn’t actively listen to them.

Yeah that’s a bit harsh, I know all of them well, which I’m sure is more than I can say about later years.

Not to say I like all of them

Hideaway was the only highlight of 2014, and then it all turned to dog shit until Dua turned up three years later.

What was the UK Top 10 of that year?

1​
HAPPY​
PHARRELL WILLIAMS​
2​
RATHER BE​
CLEAN BANDIT FT JESS GLYNNE​
3​
ALL OF ME​
JOHN LEGEND​
4​
WAVES​
MR PROBZ​
5​
GHOST​
ELLA HENDERSON​
6​
TIMBER​
PITBULL FT KESHA​
7​
THINKING OUT LOUD​
ED SHEERAN​
8​
STAY WITH ME​
SAM SMITH​
9​
ALL ABOUT THAT BASS​
MEGHAN TRAINOR​
10​
LET IT GO​
IDINA MENZEL​

I think 2014 was a pretty good year, but that is not a great list of songs that made the Billboard top 10 for the year.

2014 >>> 2015-2019
2020 and 2021 were better though

From that list I like Dark Horse and Talk Dirty. And I LOVE Waves from the UK list

Songs on the UK top 100 of 2014 that I like

Ella Henderson - Ghost
Clean Bandit - Rather Be
Katy Perry - Dark Horse
Sia - Chandelier
Tove Lo - Habits (Stay High)
Coldplay - Magic
Katy B - Crying For No Reason
Paloma Faith - Only Love Can Hurt Like This
GRL - Ugly Heart
Kiesza - Hideaway
Pitbull featuring Kesha - Timber!

it was not a VINTAGE YEAR. 2013 was though and you can't have it all.

Most of the great stuff in 2014 wasn't in the charts. I do mentally consider 2015 to essentially be the last HURRAH for actually great chart stuff - now THAT year was a classic :disco:

Most of the great stuff in 2014 wasn't in the charts. I do mentally consider 2015 to essentially be the last HURRAH for actually great chart stuff - now THAT year was a classic :disco:

Personally, that would be 2019, shortly before TikTok overtook the way people consume music and dictated what's cool and what's not when it comes to "new" music :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom