Alien TV Series

Funky

User
DId we know this was coming?

It has some promise, given that it has been endorsed by Ridley Scott (I assume he's an EP on it) and Fargo's Noah Hawley is the showrunner. Will be on FX and I assume will eventually go to Disney+ given the Fox links.

I liked this quote from Noah:

What’s next for me, it looks like, is [an] Alien series for FX, taking on that franchise and those amazing films by Ridley Scott and James Cameron and David Fincher. Those are great monster movies, but they’re not just monster movies. They’re about humanity trapped between our primordial, parasitic past and our artificial intelligence future—and they’re both trying to kill us. Here you have human beings and they can’t go forward and they can’t go back. So I find that really interesting.

Also this on Ripley/Sigourney Weaver:

It’s not a Ripley story. She’s one of the great characters of all time, and I think the story has been told pretty perfectly, and I don’t want to mess with it. It’s a story that’s set on Earth also. The alien stories are always trapped… Trapped in a prison, trapped in a space ship. I thought it would be interesting to open it up a little bit so that the stakes of “What happens if you can’t contain it?” are more immediate.

On a shift from working class people being the hunted/focus to the white collar scientists/corporations talked about but usually skimmed over in the films

On some level it’s also a story about inequality. You know, one of the things that I love about the first movie is how ’70s a movie it is, and how it’s really this blue collar space-trucker world in which Yaphet Kotto and Harry Dean Stanton are basically Waiting for Godot. They’re like Samuel Beckett characters, ordered to go to a place by a faceless nameless corporation. The second movie is such an ’80s movie, but it’s still about grunts. Paul Reiser is middle management at best. So, it is the story of the people you send to do the dirty work. In mine, you’re also going to see the people who are sending them. So you will see what happens when the inequality we’re struggling with now isn’t resolved. If we as a society can’t figure out how to prop each other up and spread the wealth, then what’s going to happen to us? There’s that great Sigourney Weaver line to Paul Reiser where she says, “I don’t know which species is worse. At least they don’t fuck each other over for a percentage.”

Here for this!

I'm really curious about it, but I do wonder how sustainable the Alien story is for anything longer than a film - surely most of the cast will get dispatched in pretty short order once the aliens show up, and they're basically animals/a force of nature so all the drama has to be centred around people and the company. I definitely want to see what they do with it though, there's a lot of potential there.

Do we know when it's meant to be coming? It feels like it was announced ages ago :o

I don't think I worded that well, I think I mean I'm curious how much the aliens will actually be IN it since anywhere they show up is basically game over (man :eyes:) for anyone unfortunate enough to be there with them. It might be tricky to build a series around that!

I hear what you're saying. But the beauty of Alien was always that it had a lot of social commentary around government and corporate meddling and bio warfare... I mean essentially every movie happened because the government and big business wouldn't leave the xenomorphs alone because they wanted them for bioweapons and so people died. Ripley's constant fight against them was often the more powerful storyline than the Aliens themselves. But that commentary was never allowed to breathe too much in the films for obvious reasons. I think if they explore all of that, and tell us the backstory to Weyland-Yutani and more of that, it could have a lot of potential

It goes into production next year and will air in 2023.

Reactions: COB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom