Angel Olsen - All The Good Times (Single) & Big Time (Album)

FetchFugly

Pregnant
Some classic country soul feels on the new single:

The verses remind me of something in particular I can't place. The album is out 3rd June:

Big Time is an album about the expansive power of new love, but this brightness and optimism is tempered by a profound and layered sense of loss. During Olsen’s process of coming to terms with her queerness and confronting the traumas that had been keeping her from fully accepting herself, she felt it was time to come out to her parents, a hurdle she’d been avoiding for some time. “Finally, at the ripe age of 34, I was free to be me,” she said. Three days later, her father died and shortly after her mother passed away. The shards of this grief—the shortening of her chance to finally be seen more fully by her parents— are scattered throughout the album.
Three weeks after her mother’s funeral she was in the studio, recording this incredibly wise and tender new album.

Oh god :(

Straight away, there's a part of me that would feel ghoulish listening to this even tho' I bought her last album and enjoyed it. But then, isn't that one of the things music is really for? The expression and catharsis of the hardest emotions? I mean, I know I'm going to buy this but there is some trepidation.

Album is pretty stunning:

Ghost On and the closing track especially gorgeous, with Right On fully rousing by Angel's more often than not gloomy standards.

There's apparently a short film as well.

It is definitely a soulful mood. Angel is so prolific, looking forward to the rest of the EP if this is the standard of Big Time cast-offs.

The title track is my least favourite currently, it is very sparse. Both the other new songs are immediate keepers though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom