Best NELLY FURTADO Single(s)

Followmefollowmefollowmedowndowndowndown

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
For no real reason a weekend barbecue with my friends yesterday briefly transformed into a mini Nelly Furtado appreciation party, because that's just how we roll. Considering she only really had three successful albums and never enjoyed *that* much career momentum, she managed to pack in a lot of very good songs before utterly vanishing off the face of the earth.

What are your favourites? Rate as well if you wish.

00 I'm Like a Bird
00 Turn off the Light
00 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
00 Powerless (Say What You Want)
00 Try
00 Forca
00 Explode
00 Promiscuous
00 Maneater
00 Say It Right
00 All Good Things (Come To An End)
00 Do It
00 In God's Hands
00 Manos al Aire
00 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
00 Spirit Indestructible
00 Waiting for the Night

00 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
00 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)
00 Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

Last edited:
10 I'm Like a Bird - I know this was overplayed that summer, but it really is great. It's such a lifting song - what a great debut single.
09 Turn off the Light - Got caught lip-synching for my life to this by my cousin and it was hella embarrassing.
06 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
07 Powerless (Say What You Want)
09 Try - Almost great, but it never really repeats the last chorus in the last third, and just goes into wailing. A disappointing finish from what is otherwise a hot top.
?? Forca
?? Explode
03 Promiscuous
10 Maneater - What a great comeback. It actually sounds like a band of marching slutty maneaters.
11 Say It Right - perfect. So sad and understated.
09.5 All Good Things (Come To An End)
?? Do It
?? In God's Hands
?? Manos al Aire
10 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) - Still love this :D I love any song where you have to wait 3 minutes for a chorus.
08 Spirit Indestructible - see Try. Almost there.
?? Waiting for the Night

Waiting for the Night was released far too late to save the catastrophic 'Spirit Indestructible' campaign, but it's a very good song and one of her more tolerable vocal performances on that album.

Last edited:
09 I'm Like a Bird
07 Turn off the Light
09 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
10 Powerless (Say What You Want)
10 Try
06 Forca
07 Explode
08 Promiscuous
09 Maneater
09 Say It Right
09 All Good Things (Come To An End)
07 Do It
09 In God's Hands
09 Manos al Aire
05 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
06 Spirit Indestructible
07 Waiting for the Night

07 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
07 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)
?? Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

Last edited:
Try, Forca and Say It Right. The rest (the ones I know at least) are good but all feel a bit gimmicky.

The Loose album has aged very badly (unsurprisingly, given how of its time it was) but it's still a fun listen. My latter-day favourite from the album is Wait For You - I hadn't picked up at the time how obvious it was that it totally would have been a 2006 Aaliyah single.

09 I'm Like a Bird
?? Turn off the Light
?? Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
09 Powerless (Say What You Want) - LOVE this hippy bollocks
11 Try - god I fucking love this so much
?? Forca
?? Explode
07 Promiscuous - this has dated badly but it's still good fun
09 Maneater - utter FILTH. Even though it kicked off that whole sound I'm still quite surprised it made it to number one in retrospect
11 Say It Right - the sound of travelling to new planes of existence and being rejected by everyone there too
08 All Good Things (Come To An End) - I can't really listen to this anymore as it's so cloying, but I loved it at the time.
09 Do It - pure candied joy
05 In God's Hands
09 Manos al Aire - I really like this but it's as if she decided to just carry straight on from Powerless
10 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) - FUCKING INCREDIBLE AND I WON'T HEAR A WORD AGAINST IT
06 Spirit Indestructible
09 Waiting for the Night - very good but far too late to do anything

07 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison) - MoR at its most tolerable
-1 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake) - an embarrassment for everyone concerned. Nothing says mature like launching an entitled diss track off Fergie saying the word 'promiscuous' in a song and Prince making a joke about how sexy never left. At the very least they could've made a beat that didn't sound like a COCONUT FALLING DOWN THE STAIRS :daf:
08 Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland) - I like it but jesus this couldn't sound more 2009 if it tried

You don't remember Turn Off the Light? It was a pretty big hit at the time.

Last edited:
Nope. On listening, love the production and the verses but the chorus leaves a lot to be desired.

She's someone I've never really had that much of an opinion on, but I felt like I had to come and register my support for the almost impossibly good Try. Nothing else I've heard from her has been anything like it.

Poor unloved Fun For Europe 'anthem' 'Força" :D I clicked all four of the big Loose singles, now there was an album campaign executed to (near-)perfection. I'm pretty sure I haven't heard "Big Hoops (Bigger the Better)" a single time since autumn 2012, perhaps I ought to revisit given its relatively many votes here. Unless its very floppage and obscurity is meant to be a big part of its appeal? After all 'carcrash non-hit singles that accelerate a singer's career decline' seem to be particularly popular on Moopy.

I like Forca and Powerless, I just forgot about them. The second album is the only one I listen to these days.

Can't choose between Try, All Good Things and I'm Like a Bird for ultimate fave, all 10/10 moments. Love Big Hoops, Promiscuous and Manos al Aire too. Always thought Maneater was rather shit.

09 I'm Like a Bird
09 Turn off the Light
07 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
10 Powerless (Say What You Want)
10 Try
06 Forca
06 Explode
09 Promiscuous
10 Maneater
10 Say It Right
10 All Good Things (Come To An End)
07 Do It
06 In God's Hands
08 Manos al Aire
06 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
08 Spirit Indestructible
08 Waiting for the Night

08 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
07 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)
08 Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

Say It Right is stunning, but Try has a rather personal effect on me, like few songs manage.

I really hate rating stuff at the moment but all of these songs are at least very good as far as I'm concerned, with a few (Turn Off The Light, Try, Say It Right) being standouts :)

I like Forca and Powerless, I just forgot about them. The second album is the only one I listen to these days.

The second album is still one of my overall faves which I can listen to beginning to end. Loved the mix of sounds, aesthetics and videos!

Can't believe VoR forgot THESE smash hits ( :evil: ) including the (only) released single from her Greatest Hits (which its tracklist was awful, who the hell handled it?)

Who Wants to be Alone

The Night is Young

Parking Lot

Last edited by a moderator:
There's something about the first 3 songs of Folklore that will rarely be matched, truly an iconic set. Trying to get the MTV Europe crowd to chant along to Forca was humiliating, but I've been lapping that one up since day 1.

Was Girlfriend In The City a single anywhere? I have a real soft spot for that one.

(Lifestyle OUT SOON)

I voted for at least half the songs. I do love ol' Furtado. I think I may have gone along to see her on the Folklore London date! :shy:

Night is Young and Who Wants to be Alone must be added.

She's had too many random flop/international singles. I had to draw the line somewhere.

To me, Say It Right was a strangely modern update of the classic 70s Cher whore ballad. I didn't mind the "the bigger the better (the better)" one, but she was dangerously close to Smack the Pony territory.

I'm sure it's been posted before, but I've always rather enjoyed this 'mashup' that was produced to promote her Greatest Hits album:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Try" is my favourite, it's absolutely glorious.

10 I'm Like a Bird
09 Turn off the Light
09 Shit on the Radio (I Remember The Days)
09 Powerless (Say What You Want)
11 Try
05 Forca
07 Explode
07 Promiscuous
08 Maneater
08 Say It Right
08 All Good Things (Come To An End)
05 Do It
07 In God's Hands
06 Manos al Aire
07 Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)
07 Spirit Indestructible
07 Waiting for the Night

05 Broken Strings (W/James Morrison)
05 Give it to Me (W/Timbaland & Justin Timberlake)
05 Morning After Dark (W/Timbaland)

She was TERRIBLE before "Loose", she was PHENOMENAL during "Loose" and she was TERRIBLE after "Loose"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom