A LOW thread

Low are probably my favourite band of all time*.
They really are just mind-blowingly AMAZING, and I love that this deep into their career they are making some of the most exciting music of their entire discography.

I'm SO PERCHED for their new album, following the career high of Double Negative.
Indeed lead single Days Like These is pretty much my song of the year so far, and probably already lodged as one of my favourite songs by them.
The opening lyric of:
"When you think you've seen everything
You'll find we're living in days like these"
is so simple, yet so devastatingly effective.

and second single Disappearing is similarly beautiful, and is an obvious nod to where Double Negative left off. It does end VERY ABRUPTLY though, I'm assuming in the context of the album it seagues into another track.

This thread will PROBABLY just be me rabbiting away at myself, but frankly WHO CARES! :disco:

*Possibly tied with Pet Shop Boys, Cocteau Twins, Chromatics and Beach House.

Last edited:
I've always liked them but "double negative" really turned things around for me. The new album has leaked a few weeks ago, it is equal to "double negative".

OMG I don't do leaks, but hearing it equals Double Negative has me SPAFFING my pants. Cannot wait for it to arrive.

In my opinion they have multiple bulletproof, 11/10 albums:
Double Negative
I Could Live In Hope
Things We Lost In The Fire

being the three obvious ones, but I'd also put Long Division, Ones And Sixes and possibly C'Mon not all that far behind either.

I’ve LOW LOONED before but their best one is obviously this, together with a few others

YES, one Low's most beautiful moments and a reason why I enjoy the C'Mon album so much.

There is of course also this spectacularly miserable Mimi moment, which I saw the band refer to as their GAY ANTHEM (!) :D in an interview once. Can't really see the gays measuring out the G and fucking each other senseless to this, but maybe I'm attending the wrong social EVENTS!

:disco:

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: Zu
Wow so HEY WHAT is here, and it's ASTONISHING

I've had a couple of listens, and it really sounds like an ALL TIME CLASSIC, and the perfect sibling to Double Negative - without being a retread.
HOW do they do it? :D

Beyond GLOWING reviews also :disco:
https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/low-hey-what/ BEST NEW MUSIC
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/09/low-hey-what-review - Calls it a 'redefinition of rock music' and compares it to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless in regards to how seminal it may be in future, then only gives it 4 stars out of 5 :D
https://www.stereogum.com/2159657/low-hey-what/reviews/album-of-the-week/ ALBUM THE WEEK

QUEENS!

Last edited:
I've always liked Low but I've never made the leap to loving them, somehow.

Same.

But since Ones and Sixes I have been in thrall - incredible band.

I got talking to Alan Sparhawk about 10 years ago at a festival and he said he was experiencing profound problems with his hearing at the time. He said he wanted to work this into the music somehow and I think he finally nailed it.

Same.

But since Ones and Sixes I have been in thrall - incredible band.

:shock:

I can't quite get into their current phase, oddly enough because it should be right up my street. I wish I could work out what my problem is with Low because they tick a whole lot of boxes and yet...my heart remains unfilled by them. It must be me, rather than them.

This album is just staggeringly good, and also very much an ALBUM. I can't really imagine listening to anything but Days Like These in isolation - it wouldn't really make SENSE.

I think Double Negative just edges it as an absolute singular entity, modern day classic of an album. But I'm SO HAPPY this exists, and I remain so impressed they've made an album that covers similar territory to Double Negative, yet doesn't repeat AT ALL.

• Love
It's just the TWO OF THEM NOW, the vocals are pretty equal this time around I think.
The vocals are untreated on this album too, unlike Double Negative where it often sounded like Mimi's tones were being FRIED :disco:

I have slept beside you now
For what seems a thousand years

is such a :disco: lyric

• Love
I often wonder what on earth the interpersonal dynamics between them are like. Crystal Castles (very much RIP) always sounded exactly like something awful was going on somewhere (which we all secretly knew it was because you don’t sound like that if it isn’t) and obviously Low don’t sound quite that tense but STILL!

I’m so amused to see that yet another bassist has been all like WELL FUCK THIS I’M OFF :disco:

I know she's had a truly, genuinely TERRIBLE LIFE...but Alice Glass being beyond off her nut in various GLAMOROUS FASHIONS in this vid never gets old for me :disco:

Never has comatose been so EDITORIAL!

:disco: Oh that’s always my first port of call. She looks UTTERLY FUCKED BEYOND DESCRIPTION and that song is easily in my CC Top 5

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I posted it in the Crystal Castles thread if it even EXISTS on here, but there is a total HEADFUCK of a wormhole to fall down once you scratch the surface of Crystal Castles, and the foul darkness of what Ethan has gotten up to.

michael-flynn-lock-him-up.gif

It’s another of these ARCHIVED ones

I think I posted it in the Crystal Castles thread if it even EXISTS on here, but there is a total HEADFUCK of a wormhole to fall down once you scratch the surface of Crystal Castles, and the foul darkness of what Ethan has gotten up to.

michael-flynn-lock-him-up.gif
Oh it NEVER ENDS!

ANYWAY BACK TO LOW and I found this:

Mimi Parker: I think at every point of any, every and any record we’ve ever done, there’s confusion.

Alan Sparhawk: Yeah at some point.

Mimi Parker: Where we’re like, “What are we doing? Is this any good? Is this just crap? Is this…?"

:D:D:D

Having spent far too much time today thinking about it, my main (totally baseless) conclusion regarding the Parker-Sparhawk relationship is that they ARGUE CONSTANTLY. I bet Mimi is quite the shouter nay bellower :disco:

Well, they do say it's the quiet ones that you need to watch out for...

I’m so amused to see that yet another bassist has been all like WELL FUCK THIS I’M OFF :disco:

Hardly surprising, they're clearly a challenging couple.

The clues are in the titles:

Things We Lost in the Fire (Which We Started On Purpose)
Trust (No-one)
I Could Live In Hope (But I'd Rather be A Miserable Bastard)
Hey What (The Fuck Are You Doing With That Cat?)
C'mon (You Cunt)

The VERY STATE of Alan at the moment :disco: (and also :horny: - obviously not wearing any pants and I like the hair)

Low_More_promo_NathanKeay_interview_under_the_radar_main_2021.jpeg

Mimi obviously bringing the usual LOOK :disco:

Actually I bought those exact dungarees on ASOS last year but they made me look like a paedophile children's TV presenter. Alan carries them off much better

Hastily assembled LOW ZEHN in no particular order (apart from the first two) based on a quick flick through Spotify to refresh my memory

1. Especially Me
2. Hey
3. Monkey
4. (That's How You Sing) Amazing Grace
5. Medicine Magazine
6. No Comprende
7. Just Like Christmas
8. Dinosaur Act
9. Lullaby
10. Dancing and Blood

The VERY STATE of Alan at the moment :disco: (and also :horny: - obviously not wearing any pants and I like the hair)

Low_More_promo_NathanKeay_interview_under_the_radar_main_2021.jpeg

Mimi obviously bringing the usual LOOK :disco:

Actually I bought those exact dungarees on ASOS last year but they made me look like a paedophile children's TV presenter. Alan carries them off much better
It was actually this picture I had in mind...

low.jpg

Everyone enjoying their LOVELY DAY OUT :disco:

Hastily assembled LOW ZEHN in no particular order (apart from the first two) based on a quick flick through Spotify to refresh my memory

1. Especially Me
2. Hey
3. Monkey
4. (That's How You Sing) Amazing Grace
5. Medicine Magazine
6. No Comprende
7. Just Like Christmas
8. Dinosaur Act
9. Lullaby
10. Dancing and Blood

No upbeat disco classic SHAME?? It's Low's noted GAY ANTHEM apparently :D

• BOOM BOOM