Bros (Gay RomCom)

Vote

• Total voters
I really enjoyed this. It doesn't veer away from romantic comedy cliches which I appreciated. The awkwardness of random hookups and meeting the family spoke to me, the Debra Messing cameo was hilarious. :D

Billyeichnercoulddowithtakingapausebetweensentencesthough. He was hot, mind, so I'll forgive him.

And now I’m in bed posting this next to the guy I took to see it and he WON’T LEAVE. So 40-year-old gay man problems ensue.
Get one of your friends to call you and pretend that something bad has happened.

“something bad happened???”

If you know you know gays am I right

I’ll update further. But no progress yet. I thought me not facing him for the last two hours (and him being a bottom) would be enough of a hint.

• Haha
Reactions: GNL
Gabrielle actually encouraged a generation of bottoms not knowing when to make a graceful exit with her clingy classic 'Should I Stay?' :(

He's left.

He's actually someone I dated a few times like 10 years ago... so basically I'm recycling the boys of London now. God help me.

Have the rules changed? You ALWAYS say you're busy tomorrow and need to be up and out by 9am, and then THOSE plans get cancelled if you decide to make a day of it.

I mean, THE VERY FIRST RULE

Let's face it, I probably used it the first time I slept with @cwej :D

Debuted at #11 in the UK with just £200,000 on its opening weekend :basil:

DisfiguredInferiorIberianlynx-max-1mb.gif

I'm not sure of any other publicity for it, but it's plastered over loads of billboards around these parts.

What number did it debut at ?
Is it showing in Cardiff ?

So, went to a 1:30pm showing and it had about 30 people in it- way more than I expected. And we were the only obvious gay couple.

Anyway, the film itself. Aaron being played by an absolutely appalling actor didn’t help things and I don’t know much about Billy Eichner but is he that irritating in real life and just playing himself?

I thought the script in places was awful, it was like being banged over the head hard with a “hey straights, this is gay life” hammer, the endless parade of good looking gays was a bit BLAH, not least the ridiculousness of Billy Eichner supposedly being the ugly duckling, and the bit where Billy obviously said “I want to crowbar a song in” was excruciating.

Having said all of that, I actually enjoyed it for what it was. I had a good few laughs, some of the observations were spot on and the story was cheesy as fuck but nice enough. 7.5/10.

Finally, don’t get me wrong, I’m as guilty of this as anyone, but why as gay men do we want anything gay to fail? It’s an interesting bit of psychology…

Oh yeah, and I get it was for the rating, but surely there are better ways of hiding the naked parts of gay sex than having everyone in a fucking orgy wearing boxer shorts.

Reactions: dUb
Really didn't enjoy this. A couple of mildly amusing moments - Steve trying to get in on the threesome for example - but otherwise found it unfunny and Eichner deeply irritating (as Sheena says) as well as verrry unlikeable.

Oh well!

So, I've finally watched this and it can almost be split into pre Provincetown and post Provincetown.

The first 45-50 minutes of this hit you like a truck and not like "Bad Romance". They really try to cram way too many things into it between the self-referential, the uncharismatic lead performances, the thin jokes, the check-listing of LGBTQ-factoids and everything just tries SO hard to be smart and funny. There is next to no room for air at the beginning. Did no one edit the script for the first half of this? It's really let down by trying to do everything but as a result it achieves so little.

The second half, on the contrary, is a lot more enjoyable, mainly cause it's more straightforward in storytelling and it cuts a lot of the slack and there is a little more dimension to both leads.

I guess a 6/10? It's just a not a good movie for the first 45 minutes, which are exhausting - and that's probably one of the reasons that there was no buzz translating into box office. The last hour is actually pretty servicable.

"Fire Island" was a lot more charming than this from the get go, if we're looking at the genre.

Last edited:
I Saw this last night and actually enjoyed it a bit, I felt seen during the scenes mocking Grindr :shock:

The guy developing the dating app “for gays who just want to talk about actresses and then go to sleep” EXACTLY describes one of my friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom