'90s French/Euro arthouse cinema

Jark

User
I'm on a roll lately after a date left his Mubi account open on my Mac at the weekend — I've watched:

Three Colours: Blue (1993, Krzysztof Kieślowski)
Three Colours: Red (1994, Krzysztof Kieślowski)
Irma Vep (1996, Oliver Assayas)
The Colour of Lies (1999, Claude Chabrol)
Swimming Pool (2003, François Ozon)

Irma Vep was absolutely brilliant and Maggie Cheung was just delightful in it. and Three Colours: Red was a 12/10 on every level... :disco:

do you have any particular faves from this period in arthouse cinema? discuss and recommend! can be from anywhere but I'm in quite a French mood en ce moment.

Never have I ever seen a thread in which I would have less I can contribute
well darling, it's NEVER TOO LATE to put your beret on and take a mysterious nighttime wander around the misty streets of Paris on 35mm while somebody watching you on his couch in 2022 thinks to himself this film is très miserable! are we going to fuck yet?

• Love
Reactions: RJN
If I recall I rather liked Three Colours Red. I've seen Blue and White as well, one was better than the other, but it's been 20 years.

If I recall I rather liked Three Colours Red. I've seen Blue and White as well, one was better than the other, but it's been 20 years.
Blue is the one with Binoche, in which she gives a great performance but the film around her is just good. I haven't seen White yet, but apparently it's a touch more comedic.

the director announced his retirement before Red, then started writing a new trilogy of films, but died after a routine surgery, so Red ended up being his swansong. how many directors go out on their most celebrated movie?

I’ve only seen Blue out if the three and remember that I liked it but don’t recall the story at all.

Swimming Pool is splendid. I love Francois Ozon and all of the movies I’ve seen by him.

I felt a bit let down by Swimming Pool. Charlotte was marvellous naturellement, but the story was quite a bit too convenient and predictable.

well down for more Ozon though. I really want to see Potiche and 8 femmes.

Too many to list, but try this lot:

Delicatessen
Un Long Dimanche de Fiançailles
Les Amants de Pont- Neuf
Les Visiteurs
Le Dîner des Cons
8 Femmes

Last edited:
I love the Trois Couleurs trilogy but it’s been FAR TOO LONG since I’ve seen them.

Entirely unrelated to this period of cinema, but I was only thinking today I must pop on LES PARAPLUIES DE CHERBOURG for its annual outing soon.

Isn’t it beautiful? I haven’t watched it for ages but I really should. It makes me cry like few other films do.

I almost popped Amelie into my list, because that’s the best of them all, but obviously everyone knows THAT.

Also:

Au Coeur de Mensonge
A La Folie…Pas du Tout (more Audrey Tautou)

Isn’t it beautiful? I haven’t watched it for ages but I really should. It makes me cry like few other films do.

I almost popped Amelie into my list, because that’s the best of them all, but obviously everyone knows THAT.

It was indeed and I cried both times I saw it, but it’s been a while. I think I enjoyed it more than Amelie but probably only because it was more melodramatic.

It was indeed and I cried both times I saw it, but it’s been a while. I think I enjoyed it more than Amelie but probably only because it was more melodramatic.

Amelie is in my top ten films ever. It's just perfect and is just pure joy from start to finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom