A Haunting in Venice

VoR

Take it or leave it
aka Branagh is doing another Poirot...

Always here for Michelle Yeoh. Tina Fey could be fun if she's well utilised. But Death on the Nile was pretty terrible so I'm not expecting much.

Will there be another line-reading as iconically terrible as this, though?

Death on the Nile was more entertaining than Orient Express and this is an “adaptation” of a much lesser story that I believe will be massacred.

Anyway if we can’t stop them we might as well join them.

He is the worst Poirot.

Death was alright, but aside from Gal Gadot's horrendous acting it was missing the camp joy of the original for me. How do you cast French & Saunders as LESBIAN COMMUNISTS and not give them any funny scenes?

Murder on the Orient Express at least had Michelle Pfeiffer serving a Roxxy Andrews double wig reveal.

I mean both don’t touch the originals. I think I had higher expectations for Orient and that cast was stacked and it lost me from the first scene.

I didn’t see Orient but Nile was quite fun. I’ve not heard of this one.

I know it's Marple but I would love to see a big budget take on the The Mirror Crack'd

Just seen this. Michelle Yeoh looked like she was enjoying herself on this one. Also I spent the entire film trying to work out who 'hot man with moustache' was.

Jamie Dornan of course. Mystery solved.

That’s probably a better mystery than what’s in the movie.

It’s just boring tbh, they telegraph the murderer very early on and the whole thing has nothing to do with Christie. It’s Christie lite.

Tina Fey is fun at least.

This really wasn’t very good at all. Performances that ranged from hammy to disinterested. Yeoh under utilised. Branagh just doesn’t work in the role.

I liked this quite a lot for what it was - a triumph of production design and casting over script, although that still had its moments.

I'm happy for Ken Bran to keep doing these. Murder on the Orient Express was absolute shit in a bucket, but I enjoyed Death on the Nile, and now this one.

Yeah I enjoyed this. The production design and art direction were gorgeous, and it was generally staged very well. The story was ridiculous but it was a Poirot whodunnit in 2023 starring Tina Fey. I wasn’t expecting much else.

I liked Tina Fey’s outfit. The story was a bit silly but it was good to have an unfamiliar one rather than something that has been adapted loads of times before.

Wondering how they had a colour photograph in 1947. Were they common?

Not common, but I'm sure rich people had access to colour photography back then.

I liked Tina Fey’s outfit. The story was a bit silly but it was good to have an unfamiliar one rather than something that has been adapted loads of times before.

Wondering how they had a colour photograph in 1947. Were they common?

It couldn’t be familiar because it’s not based on anything Christie wrote.

I thought it was... a review I read referenced that it was based on a story and I'm sure the closing credits reference what book it was based on.

It's based on The Halloween Party but loosely. Extremely, extremely loosely.

Just watched this. The cinematography really irritated me, the story was weak, and Branagh sucks too much playfulness out of Poirot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom