Ava Max - So Am I

VoR

Take it or leave it
The followup to Sweet But Psycho is out.

I like it, but it sounds like a classic One Hit Wonder followup single to my ears.

*Ava goes on to Katy Perry-sized career*

This sounds like a cheap-knock off of that 'empowerment anthem' moment that happened like ten years ago. The video is embarrassing, her wig is the worst, the lyrics make me cringe. It's utter dreck and I love it :disco:

This is an absolute embarrassment (and I love Sweet But Psycho). Those chorus lyrics... fuck me.

Just pop on Thursday by the Glynne if you really need a popstar telling you to love yourself.

I'm officially obsessed with this complete and utter disaster of a single.

The horribly patronising lyrics, the cheap surrounding herself with minorities in order to appear relatable while looking like an actual barbie doll, the 35 year old backing dancers crumping in what may nor may not be the same school uniforms they wore in the ...Baby One More Time video!

It's an instant classic and the most excited I've been about a pop flop in years.

Pop stars in their mid-20s pretending they actually still attend an American high school is one of my favourite things too.

This is just a bad Jessie J self-help single from 2013. I don't even like it ironically, which because of my internet-induced brain trauma is basically the harshest thing I can say. I'm really surprised people were touting her as the next new Gaga, even the first single felt like a copy of a copy. Fast food music!

In fact the whole thing is giving me grim flashbacks to early 2010s stuff like this. I hate that strain of song too but I'll take just fucking asinine, tasteless wealth-glorifying shit like 7 Rings over patronising anthems about how celebrities think I should be myself any day.

1*Plqh1dpK9BjD-eld1kNPqg.jpeg

Thought this was a load of shit.

A few plays on the radio and I love it, despite the awful lyrics.

Also, somewhat oddly (well, not given the success of the last one, but I still think this was a risk), it is flying up in the UK - top 20 midweek and zooming up Spotify.

If I was her manager I'd have her EVERYWHERE right now, like Gaga was in her Fame days.

There's obviously an appetite for with So Am I becoming a quick hit despite being god-awful. She just seems to be a NOT PRESENT.

I don't find this as bad as some seem to - but then I don't think Sweet But Psycho deserved the pedestal some put it on anyway.

Up to #18 this week and still growing on spotify, so I think it's probably fair to say she's escaped the possibility of being a one hit wonder.

It must only be the streaming ratio business that has allowed it to overtake Sweet But Psycho this week, though. I'd never really considered before how that could help push a newer single by an act while the old one is still everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom