Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sheena

ROMANCE
Covered in CAMP stylee by Deja Vu and Tamsin a couple of years ago you MAY remember but there is a SIMILARLY camp and even MORE FABULOUS version of Bette's OWN version DANCIN around WinMX

I DEMAND you go get it- its SUPREME

I'd shine in your eyes like a JEWEL, how i WANT to deserve YOU

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh LOOK its the non-provocative, DESPERATELY not trying hard to provoke controversy LESBIAN we all know and, ahem, love

*NEXT*

Am I horribly mistaken, or was it written by Maria McKee?

Tis FAR too old for McKee, n'est-ce-pas ?

Anyway, its WONDERFUL

I have the Bette maxi single knocking about somewhere. I might dig it out now.

Originally posted by Mike W
I have the Bette maxi single knocking about somewhere. I might dig it out now.

Oh DO ! Its had ME mincing for QUITE some time this evening...

If my memory serves me well, it has loads of remixes on it. Some of them were a bit samey though. However, I do love that song and even bought the Almighty single too.

The song is FABULOUS- its one of the few Almighty "cover" singles I think work well as a stand alone single...

Absolutely!!! If I'm totally honest, I must confess that I heard the Almighty version first, bought that and then went and sought out Bette's. Definitely one of my all-time favourite Almighty tracks.

Originally posted by Mike W
Absolutely!!! If I'm totally honest, I must confess that I heard the Almighty version first, bought that and then went and sought out Bette's. Definitely one of my all-time favourite Almighty tracks.

EXACTLY the same as me. Its one of the very best...

Im not sure I really like all that many of their other "covers". Most of em are ok and alright in the place of a camp version of the original but most I could live without...

Originally posted by Sheena
EXACTLY the same as me. Its one of the very best...

Im not sure I really like all that many of their other "covers". Most of em are ok and alright in the place of a camp version of the original but most I could live without...

I have a couple of the Almighty Definitive albums. Some of the stuff is alright, but a lot of it is quite formulaic.

God I adore this melodramatic nonsense. Definitely the forgotten sister in the canon of ageing gay icons belatedly hitting the dancefloor in the 90s.

"I didn't WANT YOU to SEE ME like THIS
So FRIGHTENED of LOSING SO SOON"

The great thing about Bette is that she genuine sings it in caps.

I like that it was a massive hit in the Netherlands and NOWHERE ELSE.

Last edited:
Love it, and love all of Bette's ridiculously camp forays into into dance, especially her cover of In These Shoes

How many other dance songs has she done? I much prefer Kirsty's take on In These Shoes, and I'm not sure I know any others...

Not that many actually aside from those two, now that I think of it :D The BIG THREE for me are To Deserve You, In These Shoes and I'm Beautiful. There is of course her amazing disco album Thighs And Whispers

Big noise blew in from WINNETKA!
Big noise blew RIGHT OUT AGAIN!

The Deja Vu featuring Tasmin version is one of my favourite songs of all time.

Absolute 10/10. So thankful for early Almighty and Queer As Folk for introducing me so such anthems!

I love everything about this, from the bridal octopus video, layer upon layer of lustrous gasping, air-tight house beats, not to mention the immense trust Bette must have had in her director to prance about like that and face the consequences of those close-ups requiring a mere dozen or so lights on blast. That she resisted a full blown dance album remains a mystery.

I'd only ever heard the dance version of this so it was a bit of a revelation to discover there was an original version when it popped up on a Spotify playlist.

Reactions: VoR
The only reason it's not a 10 is because 'As dreams go by' is even better.

I'd only ever heard the dance version of this so it was a bit of a revelation to discover there was an original version when it popped up on a Spotify playlist.

Imagine the horror if you were expecting the dance version and that plopped up.

Oh it’s not bad or anything, but if I’ve unscrewed the poppers, I want something to SNORT them to

Bette Midler's voice is too small for this song. (Ditto Bacharach & Costello's "God Give Me Strength")

I'd like to hear Maria McKee's demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom