ABBA - Voyage

Remember there’s a first listen thread if you don’t want to spoil if for people who don’t have it YET!

I seem to be able to get all the tracks individually, but if I look for the album, only the three singles are there.

Fuck it, someone has helpfully done a playlist. That'll do.

I seem to be able to get all the tracks individually, but if I look for the album, only the three singles are there.

Mine was a bit weird until … well about 8 minutes past midnight. It said they were purchased but no obvious clue it was doing anything about it

2 stars from The Graudian. Reviewer mentions PROBLEMATIC LYRICS and the fact that it feels stuck in the 70s as negatives. Feels HARSH. Will listen tomorrow.

2 stars from The Graudian. Reviewer mentions PROBLEMATIC LYRICS and the fact that it feels stuck in the 70s as negatives. Feels HARSH. Will listen tomorrow.
The STOP FUCKING HATE likes it :D

Problematic? I wonder what they mean? I mean if it just means a bit crap then sure :D

NME 3*
STOP FUCKING HATE 4*
Rolling Stone 4*
Independent 5*
Mirror 5*
Attitude 5*

Grauniad’s was a fairly bad faith hatchet job, but I sort of get where they’re coming from.

It’s a 3* from me at the moment

I'd push to 3.5* on first listen, but would be more inclined to round down than up.

Problematic? I wonder what they mean? I mean if it just means a bit crap then sure :D
Men writing songs from a very old fashioned perspective of what women are I believe is the general complaint. Misogynistic, we don't do that anymore etc. I'm normally on board but YAWN it's ABBA, they're 70 and that has been their whole SCHTICK for half a century.

The reviewer also liked Adele's new single so MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL.

She is the same reviewer who gave Don't Shut Me Down 5* and I Still Have Faith In You 4*.

Men writing songs from a very old fashioned perspective of what women are I believe is the general complaint. Misogynistic, we don't do that anymore etc. I'm normally on board but YAWN it's ABBA, they're 70 and that has been their whole SCHTICK for half a century.

The reviewer also liked Adele's new single so MAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL.

Did I miss the misogyny? Admittedly the diction was a bit of a problem for me. Well ok, I guess if you really want to read something into it you’ll probably find it

Admittedly, Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson have never been the most enlightened lyricists on the feminism front. One of Us and Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) are two Abba songs among many featuring a fraught woman desperate for any man to pop along and quick-fix her loneliness. Now four decades have passed, and one can’t help but despair at the chorus of I Can Be That Woman (“You’re not the man you should’ve been / I let you down somehow”) and that’s after its terrible lyrical twist about a female her husband is sleeping with, who turns out to be … a dog. Keep an Eye on Dan offers another miserable monologue from a pining divorcee, spoiling its fantastic mixture of Visitors-era iciness and Voulez-Vous-era disco propulsion.

Slightly BEWILDERED at this lady's reading of One of Us and Gimme Gimme Gimme! but okay.

Grauniad’s was a fairly bad faith hatchet job, but I sort of get where they’re coming from.

It’s a 3* from me at the moment

This is the second time I've seen "The Grauniad" as a thing on here.

Funny, only place I've ever heard it before is from REALLY RIGHT WING TORIES.

I like it a lot! It slots very very nicely into their studio album discography despite being 40 years in the making (:eyes:) and I like that it's short, and has peaks and troughs like any good ABBA album. And vocally they sound amazing!

Tooh soon for a rate-ette but my favourites and non-favourites are pretty much the same as everyone else's.

ABBA UP!

DearestImpressionableBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

I think I've had dispatch emails from every place I ordered from other than the official store (where most of it is from anyway) now. Bastards.

I'm gonna pop into HMV after work and see what they've got. I never got round to ordering it.

Omg Peeka and I are right wing tories?? I didn’t see it coming :o I mean we are both gay migrant workers!

My deluxe CD from Amazon has been delayed until 16th to 28th November apparently.

Stocking issues...

My deluxe CD from Amazon has been delayed until 16th to 28th November apparently.

Stocking issues...

Apparently one of the factories where the sleeves were being made went on fire. No-one was hurt but the sleeves had to be remade. Saw it on the Steve Hoffman Forums.

Anyway, the postie has been so I'm going to have a hose down and then pop to the shops for mine. BRB.

My album from the official store just arrived. The Agnetha one if it matters.
Did you get a dispatch email yesterday?

Mr L back from Rough Trade and HMV with the blue vinyl and HMV ABBAtar CD and vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom