ABBA lyric videos (2022)

lolly

Rowena? From Kuwait?
A new lyric video for Chiquitita was released last week. Not entirely sure the purpose of it - do young people just expect them these days? It's quite well done for what it is though, I think. And it's led to speculation that Chiquitita is likely to be in the Voyage setlist.

Out of the ABBA Gold tracks, One of Us kind of stands out as a likely omission, but it gets harder to call after that.

A new lyric video for Chiquitita was released last week. Not entirely sure the purpose of it - do young people just expect them these days? It's quite well done for what it is though, I think. And it's led to speculation that Chiquitita is likely to be in the Voyage setlist.

I wonder if it's because as things stood, Chiquitita was their biggest hit with the shittest quality video on YouTube? It didn't get the 4K upgrade with most of the other big ones.

From Universal

The new series of 20 ABBA lyric videos that was launched on March 18 with “Chiquitita” will continue over the next 12 months with all of the tracks on the ABBA Gold compilation, plus “Happy New Year.” The next release will be “Waterloo” on April 6.

Re the videos, I don't understand this. They already have videos ?!
You're not alone

I think the generally accepted notion is that these are for all those youths these days who are craving a bit of Abba and don't have LP inner sleeves or CD booklets. Or Google, seemingly :side-eye: .

I think Chiquitita is well done at least. And the screen shot I've seen of Waterloo looks to be following the theme of using the original video.

Last edited:
Actually, could a @Moderator split the lyric video posts #10, #11, #13, #14, #15 and #28 onwards into a new 'Abba lyric videos' thread please?

I like that @Christian started a new thread specifically for the residency after a lot of the chatter was lost in the huge thread, and now I'm derailing this new one.

Re the videos, I don't understand this. They already have videos ?!

I wonder if it’s for an international audience? I know a fair few ESL students who like to use lyric videos to learn songs, so I guess this is a flashier way than just adding subtitles. Not that I think this for ESL learners in particular or anything

Well it’s nice to have something official for LAYLOM finally.

They should really fast-track a lyric video for Angeleyes considering its current TikTok popularity.

Is it just me or have these been getting progressively lazier as the year has gone on?

I definitely thought HNY was the laziest yet.

All I would say though is that Mr L seems to prefer the 'lazier' ones which involve less bells and whistles, and I've seen similar comments on AbbaTalk and the like.

I do think it worked well for Money Money Money, though.

YouTube views

12m Lay All Your Love On Me
11m Chiquitita
3.4m Voulez-Vous
2.4m The Winner Takes It All
2.2m Dancing Queen
1.2m I Have A Dream
1.2m Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
740k Fernando
740k SOS
686k Happy New Year
681k Waterloo