Celeste (Sound of 2020 winner, serving diva vox for days)

Jark

User
Not of Daphne fame. apparently we haven't talked about Celeste at all, which I find hard to believe. not sure who I'd draw comparisons with - you'll like her if you like Shay Lia, Mahalia, Amber Mark, VanJess etc, but none of those have a remotely comparable VOCAL INSTRUMENT

this year's Stop This Flame is her biggest moment so far and also a total SHOWSTOPPER of an uptempo R&B/house/disco track which sounds like it was unearthed from some incredible 1995 archive.

there are remixes from Blessed Madonna, Toddla T among others for those interested in such things. her EP from last year also contains some really deliciously soulful moments

Father's Son and Coco Blood are amazing. and there's this recent collab with Black Coffee which takes me places

I really want more R&B discussion happening on Moopy. it's so limited, but the genre itself is SHIT HOT these days!

@funky @ameraal @FetchFugly @northernlad @dUb @SDF @Whatevar @POP! @Tisch @Iguana

the vocal stylings are not my first choice but i love love love the black coffee moment. he's so good and she's a good fit for it.

oh I love a bit of Celeste. The old soul sound from the noughties is definitely feeling dated at the moment but Celeste feels like she brings something new to it. Lianne La Havas is the only other one I think that still sounds classic and current - they're not your typical neo-soul sound in the modern sense of Jorja Smith, Ari Lennox, Shay Lia et al, more retro, but good all the same.

Strange isn't really my thing, but Stop This Flame I did like.

I was only listening to her new one on the way to work this morning, thinking how lovely it was (though I had convinced myself it was Yola for the first minute or so):

Set for a UK #1 album this week.

I wasn't aware of her, but Stop This Flame is quite the banger. Originally peaked at #47 almost a full year ago, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go much bigger if they re-promote it.

Her current single is a bit less exciting but very nice.

I skipped through the album. Tonight Tonight is quite good, but nothing comes close to Stop This Flame. surprised but glad she's grabbing that #1, I guess the exposure on Jools Holland and in the real music press hasn't hurt. obviously very talented so I'm rooting for some more exciting material.

Stop This Flame certainly feels like it should have been bigger. I've come round to Strange now too. Interesting that both she end her fellow 'Sound of 2020' Arlo Parks ended up releasing their debut albums this week after rather meandering build ups.

The main album is pretty good, though by the end of the deluxe I'd had my fill. Tonight Tonight is definitely the stand out of the new stuff and Tell Me Something I Don't Know I liked as well. That John Lewis Xmas song can do one though.

I've played the album a couple of times and find it pretty derivative on the whole. Certainly not worthy of her voice for the most part. Im not surprised she's going to get the #1 at all, given the fact that the hype has been building for over a year with the Sound of 2020, the Brits and the John Lewis ad. Plus the level of album sales in general.

Stop This Flame certainly feels like it should have been bigger. I've come round to Strange now too. Interesting that both she end her fellow 'Sound of 2020' Arlo Parks ended up releasing their debut albums this week after rather meandering build ups.

I find the Arlo Parks album much more interesting. It feels like she has something to say.

I adore her voice and this album feels a long time in the making, need to listen. Stop This Flame was one of the best songs of 2020.

I've played the album a couple of times and find it pretty derivative on the whole. Certainly not worthy of her voice for the most part. Im not surprised she's going to get the #1 at all, given the fact that the hype has been building for over a year with the Sound of 2020, the Brits and the John Lewis ad. Plus the level of album sales in general.

Haven't listened to the album yet but the last few singles feel like the label have pulled her back into Gabrielle mode to try and shift a few albums. All very nice and all but at the start it seemed she was going for something really fresh and edgy, being compared to Amy Winehouse and positioned as a songwriter.

I'll reserve judgement until I hear the full album.

I’m really loving the album. Most of it is very catchy, not sure if I’ve been hearing the songs without realizing but they all sound very familiar (in a good way).

She’s a mix of early days Amy Winehouse and Lianne La Havas.

Although the deluxe album is too much, I deleted it and stuck to the 12 tight tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom