The Billie Ray Martin and Electribe 101 Chat Oasis

ALBUM? WHAT ALBUM?

I was wondering the exact same thing as there have been no previews to my knowledge, but APPARENTLY there's a "Jon Tiven-produced soul and country album' which FRAU GRUMPS will be debuting next week. There's no release date as yet (I think we've been here before) so it's a TREAT FOR FANS. I personally prefer her to be rather more electronic, but I'm not sure she even speaks to Robert Solheim anymore (see also: almost every former collaborator or producer ever) so we can consider that era to be dead and gone. However, THEREMIN is promised :disco:

I'm off to see Birgit at Shoreditch House next week for an ALBUM FIRST LISTEN PARTY and LIVE SET but I'm not convinced that she's not going to steal the ticket money and put it towards her recent PLEASE PAY FOR OPERATION FOR CATS BECAUSE I POOR AM cash appeal on Facebook

Honestly this woman is a NIGHTMARE

:D

I won't hold my breath for a release but I am VERY MUCH UP for a soul album from her. As nice as her electronic mumblings are, I do love it when she lets rip properly.

Diamond dove
You have been dreaming in the ENTRANCE OF THE NIGHT
You're an ACTRESS
PRINCESS OF THE STARRY EYED

:disco:

I noticed her asking on Facebook the other day whether there was an instrumental mix of 'You're Walking' which momentarily caused me to FLAP MY PANTS about the possibility of a reissued and remastered 'Electribal Memories' with ALL THE REMIXES. Maybe we should pencil that one in for 2034 or perhaps NEVER

I've recently got rid of the vast majority of my vinyl but all my Electribe 101s remain. Truly enduring MEISTERWERKS on every single level and their impact is still intensified by there only ever being one proper album. Such stunning covers and as for the innards :disco:

GOD I LOVE THIS WOMAN

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG JE REGRETTE EVERYTHING LIVE :disco:

Unfortunately she's presumably got a cheap flight booked as the packing up is UNGRACIOUSLY SPEEDY :evil:

Have we pledged for her Memphis soul album (part deux)?

I'm a little concerned by the blurb that these songs were written over ten years ago - is she reusing her old demos that she has already bunged out? Still, she is promising an overdue house music album with any money left over... WE'LL SEE.

a reissued and remastered 'Electribal Memories' with ALL THE REMIXES

I was just LOOKING INTO THIS with the aid of S**ls**k and I didn't realise there were QUITE SO MANY and especially of TALKING WITH MYSELF :david:

The Ambient Groove Mix of You're Walking is rather lovely

I'm guessing we've BEEN HERE BEFORE but on my REMIX QUEST I found the unreleased second Electribe 101 album which has quite a lot of the DEADLINE songs done in QUITE A DIFFERENT STYLEE

I'm guessing we've BEEN HERE BEFORE but on my REMIX QUEST I found the unreleased second Electribe 101 album which has quite a lot of the DEADLINE songs done in QUITE A DIFFERENT STYLEE

REALLY!? WHERE WHERE WHERE!? I didn't know this had leaked AT ALL...

I found it on S**ls**k

I will POP it into BILLIE's GLITTERY SLINGBACKS later on

1. Insatiable Love
2. Space Oasis
3. Deadline For My Memories
4. Moving Downtown (early version of 'Running Around Town')
5. You And I (Keep Holding On)
6. (I Spent Hours Again) Wishing You Well
7. Hands Up And Amen
8. Persuasion
9. True Moments Of My World
10. A Sigh Won't Do
11. Deadline For My Memories (alternate version)

Last edited:
OOOH HOW EXCITING! Thanks!

The OLD BAG was talking about releasing it earlier in the year...

Have we pledged for her Memphis soul album (part deux)?

I'm a little concerned by the blurb that these songs were written over ten years ago - is she reusing her old demos that she has already bunged out? Still, she is promising an overdue house music album with any money left over... WE'LL SEE.

I hope it's called I'm Moaning, You're Bored.

I want to hear her "Kylie pop" song Sattelites she hyped up years ago. Getting to hear Standing By the Mirrorball would be nice too - it was on her MySpace back in the day, back when I hadn't a clue how to rip things. How spoiled we were back then.

Last edited:
Ooh THANKS! I'll download in the morning and have a GROOVE in the CAR on the way to work :disco:

Oh I found two extra trax

12. Conquer Tomorrow
13. Space Oasis (Instrumental Reprise)

I really cannot even count the SEEMINGLY ENDLESS YEARS I've waited to hear that full version of 'Insatiable Love' and I had NO IDEA it was out there. OH MY FUCKING DAYS :disco::disco::disco:

Not giving her a single Pfennig for her silly old soul album though. Apparently she's shat her dreaded POST-PRODUCTION all over it and TWEAKED BITS AND BOBS :grr:

Goodness I'm fair tossing and turning like a SECRET BALLET! :disco:

Oh I've ordered the soul album. ANYTHING with that voice is worth my EUROS.

I forgot all about downloading this last night, by the way. I shall do it IMMINENTLY! Or once Mr Sheena is no longer on the GRAMOPHONE...

Do we know whether the leaked 'Electronic Soul' is the finished version? A lot of it sounds extremely DEMO-TASTIC to me. 'Insatiable Love' is (predictably) the absolute standout for me (and is one of the more finished-sounding ones IMO); as usual I would have just wanted more of exactly the same

In terms of their disbanding, I note that "tensions grew between the members." Oh I BET they did and I bet I know exactly who was getting a SHOUTY STROP ON :eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've listened to most in the car today and yes, it does seem basically to be DEMO TASTIC, which is NICE AND ALL THAT NONETHELESS.

The "new" stuff is the most interesting to me. All the songs we've already heard were much better on "Deadline For My Memories" anyway...

I'm not sure the album ever got finished. I presume it got that far and they played it to FATTY WATKINS and PHONOGRAM and they told them to CUNT OFF

Reactions: Zu
Apparently the "basic level" of funding for the soul album has been reached - and is indeed at 169% - but it's not enough for our very own QUEEN OF DISSATISFACTION, who's got cats to feed and is begging for MORE MORE MORE on Facebook

Apparently the "basic level" of funding for the soul album has been reached - and is indeed at 169% - but it's not enough for our very own QUEEN OF DISSATISFACTION, who's got cats to feed and is begging for MORE MORE MORE on Facebook

I see she seems to have now abandoned her chatter about 300% being a NECESSITY.

Not that I am one to moan (!) but looking at the album tracklisting, she has released the majority of it in some form previously. I am expecting some remarkable reinventions.

Well that is one SHRILL SOUNDING version of That's How Strong My Love Is. Otherwise on first listen it is pleasant enough.

Also I see she she was watching the cents and cut up a large jiffy bag into two to hold my CD rather than shelling out for individual jiffys.

Also I see she she was watching the cents and cut up a large jiffy bag into two to hold my CD rather than shelling out for individual jiffys.

:D TIGHT COW. There's apparently some gig coming up in London at the Jazz Cafe on Friday but after all her lies last time about there being live theremin when in fact it was just her and a cassette (and an unseemly rush out the door at the end), I can't be bothered. Also, it's STANDING :zombie:

Is this woman basically just a (slightly) more upmarket version of HAZEL DEAN at this point?

Is this woman basically just a (slightly) more upmarket version of HAZEL DEAN at this point?

:D HOW DARE YOU. Yes, probably. There was some truly fearful dancing from the crowd very near the stage (such as it was) at the last gig I went to, which she didn't exactly discourage. I might go on Friday to heckle and scream for 'Back In My Arms (Once Again)' and create a scene if she doesn't do her ABBA covers

My album's arrived but I haven't been arsed putting it on yet...which says it all

2 Cents for a Heart of Gold, Glittering Gutter, and Strongheaded Woman? Why Billie, you're really spoiling us. No You're Driving, I'm Bored? These songs were leaked over 10 years ago! £7.99 on iTunes, I shouldn't complain, but it's no pettier than the woman herself :D

Last edited:
Loving the country grunge screech-fest That's How Strong My Love Is. It's under 3 minutes as well, thank the lord. Gotta say, it's a very good set so far, but knowing how lazy the mad hatter is does sour the soul.

And doesn't the dirt-kickin' rodeo-grinding Skin on the Wheel just waltz into the place like one of those whores that caught Dolly's imagination and set her dreams on fire. It's not a song, it's just ultra groovy and a wee bit dirty. Billie won't go down without a fight.

I threw it on in the car last night and what I've heard so far, I confess, is RATHER NICE. That voice is UNDENIABLE, after all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom