Asteroid City (new Wes Anderson)

Your deadpan mark out of a deadpan 10

• Total voters

Finn

User
Pronouns
he/him
I'd not heard a thing about this until a week ago and then suddenly it was IN CINEMAS, but I went and I liked it a lot.

A lot of Wes' films have outright got on my tits, but I found his schtick was put to good use here - for me it's a sweet, engaging watch with a nice mix of characters and storylines, and probably the best looking film I've seen this year. 10/10 for production design. I'd put this up there with Grand Budapest as my favourite Wes Anderson films.

Last edited:
Not as grating as French Dispatch but not as effective as Grand Budapest.

Still enjoyable and very pretty to look at.

This just looks like typical Wes Anderson quirky style over substance bollocks, and it gets me irrationally angry. Will be skipping.

That's normally my complaint with Wes and ultimately it IS true of this - but the style's so good and there is a bit more substance, so I was happy to go along with it here.

Oh I see it’s Tom Hanks dressed as Bill Murray, hoping nobody notices.

This just looks like typical Wes Anderson quirky style over substance bollocks, and it gets me irrationally angry. Will be skipping.

I hope you don’t feel this way about The Grand Budapest Hotel

:kim:

Apparently Murray was supposed to be in this - he's been in every Wes Anderson film to date since Rushmore - but he had to pull out after contracting COVID.

So yes, I'd imagine Hanks stepped into his role.

Yeah I’m not usually a fan, and only saw The French Dispatch for one reason, but I love the aesthetic of this one so will probably go and see it.

I loved it. It really is GORGEOUS, but entertaining as well - quite a few giggles.

Apparently Bill Murray was actually supposed to be Steve Carell's part - the hotel manager. So he and Tom Hanks could have both been in it, just to confuse everyone.

I loved this. I don’t think Wes Anderson gets enough credit for how experimental he is, and also how funny. I especially liked how the meta narrative of the play allowed him to comment on the nature of being an artist, and acting as an unique form of expression (as well as, y’know, being a movie about precocious kids, grief, military overreach and freaky lil dudes from space).

It’s really stuck with me in the days since I saw it. I’ve given it 9 but I imagine this will be an all timer for me on rewatch(es).

I really enjoyed this. Lovely to look at, and I loved the various framing devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom