CALIFORNIA

big ron

Chief Super Moderator
Pronouns
He/him
Starting to seriously plan a 2-3 month US trip next year. Going to do a couple of weeks with the family in Florida and then probably a couple of weeks with Ms Ron visiting various friends across the US. Once that's done I'm going to stay on for a month or two doing some JOURNALISM on weed and psychedelics.

Drawing up a list of things we'd like to cover and people we'd like to meet and not surprisingly a lot of stuff is in CA.

Totally torn on where to look to base myself. LA seems a good bet, I have a mate who lived in SF for a few years and loved it but all the stuff I'm reading says it's overpriced and a bit of a dump. Short of those two, I know jack about the west side. Anyone got any tips? Any places I should look into? Ideally I'd like a nice month or two let rather than hotels that doesn't cost me at least one internal organ.

I’ve never been to LA but SF is one of my favorite cities I’ve ever been to. It is super expensive though. I think if you want cheap, you’re going to have to stay outside of one of the big cities in California.

What is the journalism on psychedelics and weed about? Sounds interesting

I didn't like LA, far too sprawling and disjointed, but I was only there for three days. Loved SF.

My American friend whose brother lives there:

“Huntington Beach has all the crazy Trump people. Laguna is posh AF but fab. Encinitas is more family but has good bars. Anything up the coast from San Diego to LA will be fun.”

Another American friend:

“Yes! Near San Diego is lovely, the weather is great. I’ve also really started to like LA a lot: Silver Lake is a cool area. As is Los Feliz. Also Venice is cool, and less expensive than Santa Monica.”

If you want to be near SF, Oakland is cooler but is probably getting really expensive too

San Francisco is probably awful to live in but it's one of those cities that are lovely to visit and spend some time in, it has loads of character beyond the gentrification and is a good camp for a lot of other interesting places. I was there for two weeks for work and did many day trips around to Sacramento, Napa Valley, Sausalito, San Rafael, the lighthouse from The Fog :disco: Also the city itself has lots of distinct areas worth exploring - the Castro, Twin Peaks, Chinatown, the Meatpacking District :ken:, Nob Hill :ken::ken: , Presidio, Ocean Beach.

Interesting, thanks all. It's tricky because it'll be quite a short time, relatively speaking, so I want to be a bit touristy, but also I like immersing myself in places and being a bit more local, not to mention avoiding a $7k monthly rental for a studio.

Oakland came up in some of my initial research, but looks a bit dull. SF will deffos get explored but doesn't seem right as a base, so somewhere on the outskirts of LA sounds good, Venice appeals, as did Laguna, will check out those other places.
Will Ms Ron & Ron Jr be staying with you?
Not for this bit, he'll have to go back to school after the end of Easter, but we'll be doing a couple of weeks elsewhere in the US first.

What is the journalism on psychedelics and weed about? Sounds interesting
Part of my company has a magazine on these subjects which I am the editor of, we're UK focused but its really taken off in the last 12 months readership wise, so it makes sense to do some 'dispatch' type reporting while I'm in the US and also gives me an excuse to do a bit of travelling on the company card :D

Reactions: RJN
Part of my company has a magazine on these subjects which I am the editor of, we're UK focused but its really taken off in the last 12 months readership wise, so it makes sense to do some 'dispatch' type reporting while I'm in the US and also gives me an excuse to do a bit of travelling on the company card :D
You might already have connections, but my friend works for a company/organization/commune(?) that makes and sells mushroom microdose chocolate bars. if that relates at all, I could connect y’all

California is party central. It's the best American state for a fun night out. L.A. is unmissable

You might already have connections, but my friend works for a company/organization/commune(?) that makes and sells mushroom microdose chocolate bars. if that relates at all, I could connect y’all
That would be cool :)

Reactions: RJN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom