ButterTart's Christmas Horror Film Countdown

An absolute tour de force of HORROR. I remember forcing my ex flat mate to watch it and she was halfway through telling me to pause it as she wanted to go for a cigarette when the HEAD EXPLOSION happened and it rendered her absolutely speechless :D
You know, I ALWAYS forget about the exploding head and it gets me every time. It’s so well done, as is the aerial shot that follows it of Sarah scrambling back into the bathroom as the woman approaches. Also, the cop getting stabbed in the armpit always gets to me, it’s just so unusual and painful.

1=. Black Christmas (1974)

Ageing sorority sisters are bombarded with obscene phone calls. As the police try to uncover the identity of the caller, the girls start going missing one by one…

Okay, so I may have cheated a bit. I couldn’t choose between my top two and so they’re BOTH my number 1 Christmas film. Is it a copout? YES! Does it really matter in the broad scheme of things when kiddies are dying and stuff? NO!

Released under the name Black Christmas but more commonly known as The Barb Show ft. Barb and also Mrs Mac and Olivia Hussey but mostly Barb, this is the definitive Christmas horror. It’s also the prototype for the slasher boom of the late seventies and early eighties (Coincidentally the age range of most of the actresses playing the sorority sisters here). This film really feels years ahead of its time in both its structure and the characterisation of the main characters – it’s a template that’s been followed many times since but very rarely this successfully. The girls are interesting, diverse and proactive – every one of them has their own, distinct identity and actively contributes to the narrative; they’re not just hanging around waiting to fill a body bag. Obviously Barb is the main attraction on this front – coarse, self-confident and permanently shitfaced, she’s played with relish and endless charisma by Margot Kidder in what is a genuinely astonishing performance. The nuances, the facial expressions, the line delivery… she’s among my very favourite horror characters of all time, organically progressive and powerful – a league above the ham-fisted feminism of the remake 45 years later. Marian Waldman as the abrasive house mother Mrs Mac is also a standout, and Olivia Hussey makes a splendid final girl. I thought I’d best mention them, even if Barb is the true dominant force in the film, stealing every scene she’s in.

The kills in Black Christmas ft. Barb are tense, interesting and serve the wider narrative, not as graphic as those found in later slashers but easily as effective. The true horror here comes from the miasma of danger enveloping the house – the obscene phone calls are genuinely unsettling, their persistence meaning the sisters never feel safe in their own home at any point. The arrival of Mr Harrison (James Edmond) looking for his daughter, Clare (Lynne Griffin) adds another dimension to the horror – as well as an undercurrent of tragedy – as we see Clare murdered early in the film and so we know his quest will only end in heartbreak. A child murder, the active involvement of the police and the eventual revelation of where the calls are coming from all contribute to the masterful escalation of the horror to a thrilling climax; the film ending on a ringing phone lingers in the mind long after the credits have rolled. I’m fairly certain everyone reading this will have seen it, unless you’re in the wrong thread and have been reading this just to be polite, but I’d urge you to watch it again anyway just to be on the safe side.

Best bit: The first phone call the girls receive. Sorry, Scream, but this is the creepiest and most effective use of a telephone call in the history of horror. The shocked silence of the sisters as they listen to it, the unbelievably graphic content of it… and of course, Barb’s utterly ESSENTIAL facial expressions and running commentary. ‘He’s expanded his act’ ‘No Clare, that’s the Mormon tabernacle choir doing their annual obscene phone call’ :D

Weihnachtstische out of ten: :tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch: :tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch:

Am I blind or is there no second no 1?

Well then obviously one is better than the other (the one not posted yet is the true number 1).

Why do I care? I don’t know

I checked the attic. It’s not looking good :(

6088fb08bf64cf1acaa6c9e9c9a06664fc608885.gif

:D Sorry guys, I got a bit caught up with work (went for a walk and then played a game for a bit). Other number 1 IMMINENT.

The choice for sync watch will either be Black Christmas, the mystery number one or Don't Open Till Christmas.

1=. The Children (2008)

A family gather to celebrate Christmas, but the kids aren’t alright…

I feel a bit tight doing the joint number one thing now, since this was my winner right up until I had a crisis of conscience this week. Still, sharing the top spot with Dame Barb is nothing to be sneezed at.

The Children isn’t just my (co) favourite Christmas movie of all time, it’s one of the greatest British horrors ever made. Despite starring my arch-enemy Hannah Tointon, it lodged itself in my heart the first time I watched it, and has become staple viewing not just at Christmas, but whenever I need something to remind me Britain is capable of producing amazing stuff and isn’t just a Brexity shithole full of racists.

This is a critique of parenting released at the height of the ‘broken Britain’ tabloid furore, one of a number of horrors released in the late 00s and early 10s which dealt with the ‘threat’ of Britain’s youth (F, Tormented, Donkey Punch, Summer Scars, Citadel and, of course, the almighty Eden Lake to name just a few). Where The Children excels is in the strength of its characterisation. The four central adults are superbly cast, each of them with their own defined personality and motives, and each representing a different method of parenting. As the film progresses and their children become increasingly infected by the mysterious illness that’s befallen them, each parent reverts to type in their response. Protagonist Lainie (Eva Birthistle) is pragmatic and headstrong, desperate to protect her children from each other. Her husband Jonah (Stephen Campbell Moore), easily my favourite character in the film, grabs his favourite child and fucks off in an act of supreme self-preservation. Chloe (Rachel Shelley), a middle class, new age type, refuses to punish of even question her children, seeing them as entirely blameless. Robbie (Jeremy Sheffield) tries to be the fun, jovial Dad to the very last.

Of course, a film about killer kids is only as good as the actors playing them and, fortunately, the ones assembled here are absolutely astonishing. Rather than becoming snarling zombies, the virus lets them retain their capacity for language and reason while causing them to become increasingly malicious and aggressive. Starting with a kick off at dinner and ending with a murderous rampage, stopping occasionally to just be complete dicks (Ripping the splint away from a very recently broken leg, for example), these kids REALLY commit to the bit. They are convincingly portrayed as legitimate threats, in particular Paulie (William Howes), who I swear to Christ must have needed an exorcism each night in order to get out of character. The film doesn’t flinch in bumping off its young characters, either, and the unimaginable horror of parents being forced to kill their children gives it a very potent emotional core. The build towards the finale and the subtle escalation in behaviour from childish mischief to Satanic little bastards propel the film in such a way that it never lags and, at the same time, doesn’t feel hurried – the horror that unfolds feels earned as such care has been taken in the early showing to set the scene and establish these kids as a legitimate threat.

I could write about this all day, but I won’t. It’s an incredible, visceral movie which I would strongly urge you all to watch right this instant.

Best bit: Jonah is an obvious standout, ostensibly a good husband and father, but also a bit of a smug dickhead with a brilliantly integrated side-story in which he tries to coax Robbie into investing in what is very obviously a pyramid scheme – it’s little details like this which make the characterisations really pop in this film.

The best individual scene is the children arranging an accident for poor Robbie. The careful set up of the scenario should be mandatory learning in schools; it’s a masterclass in building tension. The resultant aerial shots of bloody tracks in the snow are BRILLIANT.

Weihnachtstische out of ten: :tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch: :tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch::tisch:

The list IN FULL

1=. The Children (2008)
1=. Black Christmas
(1974)
3. Inside
(2007)
4. Better Watch Out
(2016)
5. Silent Night
(2012)
6. Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale (2010)
7. The Lodge
(2019)
8. Dead End (2003)
9. Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?
(1971)
10. Krampus
(2015)
11. Sint
(2010)
12. Mum & Dad
(2008)
13. Pooka!
(2018)
14. Anna and the Apocalypse
(2017)
15. A Christmas Horror Story
(2015)
16. 3615 code Père Noël
(1989)
17. Dead of Night (1945)
18. El dia de la Bestia
(1995)
19. The Conjuring 2
(2016)
20. Christmas Presence
21. Secret Santa
(2018)
22. Calvaire
(2004)
23. Santa’s Slay
(2005)
24. Silent Night, Deadly Night
(1984)
25. Kristy
(2014)
26. Sheitan
(2006)
27. Christmas Cruelty!
(2013)
28. The Night Sitter
(2018)
29. Red Christmas
(2016)
30. Gremlins
(1984)
31. Don’t Open Till Christmas
(1984)
32. Clinical
(2017)
33. Black Christmas
(2006)
34. Christmas Evil
(1980)
35. Alien Raiders
(2008)
36. Juleblod
(2017)
37. The Toybox
(2005)
38. Black Cadillac
(2003)
39. Holidays
(2016)
40. P2
(2007)
41. Await Further Instructions
(2018)
42. Deep Red
(1975)
43. Mercy Christmas
(2017)
44. Lake Alice
(2018)
45. While She Was Out
(2008)
46. Good Tidings
(2016)
47. Once Upon a Time at Christmas
(2017)
48. Night of the Comet
(1984)
49. Body
(2015)
50. Mr Corbett’s Ghost
(1987)
51. Killer Christmas (2017)
52. Night Visitors
(1987)
53. Antisocial
(2013)
54. New Year’s Evil (1980)
55. Home For the Holidays (1972)
56. The Blackout (2009)
57. Sole Survivor (1984)
58. Bloodbeat (1982)
59. Black Christmas (2019)
60. Wind Chill (2007)
61. Jack Frost (1997)
62. To All a Goodnight (1980)
63. Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015)
64. Last Stop on the Night Train (1975)
65. The Traveller (2010)
66. Mother Krampus (2017)
67. The Nights Before Christmas (2019)
68. Dismembering Christmas (2015)
69. Christmas Slay (2015)
70. All Through the House (2015)
71. Mrs Claus (2018)
72. American Exorcist (2018)
73. The Dorm That Dripped Blood (1982)
74. Holiday Hell (2019)
75. I Trapped the Devil (2019)
76. Silent Night, Bloody Night (1972)
77. Mother Krampus 2: Slay Ride (2018)
78. Slay Belles (2018)
79. Unholy Night (2019)
80. Krampus Unleashed (2016)
81. Secret Santa (2015)
82. ATM (2012)
83. Krampus: The Reckoning (2015)
84. Stalled (2013)
85. The Elf (2017)
86. Dead by Christmas (2018)
87. Silent Night, Bloody Night: The Homecoming (2013)
88. The Damned Within the Shadows (2001)
89. Cruel Peter (2019)
90. Krampus: The Christmas Devil (2014)
91. Two Front Teeth (2006)
92. One Hell of a Christmas (2002)
93. Ugly Sweater Party (2018)
94. Evil Elves (2018)
95. Family Reunion (1989)
96. Elves (1989)
97. Krampus Origins (2018)
98. Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 (1987)
99. Sick For Toys (2018)
100. Let's Kill Grandpa (2017)

I've enjoyed doing this immensely, although I must ask that if I ever suggest rating 100 films for any reason ever again, somebody needs to immediately karate chop me in the windpipe. My brain was FRIED when it came to the last two reviews, especially since I have so much to say about them.

My old flat mate and I caught this on TV randomly one evening and HAD A BLAST. Didn’t cross my mind that it was a Xmas film though :D

This has been a stellar countdown despite not knowing the majority of the films. Definitely going to check out a few of these out over the break.

I think I have seen about three of these films, but that was nonetheless a great read. Have many likes.

I would say something to defend toffee Quality Streer but my teeth are stuck together.

Sorry, late to the party! I don't like joint winners, but I enjoyed the write-ups! Didn't rate The Children highly when I saw it, I would have given the crown to Black Christmas. It was only on my last re-watch that I noticed how feminist BC 1974 is! It has so many layers and works well on so many levels, an amazing achievement.
I really hate Better Watch Out, it made my blood boil when I saw it and frustrated me so much that I really don't want to see it ever again. I don't find it fun at all, it feels very mean-spirited to me.

I really like the sound of The Children from your write-up, but knowing me as I do do you think I’d be able to watch it without it being too much? :(

I really like the sound of The Children from your write-up, but knowing me as I do do you think I’d be able to watch it without it being too much? :(
I’d have thought so. It’s a zombie film of sorts, so it depends how you feel about them. It’s not the sort of film that will have you checking the cupboards before you go to sleep, it’s more a social horror if that makes sense?

I’d have thought so. It’s a zombie film of sorts, so it depends how you feel about them. It’s not the sort of film that will have you checking the cupboards before you go to sleep, it’s more a social horror if that makes sense?

Ah yes, that would be fine! Sorry for asking - only just recently I was recommended a film where a misanthropic avocado-green creature terrorised a small town and I haven't really been the same psychologically since.

The calls in Black Christmas are genuinely freaky, even by today's standards. If I remember correctly they got two or three voices to speak simultaneously, and it works. What I love most about it is how fleshed-out the female characters are, way more than in the original Halloween actually where you only really care about Laurie and actively WANT Annie to cark it. :D They're so well-written that for a while you're sure Barb is going to be the final girl. And yes I think it's the first true slasher, loads of films before it had elements but this one had them all:

- It’s a seasonal horror film
- The killer’s POV shots
- Stalking a group of young women
- A final girl
- “The calls are coming from inside the house”
- The police are pretty much useless
- High body count
- It's CAMP
- Twist ending: the killer lives

Last edited:
Well very late but that was an incredible read! This really ought to have a bigger audience and be on one of those horror sites like Bloody Disgusting or something at the very least.

I haven't seen The Children :o Will rectify immediately.

Black Christmas clearly has it all, but I agree especially how you're primed for Barb to be the final girl, but instead she gets (or rather, stays) rat-arsed and dies that way. I prefer to imagine she died steaming drunk minutes before first, her last breath a witty retort.

The writing is excellent though for what it is, and surely what made it such a trailblazer even when the slasher craze focused on the "hot girls get killed lol" aspect, Black Christmas stands up because of its characterisation.

Watched Rare Exports the other day. I didn't completely love it but there is definitely a fantasy magic there, especially in the final act where it feels truly special with beautifully shot sequences that feel like an epic moment in classic Christmas films, except with a darkness.

And it's definitely great how a cast of mostly quite hardy Finnish men and boy characters managed to inject a real emotional core, and all with distinct personalities.

The best part was the capture of the old man and the truly fucking terrifying way he slowly came back to life, and could smell the children. That was such a slow build, and so tense, with him looking like a genuine monster, that I wish they'd gone all in on that aspect instead. But I've never seen a Christmas film straddle the line like this before so massive credit there.

And yes I know it's been mentioned but I watched Dead End again recently and my fucking god, I'd forgotten what a tour de force Lin Shaye is in that film. That whole sequence after her son dies and she loses her mind:

- Madly eating the huge pie and crisps
- Drawing Brad's mutilated body on the case!
- The hilarious way she reveals her son having a different father to her husband as he stands gobsmacked (and Ray Rise is also phenomenal in this film)
- The vomiting, the threatening to shoot them
- The brain frigging!

It's all equal parts LOL and yet manages to be devastating as well. Given what the film is and its limitations, the actors and writing are wonderful.

I also love how, since everyone is fleshed out and given screen time, you never really know who the last person standing is going to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom