Ashanti - Foolish

See my days are cold without you...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
This was *such* a big deal in 2002, albiet haunted by rumours that it was basically such a big a hit due to SHADY DEALS and MONEY LAUNDERING :basil:

Whether that's in any way true or not, does it hold up two decades later?

Its not something I listen to all the time, but I like it a lot when it's on. It was sampled pretty heavily in a big US hit this year:

Ashanti appeared on the remix (sounding pretty good), so she's kind of back

I mean it's a good tune but it's all about the hook, which is a sample of a sample, nothing to do with poor beige Ashanti. I never really liked her tbh

Only U definitely feels like the keeper from her rather thin discography. That would've been a great random #1, though sadly it couldn't even overcome one of those shitty Elvis reissues that clogged the charts in 2005.

I really like this, I mean 2004(?) had so much shit, this was definitely above it for me. And who doesn’t love a new RnB lady?

I didn’t really stan after that, Always on time was a vibe (was Ja Rule cancelled or was he ok?). I have 5 Ashanti solo songs in my library so

1. Foolish
2. Happy
3. Rock with U (oh baby)
4. Only U
5. Rain on me

All good though

I never understood how this was such a big hit. It’s not a bad song but it’s so unmemorable (I always struggle to remember how it goes).

This was a period where Ja Rule could score a hit anywhere.

I also love the one that samples "Bennie and the Jets" :D

I've never ever heard that before :D

The songs are okay. But her voice was so boring.

Early 00s R&B (apart from the neo soul stuff) was so boring. Ashanti, Ciara and Christina Milian. Ugh.

Thank God "Milkshake" and "Crazy In Love" came along in 2003 to save us all.

Fuck I miss this era of tinny R&B.

This song is brilliant. I hated it at the time, but at some point it clicked and I think it's her best track.

She's still shit though of course.

Ciara is leagues above the other two. DON'T EVEN.
Ciara is so good, especially her self titled album. And the singles from her first two albums still sound great imo.

I have a soft spot for Dip It Low and AM to PM but Christina Millian was mostly forgettable

Yes, poor UGGO Christina Milian! :D

I wasn’t saying she was UGGO!
I mean she just seemed a bit too nice, I mean AM PM, It’s all Gravy (:)) weren’t exactly bad bitch energy

I don’t think she’s gonna show how to make my man sing (oh!)

Reactions: COB
Can we just have a Christina Miriam thread now VoR has derailed Ashanti’s because… Christina’s black too? 🤷‍♂️

Christina Milian was one of those early 00s pop stars who, in the absence of US success, realised there was money to be had in decamping to the UK for a few years.

Kelly Rowland had a similar trajectory with her #1, platinum selling debut SIMPLY DEEP, featuring such UNFORGETTABLE SMASH HITS as CAN'T NOBODY and TRAIN ON A TRACK

Milian is bloody fabulous and I won’t hear otherwise. Three actually great little albums and plenty of bops :disco:

I quite like Ashanti as well, but much preferred her from album two onwards.

Even though I haven't actively listened to this for ages I could still sing the entire chorus from memory. A solid turn of the century bop.

She hasn't released an album in nearly 8 years.

Dip It Low > anything Ashanti farted out
no-lies-detected-lie-detector.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom