After Life

floppet

Spider murderer
New Netflix "dark comedy" from Ricky Gervais. I'm absolutely loving it. I loved Derek and this is kind of like anti-Derek. I'm up to episode 4 and I've laughed and cried in every episode, Ricky Gervais really gets across how people feel in real-life rather than what other telly series' would have us believe grieving's like. It's not all doom and gloom, there are some truly hilarious parts too.

If you liked Derek I wholly recommend it.

Netflix keeps trying to push this on me. I can't think of anything that appeals to me less.

I HATED Derek. I used quite like Ricky Gervais's stand up. Tried a bit of the last one of Netflix and fuck me it was horrible.

I liked Derek. I loved this. Watched it all on Sunday. LOLling one minute and in tears the next. And I agree with Floppet entirely about the depiction of grief in it.

I just binge watched all of this today. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and also went through all emotions watching. One of the better things I have caught on Netflix so far.

I just wish there had been more episodes. I think it could have stretched over 12 quite nicely.

I just wish there had been more episodes. I think it could have stretched over 12 quite nicely.

Oh I agree. I thought it would have been 10 episodes long at least. Especially since each episode was only 30 minutes.

Oh I agree. I thought it would have been 10 episodes long at least. Especially since each episode was only 30 minutes.

And that's not just because I would have liked more of it, although obviously i would. It just felt like it was tied up a little too quickly at the end - and within the same episode sometimes, with such short ones, as you say.

It feels a bit of a shame to make shows for Netflix, but then stay within the 6 × 30 minute straitjacket that traditional scheduling favours.

I hate Gervais so much, I can barely find the words. I'd like to burn his face off with napalm and then just go "oh, is that you triggered?" as he screamed in agony.

But given that napalm is dangerous, inaccessible and a bit tricky re. handling, coupled with the fact that I don't actually want to physically harm anyone I'd settle for having a shit in his sock drawer.

I thought he was GREAT in this, but I don’t think I have ever seen him in anything else before. I never watched The Office.

i don't mind gervais and find him occasionally funny but barely got 3/4 through the first episode. thought it was done before and really not funny enough to invest time in when you have so many proper good tv shows banging around.

I loved Extras back in the day and I noticed Ashley Jensen for a second there in the trailer so I might give it a click

right now I'm busy with Better Things (get on it, Moopy) and Love, Death & Robots though

I rewatched season one at the weekend. I think it will end up my favourite work of his.

Has anyone started season two yet?

Floppet, I wasn't sure if you would be up for it or not just yet...

Just started, the 100yr old and the yoga coach in the first episode had me laughing, but whilst I enjoyed the first two episodes it really feel more of the same and a somewhat unnecessary follow up.

Also the therapist is just weird they should have got rid

Last edited:

I probably need to rewatch series two again first though.

Binged S3 last night. Yes Gervais is a cunt but this is really good. :(

Why, when I have never fancied Tim Key before, did his patronising arsehole teacher character do things to me? What’s wrong with me :D

No, the one that Kath (Diane Morgan) had a date with and he kept telling her to sit up straight etc.

I just binged this over the last few weeks with it never having appealed to me before and I honestly think the final episode is one of the best pieces of TV I've seen in years. Beautiful.

A shame Roisin Conaty and Mandeep Ghillon weren't brought back for the last episode like so many of the other less prominent parts though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom