Aaliyah's music coming to streaming

KindaCool

Footsteps are following me
Dunno if anyone heard about this, but her estate put out a comment recently

“To our loyal fans: We are excited to announce that communication has commenced between the estate and various record labels about the status of Aaliyah’s music catalogue, as well as its availability on streaming platforms in the near future,”

Apparently there's also an album of unreleased songs that might also see the light of day.

I hate her stupid bastard uncle.

I didn't realise it wasn't already

I love the Aaliyah album but I've never sought out her back catalogue, I guess I would if it was on Spotify but I suspect it sounds a bit dated now through no fault of her own.

Lord, it's nearly been 20 years since she died.

Most of it already on UK streaming. More Than Woman was the only one and that appeared recently.

I remember the day she died and I was at an elderly relative's house who was obsessed with Princess Diana. When I told her what happened she reached for one of her commemorative Diana plates and hit me over the head with it, saying "if i can't have Diana you can't have Aaliyah" which to this day I've never quite understood.

Most of it already on UK streaming. More Than Woman was the only one and that appeared recently.
I've only got the debut album in Ireland. Need the other two, but most of the hits are available as singles or on compilations alright.

I've only got the debut album in Ireland. Need the other two, but most of the hits are available as singles or on compilations alright.

Mine's the same. Only the debut album is available, but throughout the years more and more singles are being added to her This Is Aaliyah which pretty much looks like a comprehensive GH nowadays: More than a woman, Back and forth, We need a resolution, Rock the boat, Try again, I Care 4 u, et.c are all there :disco:

She died the day after I got the album. I was gutted as I was really beguiled by how good her Timbaland cuts were: More than a Woman is luxurious, and from the album before If Your Girl Only Knew equally delicious. Timbaland never really continued the style he generated with Aaliyah despite definitely progressing his sound. It just lost the intricacy and stoned in sound studio technique, for me at least.

I'm guessing the hesitancy is due to the meagre royalties generated from streaming?

The purist in me does get a slight twitch when I see an artist's biggest hits only available with the cover art "Deutschland Hitz Volume 34!" or something though.

Thug Life Ladies no less :disco:

Finally! I was wondering about this. Had a bit of a Toni Braxton binge this week and tried to move on to Aaliyah with very few results. Didn't want to dig out the CDs.

A thread on One In A Million also incoming but I'll wait until it's available. I've been rediscovering it on YouTube recently, actually I should say discovering because I was never a big Aaliyah fan back in the day. Apart from the first album which was right in my lane, she was actually too FORWARD THINKING for my tastes at the time. This album set the stage for the next 10 to 15 years in R&B and it's hard to believe it's from 1996 or whenever it was.

self-titled was an amazing record. I own it on CD and the artwork and packaging are beautiful. can't wait to listen again, it's been YEARS.

Her uncle revived the record label, now called Blackground Records 2.0. Expect new Timbaland music?

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Eating GIF

It was really sad that she died so young, but most of her music is just ok really. She was obviously talented, but she never had that killer song that made me sit up and take notice.

Love the self titled album and miss listening to the album tracks, so these are good news.

It was really sad that she died so young, but most of her music is just ok really. She was obviously talented, but she never had that killer song that made me sit up and take notice.

:wow:

I still adore The One I Gave My Heart Too. I know it’s typical Diane Warren stuff, but it’s utterly gorgeous. What a vocal from someone so young.

I still adore The One I Gave My Heart Too. I know it’s typical Diane Warren stuff, but it’s utterly gorgeous. What a vocal from someone so young.

I like it too, but listening to One In a Million yesterday it felt very obviously TACKED ON as something for the white people to play on an otherwise very RnB album :basil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom