Backstreet Boys vs *NSYNC

Backstreet Boys vs *NSYNC

• Total voters
As Long As You Love Me was definitely Maxine Carr's favourite song.

I don't care who you are (who you are)
Where you're from (where you're from)
What you did
As long as you love me (I don't know)
Who you are (who you are)
Where you're from (where you're from)
Don't care what you did
As long as you love me (yeah)
As long as you love me
As long as you love me
It's the '(yeah)' that's really sending me tho :D

They were all fuckable - the Everybody video was peak fuckability (when they weren’t in monster makeup)

One of my first internet ventures was finding a shirtless picture of Nick Carter, printing it out and keeping it in a briefcase with my gay shame. Did I say this already recently?!

emily-thornberry-well-there-we-are.gif

They were all fuckable - the Everybody video was peak fuckability (when they weren’t in monster makeup)

One of my first internet ventures was finding a shirtless picture of Nick Carter, printing it out and keeping it in a briefcase with my gay shame. Did I say this already recently?!

Everyone fancied Nick in school (well, the girls did, who knew what other gays lurked and thought in secondary school) and I never got it. I think it was the hair - curtains just looked SO SILLY.

I was all about Kevin and wanting his BUSHY BROWS in me

Everyone fancied Nick in school (well, the girls did, who knew what other gays lurked and thought in secondary school) and I never got it. I think it was the hair - curtains just looked SO SILLY.

I was all about Kevin and wanting his BUSHY BROWS in me

Well the curtains didn’t do a lot in the first album videos but it got better. I always always a sucker for the blondes anyway

I think I preferred *Nsync at the time, especially because they were brave enough to let go of the Cheiron sound which meant basically the kiss of death but then they managed to stay afloat for a while. I'm sorry for the rest due to Justin thinking he was better than them and believing his own hype; I think they could have lasted for at least another album.

As for BSB I think staying with the Cheiron sounds did a reverse on them, like it's been mentioned here already, by the year 2000 almost every song started to sound like the last one (same with Britney), and when they tried to break away it was too late :(

I think almost everyone has said it already: BSB were just so much more iconic and important in the UK. Everybody, As Long As You Love Me, I Want It That Way, Larger Than Life, Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely and maybe even Shape of My Heart are all pop moments.

I think N'Sync only really had two equally impactful singles: Bye Bye Bye and Girlfriend. That said, I adore I Want You Back, Gone, I'll Never Stop and especially POP!

I think almost everyone has said it already: BSB were just so much more iconic and important in the UK. Everybody, As Long As You Love Me, I Want It That Way, Larger Than Life, Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely and maybe even Shape of My Heart are all pop moments.

I think N'Sync only really had two equally impactful singles: Bye Bye Bye and Girlfriend. That said, I adore I Want You Back, Gone, I'll Never Stop and especially POP!
It’s gonna Be MAEEE was also iconica

I will always claim I Just Want You To Know in my BSB Top 10, probably my favorite thing they did after their imperial era. Also, the NKOTB collab Don't Turn Off The Lights was kind of a bop.

In the country that more or less made BSB they were beyond huge and every song they released was a big hit. N’Sync only really emerged here in 2000.

Reminds me of when you constantly mentioned granola :D

I agree. And I can't really tell the difference between It's Gonna Be Me, Bye Bye Bye and I Want You Back. It's the same song.
Writing a good pop song is the hardest thing in music to do, and all three are distinct masterpieces. Like classical music, it takes training of the ear to recognise the subtle nuances.

I'm sure this was very close before I voted.

I'll Be The One <3

Get Another Boyfriend also a corker.

Let's not forget Nick even had some good ones: Blow Your Mind and I Just Wanna Take You Home were almost ahead of their time in terms of forwarding the Max Martin sound. And JC tops them all with his Basement Jaxx feature Plug It In.

This is a good long-read on Backstreet Boys & N'Sync, as the Stereogum US #1s column finally reaches the latter group's only chart topper.

(Now that it's into the early 2000s, that column really is a gold mine)

This is a good long-read on Backstreet Boys & N'Sync, as the Stereogum US #1s column finally reaches the latter group's only chart topper.

(Now that it's into the early 2000s, that column really is a gold mine)
I’ve been reading the column and I’m up to the late 70s. Even the ones on artists I don’t care about (the eagles) are interesting

Reactions: VoR
I’m fascinated by some of the random shit that got to #1 in America in the early 00s. In its own way, it was as chaotic as the UK charts were at the time.

I mean who the fuck were VERTICAL HORIZON?

I’m fascinated by some of the random shit that got to #1 in America in the early 00s. In its own way, it was as chaotic as the UK charts were at the time.

I mean who the fuck were VERTICAL HORIZON?
The natural bridge between Creed and Nickelback?

Reactions: VoR
I had Vertical Horizon's album :basil: Everything You Are :love::love::love:

I blame Michelle Branch and Vanessa Carlton. (As well as Lifehouse and Creed).

One of the most random shit things I remember going to #1 was Eamon - Fuck It.

That was #1 everywhere though. I'm much more interested in bizarre localised quirks.

The write up for Divine's Lately (as covered by Samantha Mumba) is quite interesting in that regard, as the whole thing appears to have been a successful exercise in money laundering. :basil:

Listening to Everytbing You Want now, it’s better than I gave it credit for

That was #1 everywhere though. I'm much more interested in bizarre localised quirks.

The write up for Divine's Lately (as covered by Samantha Mumba) is quite interesting in that regard, as the whole thing appears to have been a successful exercise in money laundering. :basil:

This made me chuckle:

Even the Billboard institutional memory of Divine seems to be just about nothing; on the magazine’s website, the thumbnail photo of Divine is the Divine who was in the John Waters movies, even though that Divine had been dead for a decade by the time “Lately” reached #1.

Tearin’ Up My Heart must be my favourite boyband song ever. Otherwise, it’s neck and neck between these two.

JC and TB in the music video were an awakening at the time :horny:

I wonder if I'd let Joey join in nowadays next time I watch. I think I do know the answer of course.

The BSB run of singles from "As Long As You Love Me" to "The Call" is incredible, the last three (The One, Shape, Call) are probably my three favourites.

*NSYNC had some absolutely bangers but BSB have more than a dozen 9/10 or 10/10, also from the "Never Gone" album. A slam dunk vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom