ABBA - I Still Have Faith In You/ Don't Shut Me Down

?

• Total voters
I may be wrong here (and the oracle has gone to bed to ask), but I think the medley is the only song Abba recorded not co-written by Bjorn, and one of two not co-written by Benny.

Didn’t they call out Summer Night City in that interview? Actually I can’t remember what they said, I thought they said it should’ve been bigger?

NO WAIT was it Under Attack?
Under Attack, bewilderingly. Never a highlight and they all sounded jaded, worn out and sick of each other

I love Under Attack! It’s moody and steely but still VERY ABBA - a tantalising glimpse at what 80s ABBA could have been.

I hope it’s in the show as they hinted in the interview.

Didn’t they call out Summer Night City in that interview? Actually I can’t remember what they said, I thought they said it should’ve been bigger?

NO WAIT was it Under Attack?
I think they also mentioned The King Has Lost His Crown bizarrely.

Under Attack is C list Abba to these ears.
I think it's amazing and one of my favourites. Those criss-crossing harmonies are just spectacular.

I imagine it was very very close to being put into Chess. The only negative is obviously the fact that it's put paid to us ever hearing an official version of Just Like That.

Don't Shut Me Down quickly solidifying itself as a god-tier ABBA track and it's even going to have the chart positions to "back it up".

NATURE IS HEALING.
Absolutely. It’s way too early for me to declare it up there with the best as I’m still a bit hysterical from all of this, but it really does sit seamlessly next to my favourites and not stand out as being less good.

Back to the 'why didn't Abba have more Swedish #1 singles?' question, Mr L has just said to me that the Swedish album and singles chart were combined for a long while - so the Waterloo album held the Swedish version of Waterloo at #2, and the English version at #3.

Back to the 'why didn't Abba have more Swedish #1 singles?' question, Mr L has just said to me that the Swedish album and singles chart were combined for a long while - so the Waterloo album held the Swedish version of Waterloo at #2, and the English version at #3.
Ah - that makes sense. It looks like the split occurred in 1975.

Fernando was also the Swedish solo Frida version rather than an Abba single in Sweden. The parent album Ensam spent six weeks at #1, but I'm not sure if any of those held the single off #1, if the charts were still combined then.

...and SOS was a solo Agnetha track, although neither that or the (slightly compromised) concept parent album were as successful as Frida.

What happened? :o
Wikipedia

The original album design was very different from the eventual release. Fältskog and Carlgren originally planned to call the album "Tolv kvinnor i ett hus" (Twelve Women In A House) with each song on the album describing twelve different characters, all women leading very different lives, but all living in the same house. The package would have included a gatefold sleeve with artwork by Carlgren picturing the twelve fictitious women as well as several photos of Fältskog herself, but due to the success of ABBA the singer had less time to write and record her own songs. At one point it seemed uncertain that the album would ever be finished which led to the record company cutting the production budget, which in turn meant that it was impossible to release it with the lavish gatefold sleeve and accompanying artwork. In the end there were only ten songs written by Fältskog, coupled with the opening track "S.O.S.", a song that neither fit nor was included in the original concept.

Wikipedia

The original album design was very different from the eventual release. Fältskog and Carlgren originally planned to call the album "Tolv kvinnor i ett hus" (Twelve Women In A House) with each song on the album describing twelve different characters, all women leading very different lives, but all living in the same house. The package would have included a gatefold sleeve with artwork by Carlgren picturing the twelve fictitious women as well as several photos of Fältskog herself, but due to the success of ABBA the singer had less time to write and record her own songs. At one point it seemed uncertain that the album would ever be finished which led to the record company cutting the production budget, which in turn meant that it was impossible to release it with the lavish gatefold sleeve and accompanying artwork. In the end there were only ten songs written by Fältskog, coupled with the opening track "S.O.S.", a song that neither fit nor was included in the original concept.
Ooh! Abandoned concept queen :disco:

How entertainingly bizarre to combine singles and albums in ONE CHART!

I note Arrival and Voulez Vous also recharted. Gold is no.5.
8,623 sales for Gold, but also a further 1,444 for the Gold Anniversary Edition which charts separately at #72. That's the version repackaged as 3 CDs, with More Gold and a CD of B-sides. But if Queen are allowed to count that Platinum Collection towards Greatest Hits, I don't see why Abba can't add the Anniversary Edition to Gold's sales.

Good, well hopefully it’ll stay too 5 for the next 2 years and that will be THAT!

or a repackage with the Voyage tracks next year

Annoyingly, James Masterton for Music Week gives the weekly sales for both versions of Gold and Voulez-Vous (1,653) - although not for Arrival, but doesn't give the total sales to date for any of them :evil:

or a repackage with the Voyage tracks next year
There's no way that's NOT happening in some format. Just a question of when, and I assume it won't be while Voyage is still selling.

I'm sure it's very good for a bunch of 4 70+ year old, but is that figure good by other metrics?

Reactions: Hak

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom