And Just Like That... (Sex & The City revival)

I guess the problem is that the show wants to cover everything at once. Each little storyline on its own is fine but when they’re all being squeezed into a couple of episodes it all seemed a bit rushed and jarring.
Yes it feels like the first four episodes spend way too much time on restoring some of its previous faults. I just really want some of the escapist fantasy & comedy to return. I would love to feel that SOMEONE might just fall out of a window at a party.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the people of colour representation in the show... they've gone from 0 to 60 in the space of the finale of SATC and the pilot of the new show... They had to do SOMETHING but I think it might have made a bit more sense if these characters were either introduced gradually or were referenced as being friends for a long time between shows. It's like they all suddenly got new token brown friends in the space of a week for the first time ever :D

I did like the Charlotte party planning storyline though - it was far from subtle but they were honest about her desperation to get everything right. At least they can be tongue in cheek about it.

ANyway I'm being very critical for a show that I still enjoy, I think they are damned if they do or don't with these things and I'd rather they tried it than continued to ignore it. It's hardly a disaster, it was always going to be difficult playing representation catch up after 30 years of getting it wrong

I did like the Charlotte party planning storyline though - it was far from subtle but they were honest about her desperation to get everything right. At least they can be tongue in cheek about it.

That part I liked too because it’s a great representation of (American) society today. They’ve always been obsessed with race, but it feels like more than ever now; the fact that Charlotte needed to add people for the sake of their race and not because of who they are is very telling, but with the added nice twist of having her friend thinking the same by wanting to add white people.

Yes it feels like the first four episodes spend way too much time on restoring some of its previous faults. I just really want some of the escapist fantasy & comedy to return. I would love to feel that SOMEONE might just fall out of a window at a party.

It would be great to have some laughs. Literally any laughs would be great.

The writers seem to have forgotten that Sex And The City was funny.

Carrie was often the unwatchable factor in SATC. Some of her behaviour was fairly terrible, I never understood why people (Miranda) didn’t just slap her more often, and I was THRILLED when Berger dumped her by Post-It :disco:
I watched some over the weekend and was astonished at just what a brat she was! When she went to ‘the country’ with Aidan (which was for one weekend and it was literally upstate New York) and the world was just entirely and absolutely over for her. Ridiculous. She really needed put in her place more often, but her friends were such enablers.

Samantha (or rather Kim) was funny. SATC not so much. It just doesn't have the za za zu without her.
I watched various clips from the old series, which I haven't seen in years, last night and Samantha was hit and miss to say the least. often the others are having some semblance of a real conversation and she's there only to just in with smutty zingers. half the time she's practically winking into camera. I'd forgotten how shallow her character was.

but she also had extremely iconic moments

overall I think Samantha had her day and isn't missed. and it's far from true that only she brought the humour to SATC.

The reason I say it feels like it comes from nowhere is because Miranda literally had a storyline where she goes along with it when mistaken for one half of a lesbian couple at her firm, and goes as far as kissing the woman they set her up with just to see, and then concludes she feels nothing and is straight after all. I know sexuality can evolve but they are really conveniently ignoring that.
Again I don't find that an issue at all. It was two decades ago. People change. Perhaps they will pick it up as the story develops, but even if they don't, I really don't see the problem within the context of the type of show it is. It doesn't for me make the story any less valid now.

I've got three female friends who identify as lesbians now who all didn't come out until their 40s, two after twenty year relationships or marriages to men. Probably a bit younger than Miranda is now, but crucially (well, I think), two of them had children in their late teens at that point. I'm just enjoying seeing the story being told.

The only way I would say it feels like it's come out of nowhere (and I hadn't really thought about this until what people have posted above) is that they have been trying to squeeze everything in, in terms of righting wrongs and establishing/re-establishing character. So a storyline like this which does need more does feel rushed.

I also agree Samantha was hit and miss. She camped it up too often and became a caricature of a caricature by the end. i appreciate she was very much part of the mix though and rounded out the group well… but I don’t find myself missing her at all.

So shocked Miranda’s a lesbian there were no hints in the original show.

5ewgstamgpk61.jpg

3226f8f55a66e44dadf62fa781885006.jpg

satc131610530506.jpg

sub-buzz-16898-1515186189-18.png

sub-buzz-11593-1515176453-1.png

sub-buzz-4071-1515172382-14.png

I don't know if I'm a hollower or sagger. I mean, I've known I'm hollow on the inside for years, but fingers crossed for the outside too.

I'm starting to think Cynthia wrote her scenes herself. I did laugh at the son conversation through the door.

This episode was directed by Cynthia.

I loved the picknick scene, it felt like the old show. Charlotte’s reactions to the other girls’ ”affairs” and the likes are always fun.

In the SATC episodes I’ve just been exposed to watched, Carrie starts dating someone who is bisexual and in their discussion of it Samantha is the only one to say people should be able to do whatever they want. However, episodes later they all engage in shocking transphobia.

I thought it might be quite funny to start a thread where I watch one episode a day and call it How Carrie Was a C*nt Today and just leave a sentence explaining, because it’s honestly becoming a game in itself to see what awful thing she’ll do next. :D

We’ve had this discussion before but there’s something about American comedy shows where the main character is almost always the worst of the whole cast. I’d say Carrie is almost less likable than Lena Dunham’s character in Girls (for comparison).

Had Carrie really never heard of Diwali before? :D
It didn’t surprise me, she was often utterly dense beyond her immediate orbit (and then often quite hostile to variety of the human condition, if she didn’t care for it).

Another good episode! I’m really enjoying this to be honest, the picnic scene was great and if you just take it for what it is well… it was never perfect, it still isn’t but it’s enjoyable enough to outweigh the dross.

I don’t need to see Miranda’s fantasies ever again mind.

I thought Carrie talking Miranda into not storming off was very effective (and relatable). It was a nice moment.

I never watched the original series apart from clips of Samantha here and there and I unfortunately watched the 1st movie, but this has been quite enjoyable so far. I hate the constant show of money rubbed in my face, but I guess is part of the concept.
The latest episode was the best so far.

Watching the 'Atlantic City' episode and it is Carrie at her almost worst, ruining Charlotte's birthday. I also enjoyed the visible hand of SJP's exec producer credit when she suggests the men at the roulette table ask Charlotte to blow on their dice for good luck, only to insist Carrie does as the 'hot one' (as though Charlotte wasn't the most utterly gorgeous :D).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom