Aimee Mann - Queens of the Summer Hotel

jivafox

slouching towards bethlehem
Pronouns
he/him
THE QUEEN OF POP HAS RETURNED TO EMOTIONALLY DESTROY US

Out November 6th

Aimee Mann returns with new album Queens Of The Summer Hotel out November 5th. This vinyl LP has 15 songs inspired by the book " Girl Interrupted" written by Susannah Kaysen. OUT NOVEMBER 6.

AIMEE MANN—QUEENS OF THE SUMMER HOTEL
1. You Fall
2. Robert Lowell and Sylvia Plath
3. Give Me Fifteen
4. At The Frick Museum
5. Home By Now
6. Checks
7. Little Chameleon
8. You Don't Have The Room
9. Suicide Is Murder
10. You Could Have Been A Roosevelt
11. Burn It Out
12. In Mexico
13. Check (reprise)
14. You're Lost
15. I See You

Anyone for a vinyl, tee shirt and weekend travel bag bundle?

Attachments

• CD7A9289-6E16-4660-A23F-09D6B590A370.jpeg
    CD7A9289-6E16-4660-A23F-09D6B590A370.jpeg
    93.4 KB · Views: 88
Some are giving her heat over the title ‘Suicide Is Murder’, taking it literally. She addressed it as such:

Talking about “Suicide Is Murder,” Mann says:

I started to write this song because I’ve known people who committed suicide and friends who’ve had loved ones die from suicide. I think the phrase “suicide is murder” took on a meaning for me as it’s the worst thing to have to deal with in the aftermath. It’s just terrible. Because every person who knows the person who committed suicide will blame themselves in some way for not noticing or stepping in or doing something. They’ll till the end of their days, say, “Was there something I could have done?”

Some are giving her heat over the title ‘Suicide Is Murder’, taking it literally. She addressed it as such:

Talking about “Suicide Is Murder,” Mann says:

I started to write this song because I’ve known people who committed suicide and friends who’ve had loved ones die from suicide. I think the phrase “suicide is murder” took on a meaning for me as it’s the worst thing to have to deal with in the aftermath. It’s just terrible. Because every person who knows the person who committed suicide will blame themselves in some way for not noticing or stepping in or doing something. They’ll till the end of their days, say, “Was there something I could have done?”

It’s also a direct quote from the novel, so blame Susanna Kaysen!

I’ve never really gotten into Ms Mann. What’s the best place to start? Bachelor #2?

I was about to order when I noticed that the P&P is £34!!!
Really? That’s crazy. I’ll only pay that if I’ve downed a bottle of wine before browsing. I wanted the travel bag to swan onto the plane with it as hand luggage when I go to the Tori gig I’ve tickets for.

I mean, this is how close she is sticking to the source material with these songs. I’m really excited to see what she does with the rest.

1093303-E-7-F63-40-B2-A24-D-626226-B46092.jpg

I guess this one is about Polly, a character in the book who set herself on fire to “burn it out” :(

Can you just burn it out
So thoroughly
You’ll never see
A trace of yourself in the coal
Can you just burn it out of your soul

Ugh QUEEN.

This is out on Friday isn't it? QUITE EXCITED.
From what we've heard it sounds like it bridges the gap between the folky elements of Mental Illness and her earlier sound.

Mental Illness was SUCH a dynamite album. I see it as a sister album to the equally bleak 'Long Gone Before Daylight', and often play them back to back as a result :disco:

I mean let's face it Queen of Pop Aimee Mann actually included the word Queen in her title. Ugh. QUEEN!

I’m having a record store lunchtime on Friday, probably the first since the early 00s or Record Store Day. This will be top of my list to get, hopefully it’s been ordered in. Intend on picking up ABBA and Tori too.

Very good article in the Guardian today, great to see her getting some coverage. I didn’t realise that she had a pretty crazy childhood story and also that the current type of music she is able to play and record is dictated by developing tinnitus and a hearing issue over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Very good article in the Guardian today, great to see her getting some coverage. I didn’t realise that she had a pretty crazy childhood story and also that the current type of music she is able to play and record is dictated by developing tinnitus and a hearing issue over the last couple of years.

Wow this is pretty harrowing. I never knew all of that. :(

On first listen I like it but don't love it. It's a bit like Mental Illness crossed with the songs from Magnolia. So I get the concept. But I think I need some time with it.

It's an interesting listen isn't it? Really quite theatrical at points (which makes complete sense considering the genesis of the album) but will need a few listens for me. I can imagine somebody reviewing it with no real prior knowledge of her work would struggle to define their thoughts :D

"Mental Illness crossed with the songs from Magnolia" is definitely a best-case scenario for me, and is a very fair analysis based on my first listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom