Books you’ve read in 2021

OMG! Gorgeous! I haven't read it yet, but it's on the pile. I just absolutely adore her. Watchu reading, bubbs? Still need to get my hands on Yu Hua!

(I haven't read it yet either but hopefully before 2022)

I've just finished The Inseparables by Simone de Beauvoir which was a very moving story of friendship (partly autobiographical I believe). Before that I read Family Lexicon by Natalie Ginzburg which I found very funny I have to admit with all the outbursts and exaggerated recollections

nearly finished with The Vampire of Ropraz by Jacques Chessex which is very much its own. I can't tell if it's based on a real story. it's very short (80 pages or so) and reads like a police report on gruesome murders!

Yu Hua might be skipping the queue here, I really want to read To Live now that I liked the other one so much

I'm going through a bit of an impasse at the moment. I think I might have finally overdosed on the Hollinghurst (and indeed, queer lit genre).

I was so bored the other night that I started reading the Bible, but I didn't even get past the fifth day of creation before I got angry with God for bothering, and just gave up!

(I haven't read it yet either but hopefully before 2022)

I've just finished The Inseparables by Simone de Beauvoir which was a very moving story of friendship (partly autobiographical I believe). Before that I read Family Lexicon by Natalie Ginzburg which I found very funny I have to admit with all the outbursts and exaggerated recollections

nearly finished with The Vampire of Ropraz by Jacques Chessex which is very much its own. I can't tell if it's based on a real story. it's very short (80 pages or so) and reads like a police report on gruesome murders!

Yu Hua might be skipping the queue here, I really want to read To Live now that I liked the other one so much

I read a short description of The Inseperables the other day and thought that I need to read it sometime in the near future.

I read a short description of The Inseperables the other day and thought that I need to read it sometime in the near future.

it's an easy and quick read but with such good observations about that infatuation you get as a child with another child that's cooler and smarter than you and has the live you want to live (at least on the surface)

I can't believe I've met my (low bar) goal this year and even surpassed it. I've been really disappointed with myself the last couple of years. I've made a book club with a few colleagues which seems to have done the trick!

I’m planning to finish two books this week to get back on the ”one book a week” track. Being sick for a week fucked things up.

Also having about 90+ new, unread books at home means I can pick and choose whatever theme/period/genre I feel like reading for the moment. :disco:

I must say, both the (WILDLY DIFFERENT) Shon Faye book 'The Transgender Issue - An Argument For Justice' and Paris Lees' 'What It Feels Like For A Girl' are absolute 11/10 MUST READS FOR ALL, for entirely different reasons :disco:

Another day, another Hollinghurst for Suedey and it was good.
81DJWCPr-SL.jpg

Last edited:
Another day, another Hollinghurst for Suedey and it was good.

81DJWCPr-SL.jpg
I read this when it came out (I was 18 or so) and just didn’t enjoy it.

Don’t know if I just wasn’t mature enough or it was too ‘wordy’, but it tarnished Hollinghurst for me and I haven’t read anything else by him.

I watched ‘The line of beauty’ on tv though.

It's no up there with his best for me but I enjoyed it.

I only have one more of his to read (The Strange's CHILD) which I am about to start. Then I will have completed his oeuvre which I am sure @Zu 2 would be pleased to know.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: Zu
I haven't actually read any books in 2021, but I started A Pale View of the Hills by Kazuo Ishiguro and I'm liking it so far. I feel pretty determined to actually finish it (which I struggle with) so I hope saying it "out loud" helps

I finished A Pale View of Hills. I loved it but also it gave me a weird feeling. I’m not sure I understand the ending so I need to go read some other opinions about it :D

There’s a discussion about it on page 3 of this thread!

Reactions: RJN
A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

What do you think of the theory that the Etsuko was telling her own story, inventing Mariko's story to distance herself from it? It's quite a nice idea although I'm not sure it totally hangs together. I really enjoyed the book though.

What did you find chilling in particular?
Ok this is what I was thinking when I read the ending. Maybe the cottage scenes actually take place years after the apartment block scenes? Or maybe she is remembering from her “friend”’s perspective? Nobody actually says her name in the parts in England

Ok this is what I was thinking when I read the ending. Maybe the cottage scenes actually take place years after the apartment block scenes? Or maybe she is remembering from her “friend”’s perspective? Nobody actually says her name in the parts in England
When she was talking to the child after the kittens were murdered, she kept saying “we” can go back to Japan. So maybe she is telling the story as someone else because of guilt/shame but she messed up there

I don’t know what happened but even by reading the shortest books I’m still struggling.

Due to finish book 40, reading this 80-pages one that I bought at Hatchards:

81bZj9kcV3L.jpg

I read this one just the other day and now I see they’ve released a new version and a tv/movie adaptation? Talk about being a trendsetter. :)

Well I decided not to read 11/22/63 right now, and switched to My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante. Not a lot has happened so far, and I keep having to go back to look who a character is, but I think I'm going to end up really enjoying it

Currently reading this and it's absolutely wonderful. I've not read any of her other books but I'm highly tempted now.

B07RD76BGG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

1. The Gunslinger - Stephen King
2. The Kept Woman - Karin Slaughter

Last edited:
I’m onto my fourth Toni Morrison; A Mercy. It’s the usual theme but it’s set in the 17th century which makes it even more interesting. The writing flows so well, I think this is my favourite by her so far (I haven’t read the big ones yet).

I finished Marta Oulie by Sigrid Undset the other night (the third woman to receive the Nobel and at only 46 years old :o). her debut but it certainly didn't show. imagine this opening line

I have been unfaithful to my husband

in 1907 :disco: I'll definitely be reading her Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy

Also I read the first Jenny Cooper book in the Coroner series for the love of huns. It was just as huntastic as I thought it would be

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom