Alanis Morissette - 'Such Pretty Forks In The Road' (and 'Mix') OUT NOW!

Actually I'm just looking forward to the day she plays more from it than just Thank U and So Pure*. :(

* TBF she has done Joining You and Heart Of The House a few times this decade.

It's also off the back of Jagged Little Pill the musical which hits Broadway this month.

Which appears to have had quite good reviews during its previews

Her voice has deepened - we haven't really heard it on record for 7 years and she's now 45. But I like the richness of it! The low notes are great and she has traditionally struggled a bit when it goes too low

Which appears to have had quite good reviews during its previews
Saw it in Boston last year loves. dUb’s on the scene review is that it’s very well orchestrated with some STUNNIN’ numbers eg Forgiven but its big flaw is trying to be WOKE! The Musical, cramming in as many social equality issues as it possibly can. Otherwise it’s pretty much Next to Normal meets a modern-day Spring Awakening if you know THOSE.

I’ve been listening to the Cast Recording today and am obsessed with about half of it. That I Would Be Good in particular. :disco:

Reactions: SDF
That Instagram post says WORLD TOUR but all dates are US. Hopefully she'll come to London. I don't like concerts that much but a double bill of Alanis and Garbage (with Liz Phair also appearing) I'd be TEMPTED BY.

I do wonder if she considers JLP to be a bit of an albatross at this point. I mean, obviously not enough to prevent her doing the musical and this tour, but she does have six albums of back catalogue that she barely gets the chance to touch live.

It's a tough balancing act when you have one record that so towers over everything else you've done, I guess. I'm trying to think of equivalent artists and how they deal with it. Shania Twain maybe? Though I imagine when she tours she's more free to mix it up, because who gives a shit about the album tracks on that one?

I get the impression she struggles with confidence a bit, so performing more-or-less the same show for twenty years probably suits her. It's a shame though, whenever she brings out a 'surprise' it's always flawless.

The concerts I've been to however I would say are 80% Karen from HR's who want all the JLP stuff. It's only really the fanz who want her to mix it up more and they're outnumbered. I would love her to do a small venue Kylie anti-tour but doubt it'll ever happen.

She could play songs from other albums though, she could do a different non-JLP song every show as well as all the JLP stuff but she just recycles the same non-JLP songs (Thank U, So Pure, Uninvited, Everything, Guardian and Flinch). I lost my shit when she played Baba and London at the London show last year. But then again, the audience mostly spoke through Baba so I can see why she might avoid the lesser known songs. I do kind of feel like she's brought it on herself though

In any event, I'm resigned to seeing the same show over and over again, because it's always a great show.

Hopefully she has forgotten Havoc and Bright Lights exists in the same way that she has has completely blanked the So-Called Chaos era

I’m sure she won’t pack away WOMAN DOWN that easily. #metoo

Yes, I'm sure those will be the two keepers from the era. I reckon Woman Down will be like Citizen of the Planet, where she starts doing it at the beginning of tours but drops it quite quickly

Does she ever sing Hands Clean? That's such a good song, and was an actual (modest) hit.

Oh good. I've not seen her before but my friend is pretty keen to go to this gig if it comes to the UK.

The concerts I've been to however I would say are 80% Karen from HR's who want all the JLP stuff. It's only really the fanz who want her to mix it up more and they're outnumbered. I would love her to do a small venue Kylie anti-tour but doubt it'll ever happen.

True, and at the only one I’ve been to I heard someone saying they were disappointed she didn’t sing “I’m A Bitch”.

JLP was very good in its time but truly angry young gays were already dieting on PJ Harvey’s Rid of Me and Hole’s Live Through This.

:D

Are you absolutely sure they didn't want to hear obscure Flavors of Entanglement bonus track It's A Bitch To Grow Up?
I’m pretty sure! Based on the songs they reacted most to (Ironic, You Oughta Know and Head Over Feet if I recall correctly).

My favourite moment was after 2012 show when a slightly drunk mum passed me and @Tischlampe after the Alanis show singing in a sing-song kind of way "Thank you everyone" - that's the sort of thing she's competing with at these gigs

Her voice has deepened - we haven't really heard it on record for 7 years and she's now 45. But I like the richness of it! The low notes are great and she has traditionally struggled a bit when it goes too low
Her voice definitely sounds deeper in places.

I've been listening to Alanis non-stop since this.

The QUEEN has come back to save us all :disco:
Similar except for me it’s a Liz Phair resurgence this thread has provided. ‘Fuck and Run’, love the song, love the lyrics.

You got up out of bed
You said you had a lot of work to do
But I heard the rest in your head
And almost immediately I felt sorry
Cause I didn’t think this would happen again :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom