A thread about SHEENA EASTON

109. Are Sheena's reissues any good? No. Don't ask where you can buy them.

Actually DJ (DON'T FORGET TO DONATE) PAUL of burningtheground seems to be trapped in an endless cycle of SHEENA BEASTON 12"s at the moment

This is a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT as I personally could not GIVE A TOSS about her :D

I've noticed all the burningtheground uploads as well, but am currently AT ODDS with Mr L and so am not downloading any of them for him either. I'm not a fan personally either, outside of literally a handful of tracks.

So I've finally indulged in the first two Cherry Pop Remasters, of "The Lover In Me" (which I already had on cd) and "Take My Time", which I have a clapped out vinyl copy of and had a cassette back in the 90s, for some reason. They've made me appreciate both again, but the former really is FUCKING CORKING for the most part. The remaster job is a triumph- "101" is absolutely amazing, and I didn't realise the remix on there was one of life's ALL TIME MOST AMAZING REMIXES, the David Morales Mix. WELL worth the cash :disco:

SING IT SISTER. It's TREMENDOUS and no mistake, but then the source material is PRETTY DARNED STONKING TOO...

I still find it hilarious when I listen to old Easton stuff that she was SO FUCKING DETESTED over here that stuff the quality of "The Lover In Me" couldn't make the top ten and "Sugar Walls" et al didn't even chart :D

I'm supposed to be WORKING but right now my office and the VERY WHOLE of Soho Square is resounding to the sound of some seriously INSANE Morales PIANO CHORDS

:disco: CUNTINESS to INFINITY

For every night
That you've been gone
I've lit a candle
There must be 99
Around my bed
AROUND MY BED...

:disco:

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY can't you come
See about ME?
WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY can't you come
See about ME?

Last edited:
I'm surprised they never actually did more together- of all his muses, she's the one I think brought the best out of him...

I'm surprised they never actually did more together- of all his muses, she's the one I think brought the best out of him...
Vanity pretty much did the job with Nasty Girl, If A Girl Answers (Don't Hang Up) and Vibrator - until she got on the COKE and then found GOD that is.

Jill Jones had her moment (singular).

Dear old SHEE really did get the lion's share of AMAZING stuff!

Last edited:
Absolutely. Of his regular collaborators, she got "Sugar Walls", "101", "Eternity", "U Got The Look"- and to a (much) lesser extent, "The Arms of Orion". All STONE COLD FABULOUSNESS

I'd pay COLD HARD CASH to hear Sheena deliver THIS pièce de résistance though (with her playing both Vanity, Brenda AND Jimmy's New Girl, NATCH, she's got the RANGE):

- Brenda, how are we gonna get 2 the party?

- Call up Jimmy, he's got a car

- And what if a girl answers?

- Hang up!

- Hang up nothin', Jimmy says I was his girl

- Honey, don't U know everyone's Jimmy's girl?

- Brenda, I know better than anybody

- Well, if a girl answers, don't hang up, just talk about her

-Yes...

[LATER]

- Hello, this is Vanity... Is Jimmy home?

- Yes, but he's taking a shower

- Oh, I see... Did he just take out the trash?

- No, that's somethin' he use 2 do, now he's taking out me

- Oh, I see
- Well, tell 'em he left his pants over here last night

- That's OK, U keep 'em, he won't be needin' 'em 2 night

- Oh, what's the matter, is he going swimming?

- Why no, we was gonna go, but he said he did that last night

- Well sugar, I know about a great party, why don't U bring us your car?

- So sorry baby, but I never go 2 singles' bars

- Singles? Is that what U think? Tramp, I'm datin' your dad!

- Oh, he died about 7 years back, now ain't that just 2 bad?

- Well, that's how I like 'em: tall, stiff and ready. That's positively more than I can say 4 dead Jimmy

- That's because he was swallowin' vitamin E, now he's swallowin' me

- Oh, U mean U were swallowin' him... Why don't U just tie a mattress 2 your back?

- I'm gonna need it cuz if I ever see your face I'm gonna fall and have a heart attack

- All that's gonna fall is the wig off your head! Now what U think about that?

- I think I'd rather wear a wig than run a motel 4 roaches, ants and lice dogs and cats in my hat

- Hey, that's goin' 2 far
Here, give me the phone
Hey tramp, take a bath in puke
What's more, U can kiss where the sun don't shine
If that don't work, we can duke
U see, the only kinda man that would play with U
Is one that plays with himself
None of my friends could stand the sight of U
Much less the smell
And if I weren't a lady, I'd take my money
And buy U a brand new face
Then I'd take my underwear and stick it in your mouth
And U'd love it cuz U got no taste
And if that don't work, call back your dead daddy
And show him what U look like now
Honey, I'd bet he never come back
Cuz U one ugly cow (Ooh-wee)
Girl, U tell your boyfriend Jimmy he can go and get hit by a car
Cuz as far as I see it, he can't afford 2 bite the beat of this star
There's 2 things we can't stand
One's a jive talk man
The other's a jive talk man with no money
Can U dig it?

CLICK

So for some UNFATHOMABLE REASON, I've just ordered Sheena's wilderness years sets "No Strings" and "My Cherie". I don't have high hopes, but for around £2 apiece on Amazon Marketplace, I thought it was worth a punt...

LONG LONG DISTANCE LOVE AFFAIR
I CAN'T FIND YOU ANYWHERE :evil:

I think I'm becoming MILDLY OBSESSED, loves

"And this used to be the bathroom," Mr Sheena sighed. :(

2248700249_5615438d21.jpg

So for some UNFATHOMABLE REASON, I've just ordered Sheena's wilderness years sets "No Strings" and "My Cherie". I don't have high hopes, but for around £2 apiece on Amazon Marketplace, I thought it was worth a punt...
I just KNOW a couple of previously undiscovered gems are going to force me to invest..! :(

"And this used to be the bathroom," Mr Sheena sighed. :(

2248700249_5615438d21.jpg

It's FUNNY cause it's TRUE! He's getting increasingly exasperated with me and there really is NO ROOM WHATSOEVER for more shelving. I kid myself I'm doing well if I've bought less than 20 cds or vinyls in a month :(

Has this been posted before? A 1990 concert to celebrate Glasgow being the city of culture, featuring Sheena performing to an ACTIVELY HOSTILE crowd:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NSfU5Zmgioc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I swear you can actually hear people shouting "SHAME" at the end :D

I can't really detect anything to be honest. I always imagined her being in a King's Theatre type venue being pelted with Irn-Bru bottles, maybe it really was just a bit of a myth. I can imagine the papers making a lot of her own very Joss Stone moment, but the major crime was not doing Strut.

The Vegas gigs must have dried up so get ready people, because Ms Sheena is coming to the GLITTERIN' WEST END in next year's "42nd Street" revival :disco:

Lord only knows how (or why) this deal was cobbled together, but tis true. The show is going to be a big of a big one (largest theatre in London, cast of 50, etc) so there's a fair bit resting on those shoulders.

GettyImages-623820984.jpg

Oh my! That's the first I think I've heard from her since about 2000!

Sadly Fabulous hasn't quite made it to Spotify.
I can't say she's been top of my mind either... though I do still like to pop on that incredible Morales mix of "101" when the mood takes me.

Console yourself in "The Lover In Me" - there's some excellent New Jill Swing stuff on there. And track down the Sleazesisters remix of "Giving Up, Giving Up" that was done for Fabulous. It's brilliant!

I am SO going to this. Are tickets on sale yet? Let's face it, she won't last HALF A MONTH...

Is it a vocally demanding role? She's obviously onstage at Vegas and/or various US Mall shows most nights, but her voice sounds shot to pieces these days from the clips I've heard.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between recording artiste and musical singer- as Su Pollard has always proved :D

There's this new record company called Cherry Pop Records which is apparently devoted to re-issuing 'classic 80s pop albums'. Anyway, for reasons best known to themselves the first two they've released have been LaToya Jackson's debut and The Lover In Me. They won't last six months! :D

Oh VoR :D

Moopy group visit! I'm so there.

I don't know how much singing Sheena will get to do (I've got the cast recording somewhere but haven't given it much of a spin) but she's basically plays the lead in the show-within-a-show who comes a cropper, requiring her understudy to take over the role, thereby becoming a STAR.

In what is one of my favourite instances of life imitating art, Catherine Zeta-Jones was in the chorus of the original 80s London cast, understudying the lead. She took over the role when the lead fell ill and ended up being so good, the promoted her to the part. The REST is HISTORY!

The real concern here, is will one of our contingent be able to meet her backstage and get to her to answer ALL THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom