Bob Dylan turns 80

By other artists, Don't Think Twice (Cher) and Wheel's On Fire (Siouxsie & the Banshees). Him? Rolling Stone.

Edit: Oh album. I own the Blond one, but never listened.

Last edited:
Well out of all his albums the one I can listen to front to back is Blonde on Blonde. I know Blood on the Tracks is meant to be a masterpiece but the struggle is real when I try to listen to it.

I prefer him in smaller doses (ironically some of the following songs are very long) so I'll do a top 10 instead

1. Like A Rolling Stone
2. Hurricane
3. I Shall Be Released (fave covers: Joni Mitchell/Mama Cass/Mary Travers, Bette Midler)
4. The Times They Are A-Changin' (fave cover: The Seekers)
5. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (fave cover: Dolly Parton)
6. It Ain't Me, Babe (fave cover: Johnny Cash & June Carter)
7. Tempest
8. Blowin' In The Wind (fave covers: Stevie Wonder, Peter Paul And Mary, Dolly Parton, Cher, The Seekers)
9. Subterranean Homesick Blues
10. Girl From The North Country with Johnny Cash

This is the amazing Joni/Mama/Mary version of I Shall Be Released, never included on any official audio release but I'm hoping it will show up on one of Joni's forthcoming Archives box sets:

Chrissie Hynde has just put out a Bob covers album. Nice, if not essential stuff.

Its Alright Ma is a song I return to, this Wendy James cover is a good take on it.

Love this Chrissie Hynde take on ‘Love Minus Zero’ and love that she doesn’t feel the need to change the gender references.

I'm not sure if I have a favourite, at any point in time there's a Dylan record or three on regular rotation.

Majority of the 60s output are masterpieces. I think New Morning is massively underrated, and Blood on the Tracks is obviously another masterpiece. Rest of the 70s have some outstanding moments. Can't say i've delved deep in the 80s/early 90s stuff... but the Time Out Of Mind / Love and Theft and Modern Times / Together Through Life runs are incredible. Latterly I think Tempest is so fantastic and nobody seems to remember it... and Rough & Rowdy Ways is probably his best album since the Blood on the Tracks and in my top 5 for 2020.

Then there's the bootleg series. And fuck me if Theme Time Radio Hour isn't the greatest radio programme of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom