ABBA Voyage: The Concert Residency – CONTAINS MAJOR SET LIST SPOILERS

Although there's no reason why they can't perform in several places at once with this show. They could do London, Paris, New York and Doncaster all on the same day, for example.

Unless the real Abba pop up at the end of every show. Have they done that much so far?

Although there's no reason why they can't perform in several places at once with this show. They could do London, Paris, New York and Doncaster all on the same day, for example.

I was thinking they really have created a 'piece' that can live on and on and go around the world in different places and just be a cash cow, as well as an artistic triumph and continue their legacy.
Could this do a Vegas residency?

I'm not sure of the costs and how many cities/countries it would be viable in. Vegas is the obvious one, but is there sufficient Abba appetite in the US?

I'm not sure of the costs and how many cities/countries it would be viable in. Vegas is the obvious one, but is there sufficient Abba appetite in the US?

That's what I was thinking, but Vegas shows are half about the tourists aren't they :disco:

and it would be amusing if ABBA got there before Adele :D

Like those dodgy waxwork exhibitions you get in places like Blackpool.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: Hak
Agnetha+-+1975.png
Agnetha ABBAtar prepares herself for her Nantwich debut

Mr L commented that it was less gay than he imagined. But it was still significantly so. I'd say the average age was about my age - but it was noticeable how the ages went right through from young children to people in their 70s and possibly 80s.

The structure does feel kind of temporary. Not so much when you're in the main hall, but when you're outside of it and in the foyer area. Probably due to the material and where it is - it's essentially in the middle of a building site and it feels like it.

Was it everything you hoped for?
Yes (and a little bit no) and YES!!!

First of all there is nothing that anybody could have said to prepare me for how real they look. It was absolutely remarkable and the audience clearly bought into it from the very first song.

The set list was great…

It felt hit-packed without being a roll call of ABBA Gold, and it was really nice that they were brave enough to put some obscurer ones in there, but still songs that fitted right in and by and large are proper fan favourites.

I was so impressed with the venue as soon as I walked in. It did feel very flat pack but they have made it such a pleasant place to be, and the arena itself was spellbinding. It was intimate while still feeling like a proper “arena” and not an inch of the place hadn’t been properly thought through when it came to the lighting and effects.

One criticism I had is the number of songs that were accompanied by videos on the screen rather than performed by the “Abbatars” and without having looked at any reviews yet I can imagine that other people felt the same.

One or two would have been fine especially if they wanted to make it feel like a real live concert with costume changes, but it really felt like the atmosphere dipped when one of them came on, especially that cartoon which they wasted on two songs that would have been really great to see “live.”

I suppose it is a testament to the Abbatars though that I was so invested in them that I just wanted them to come back instead of watching an interlude! The song that was performed by the backing singers I was fine with though, and a good choice for them to do.

Overall I thought it was a really fantastic show. Technologically breathtaking and just really feelgood and uplifting. Can’t wait to go another 50 times. :disco:

I thought that about the onscreen 'videos' originally - particularly Knowing Me Knowing You, which apart from being the first to receive that treatment, the video so cleverly recalled the actual music video that you couldnt kind of help but think 'I'm watching an updated version of the video' - but I think i just gave myself over to it and I didnt care at all by the second time they did it. I don’t see why we couldnt have had BOTH the avatars and the video though - plenty of acts employ video screens live after all.

I can't say I noticed any dip in energy sitting where we were on our night. Were you on the floor? I do wonder how the energy will be different there.

Agree entirely about the cartoon though.

We're booked again for the end of July and start of October. And I found myself looking at resale tickets for later this month last night...

Yes we were on the floor and people really were treating it like a proper concert there.

I feel like everyone kind of made a deal that they were going to go with it and pretend they were watching the real ABBA, so it was kind of hard to maintain that when you were watching what was clearly a music video.

I would have had one “music video” treatment as you’ve described, one song performed by the backing band and maybe even one cartoon. But I’d have had them as abridged versions of lesser songs.

The LAYLOM / Summer Night City / Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! / Voulez-Vous section was :disco:-central, but it would have been even more so had they kept the “live” performance going and not cut to the screens for Voulez-Vous.

It will be interesting to see how it's different on the floor. How far forward were you? Mr L fully intends trying to get right to the front next time, but I'd rather be central but a little way back, as I'm not sure if you might lose the impact of some of the lights and screens if you're right up close.
I think I prefer the overall impact - hence perhaps why I'm not so worried about the video aspect - whereas he wants the next time to be more of a concert experience.

There's a part in the Tron LAYLOM/SNC/GGG section (I think during GGG) where the video segues back into the avatars on stage from overhead which is just :disco: overload.

VV is very much B list Abba for me so accepting that the cartoon bit is there, I was pleased it was used on that.

Mr L is hoping that the cartoons may be taken out at some point if people don't like them very much, but I started following one of the producers Svana Gisla a while back, and she seems quite clear that they are an integral part of the show

Personally I can see them being quite dull on repeat viewing.

Is it just Christian who we're hiding things from now?

I could have done without the cartoon bits but I did love those moments where they really leaned in to the medium, like the nod to the Knowing Me, Knowing You video, Anni-Frid with the northern lights, and the aforementioned Tron overhead bit (so good :disco:)

It was really good. I was just BEAMING like an absolute GIMP for the first few songs, and it was such a joy to behold.

I would really just recommend that anybody

go see it!

How far forward were you? Mr L fully intends trying to get right to the front next time, but I'd rather be central but a little way back, as I'm not sure if you might lose the impact of some of the lights and screens if you're right up close.
I think I prefer the overall impact - hence perhaps why I'm not so worried about the video aspect - whereas he wants the next time to be more of a concert experience.

Ah man, take a gamle! I don't think u need to worry about it loosing impact and you've already tried the overall impression anyways...

‘The best day of my life’

4032.jpg

During the show, I broke away from my friends to be as close as possible to the stage when they came on. I ended up right at the front. I was quite happy to be on my own; I didn’t want my experience to be influenced by those around me. Also, it meant I could dance my heart out. The other fans around me told me that although they were watching the show, they loved watching my reactions because I was totally present in the moment.

[...]

When the real band members came on stage, Agnetha and Anni-Frid were in tears. They were realising that they’re closing the journey properly, in a happy way. I’d been waiting for that moment for my whole life. I’d go back every week if I could. I can finally forgive my parents because I’ve actually seen them now, in the flesh.
Simon Finn, 51, primary school teacher, Brussels

Now bring Mr L to the front of the stage and dance your codger butts off :horny:

Last edited:
I’m just back home after seeing it :disco:

OH MY GOD

It was simply INCREDIBLE. If you have even a passing Interest in their music, this will knock your socks off. The visuals are unbelievable. The volume was earsplitting. The audience were RABID.

An absolute THRILL of an evening.

I’m just back home after seeing it :disco:

OH MY GOD

It was simply INCREDIBLE. If you have even a passing Interest in their music, this will knock your socks off. The visuals are unbelievable. The volume was earsplitting. The audience were RABID.

An absolute THRILL of an evening.
It sounds and looks amazing. Booked for September and cannot wait.

A day later and I'm still on a high from this. WHAT. A. SHOW!

I've been thinking about how amazing it feels that it's 100% ABBA. Not just the ABBAtars themselves, but the beautiful venue, the quirky setlist, the humour, the quality. It feels like it's come from them and you can feel their involvement and engagement. There are no corporate sponsors, technical partners, etc. that I could see, it is all them. Such a joy of a show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom