Books you’ve read in 2021

what's the theme of the series, if any? I can't say I've heard of any of them except Ballard and Franzen

I’ve got the rest of this collection arriving tomorrow:

1*PkY4sUTzAB9tfT1AdR32dQ.jpeg

Minus the black & white one because I don’t think it fits in.

You need a bit of yellow!

I need to work on my red spine collection. But last week I’ve got a new addition to my mint green (Penguin Modern Classics):

Just started reading it, it’s about Germany in the 30’s (written in 1937)
41cbftq9mZL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

After a promising start to 2021 I am stalling a bit on my reading. Only 3 books in so far. Had to abandon Shuggie Bain because it was simply too much. I'll get back to it but I couldn't deal with it

I’m also in a wilderness after a strong start to the year. After “Shuggie Bain” I’ve started and abandoned three books but they just haven’t clicked. Hopefully something will soon.

Maybe I'll do a @RaspberrySwirl and throw in some 'art books' i.e. pretty pictures and captions, to increase my Goodreads total :eyes:

:D:eyes:

I haven’t read any art books this year. Still they were educative (is that a word?) and were a quick read.

This year I’ve almost only read classics, and yet I’m still reading at the pace of one book a week.

I didn’t think Shuggie Bain was THAT bleak. It’s certainly not A Little Life level of misery. It’s sad but it has some glimmers of Hope in it.

I haven’t read in over a month. The book I started after Shuggie was a bit difficult to get into and I just haven’t gone back again.

Maggie and Me is a good one if you want another slightly less depressing Glasgow based queer novel that is still great. This one is a true story.

I haven't read in about a week now despite being stranded in bed. Need someone to hide my phone and laptop.

everyone stuck in the swamp: read the book by Denton Welch I mentioned on the previous page. it was such a joy to read, especially now where not much joy is around

I don't invest in series like RS do, beautiful as they are, but I'm of a mind to invest in a first edition of said book, even though it's quite costly :shy:

I've just completed The Hunchback of Notre Dame – it was very thrilling – and have moved onto Ishiguro's Klara and the Sun. momentum!

Is this thread for fiction or non-fiction? I don’t read much of the former. :shy:

I’m currently working my way through Petrovsky-Shtern’s The Golden Age of the Shtetl and Alan Downs’ The Velvet Rage.

Is this thread for fiction or non-fiction? I don’t read much of the former. :shy:

I’m currently working my way through Petrovsky-Shtern’s The Golden Age of the Shtetl and Alan Downs’ The Velvet Rage.

Both babe!

The Velvet Rage is interesting, very of its time.

I'm reading Lolita, which I in turn hate and enjoy, but mostly find the protagonist really annoying.

Just finished Carol!
Moving onto Frankenstein which I got half way through on my holiday in November
Then I'll be reading this Muslim book I picked up

Ugh stop being so damn perfect. It’s like the algorithm has created you to please all my senses. :love:

I’m always here for a shtetl story.

A friend of mine keeps saying how the Velvet Rage changed his life.

Speaking of series and red spines; @Suedey Vintage is releasing a ”Most Red” series with ten new editions of some of their most popular books.

ELWwKudWsAAvp67.jpg

I already own three older versions of these but might buy all ten anyway.

I’ve just finished a Muslim book. YA LGBT.

‘How it all blew up’ by Arvin Ahmadi.

Wasn’t that amazing though. The premise sounds good but the execution was a bit too meh.

Speaking of series and red spines; @Suedey Vintage is releasing a ”Most Red” series with ten new editions of some of their most popular books.

ELWwKudWsAAvp67.jpg

I already own three older versions of these but might buy all ten anyway.
Don't tempt me! My vinyl addiction is already bankrupting me so I've imposed a strict embargo on new books until I've read everything on my shelves :(

And near the end of:
The Death of Vivek Oji - Akwaeke Emezi

Which is great so far.

Finally finished this today after a week of nothing. The good weather and being able to lounge outside definitely helps.

It's very touching. I don't know how much exploration has gone into transness in Nigeria but this provided a beautiful/sad glimpse.

Now I just need to keep the momentum going.

Oh WHY did I just see this?! :D
He does things on his instalive all the time!

Speaking of which, beautiful author of best novel of 2020 Swimming in the Dark Tomasz Jedrowski was advertising Zoom writing classes on his Instagram. I messaged signing up but was too late, but he says he'll get back to me when a new course starts. Then I suppose we might get married. :su2:

Tomasz+Jedrowski+portrait+photo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom