ABBA - Super Trouper Sync Listen

abba-happy-new-year.gif

Happy new year Moopy xx

Apparently this was written with the intention of being part of a musical written on New Year's Eve. They asked John Cleese to write the script and were obviously so discouraged when he declined that they ditched it there and then.

Mamma Mia robbed me of a bit of love for Our Last Summer

Not overly keen on Frida's vocal on this one... quite harsh vibrato.

I do think this is one of the very few times that ABBA have had a decent stab at rock, and I don't think it was even really intentional in this case.

I didn't hear Happy New Year for the first time until last month! I told Pingu this and he generously elected not to unfriend me. great harmonies, lovely harmonies.

Our Last Summer is also lovely (who can resist an electric guitar solo?) but taken altogether, this midsection does need a kick of energy or emotion. it's all a bit... happy.

10 Super Trouper
10 The Winner Takes it All
09 On and On and On
08 Andante, Andante
08 Me and I
08 Happy New Year
08 Our Last Summer

Presumably Jark hasn't listened to the lyrics of Happy New Year...

The Piper is like the MOTHER SONG to When You Danced With Me (but make it dark) :disco: love that for us. I don't know why but it feels like a soundtrack single to some ludicrous high fantasy nontense. NOW BRING OUT THE FLUTES.

10 Super Trouper
10 The Winner Takes it All
09 On and On and On
08 Andante, Andante
08 Me and I
08 Happy New Year
08 Our Last Summer
09 The Piper

The whole album is definitely a big step up in terms of maturity but it has a warmth that The Visitors lacks (not a bad thing)... it's a very cosy sitting by the fire album musically.

Another one that's snuck up on me in recent years. The choral bits!

The third voice is GLORIOUS on The Piper, isn't it?

Oh I also didn't pick up on the political subtext of The Piper until a couple of months ago so it gets an extra mark for effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom