Books you've read in 2022

Currently reading two non fiction books

‘Easy kills’ about Stephen Port (the Grindr killer) and ‘I was better last night’ by Harvey Fierstein

Lessons In Chemistry is AMAZING!

I think Elizabeth Zott could be one of my favourite literary characters ever. And Six-Thirty is an utter joy … never once did it feel like sharing in the thoughts of a dog was a suspension of disbelief too far. Sublime.

I finished What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. 8/10

I started East of Eden by John Steinbeck on a whim, and I'm about 100 pages in. I assumed it might be boring, but its not at all so far

I almost bought Shuggie Bain this week but I thought it might be too miserable for right now

I’m rereading The God of Small Things again for a class, and I am stunned by how brilliant it is. There is so much of the structure, the politics, the childlike perspective that I missed the first time around.
One of my favourite books of all time.

The cinema 'pocket money' bit still haunts me to this day though. :(

it’s such a beautifully written book, and fascinating life . What other books by should I read ?

Everything! It’s kind of my goal to read everything he has ever written, but The Testament of Mary and Brooklyn are brilliant, and I think Nora Webster is a bit of a masterclass.

@Barnacle may have read a few more than me, though?

@RaspberrySwirl what are you reading now?
I've hit a wall with the Bell Shaped Peen which I still love naturally

I hit several walls while reading it, I don’t know why that is considering the high suspense her writing creates throughout the story. I had the same experience with The Sea, The Sea. But once you get past it, it’s really rewarding.

Right now I’m reading Franny & Zooey by J.D Salinger, which I’m loving so far.

Next week I’ll hopefully and finally get to read and finish The Catcher in the Rye, which would mean I’ll be finally done with the J.D Salinger series that I have. :eyes:

5CAC1CA8-DDBD-41D5-A48A-24FD72B39AF3.jpeg

The two previous short story collections were very hit and miss. They’re pretty though, aren’t they?

Last edited:
Catcher in the Rye was one of the few books I was supposed to read in high school that I actually did. I loved it. I wonder if I'd see it differently now

I think I’m saving it for when I’m retired and have more patience (or maybe I’ll even have less tolerance for drivel).
Would want to read In Search of Lost Time by Proust too but afraid it would be just as suicidal.

Have you read it?

I’ve not, but I love Mrs Dalloway and that’s also a “stream of consciousness” novel, although Ulysses looks to be a lot denser.

I loved Mrs Dalloway too, but the rest I’ve read by Woolf left me :bruised:.

As @Mats pointed out to me, there are guides to how to read Ulysses, maybe you should check them out.

Oh I finished Shuggie Bain in the end. It did pick up a bit in the second half but I doubt I’ll read another from him. Too much actively sloppy writing for me, and without spoiling anything I found the way the end was handled to be completely bizarre.

I've been gifted Young Mungo. Just read the premise and, well, I don't feel I want to revisit the experience of being 15 and gay again. However, I really ought to read more. Ironically, 15 was a huge year for me in terms of reading as back then I went through the Atwood catalogue like no one's business and it did me the world of good. My thing with books is I will read a page and then go into my own thinking and I don't exactly want to ruminate over a bunch of people who were basically all Cordelia's if you get the reference. Ok, that's off my chest, thanks for reading to anyone who got through all that nonsense.

I've been gifted Young Mungo. Just read the premise and, well, I don't feel I want to revisit the experience of being 15 and gay again. However, I really ought to read more. Ironically, 15 was a huge year for me in terms of reading as back then I went through the Atwood catalogue like no one's business and it did me the world of good. My thing with books is I will read a page and then go into my own thinking and I don't exactly want to ruminate over a bunch of people who were basically all Cordelia's if you get the reference. Ok, that's off my chest, thanks for reading to anyone who got through all that nonsense.

you'd make an amazing author tbh

I am enjoying it this far (about halfway through). I think I've worked it out but let's see. :eyes:

What are you reading sexy @Mats at the moment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom