Charli XCX - 1999

Jark

User
This megabanger of life deserves its own thread so we can follow its inevitable ascent to #1 :disco:

seriously, WHAT A SONG.

Reactions: Zu
did this make it onto the new music friday playlists over Mariah though?

I like it a lot! It's much better than 2002 by Anne-Marie, about level with 19-2000 by Gorillaz and not as good as 1999 by Prince.

It's still no where as good as Summer of '99

Having been showed up for his vocal limitations by Ariana Grande, Troye Sivan has decided to team up with Charli XCX so we can all see how little personality his voice has. The boy is a masochist.

Troye must have been practically an infant in 1999 and yes it doesn't suit him at all.

This was released the same day as 1999. What is the current fixation with the nineties/turn of the millennium and ...Baby One More Time in particular?

Reactions: SDF
This is rubbish. I know she doesn’t need it but is she ever going to have another hit? It’s been a while.

I actually still haven't heard this because I don't Spotify and it hasn't turned up at my usual outlet as yet (7digital).

She has the weirdest "career" going. The speed with which some of her "parties" sell out is impressive but it's a small rabid audience she has. Happy to be part of it but it needs to be a whole lot bigger.

I wonder when she'll release Taxi aka the best song ever? The leaked version has been getting taken down a lot recently, so I think something's in the works.

GET IN :angry:/:disco:

I wonder when she'll release Taxi aka the best song ever? The leaked version has been getting taken down a lot recently, so I think something's in the works.

GET IN :angry:/:disco:

SOPHIE says "Taxi" is her song rather than Charli's so maybe it's on an upcoming SOPHIE release....

Fuck me. THAT is a VIDEO!

the American Beauty, Blair Witch and Matrix lewks are my faves :disco:

I was going to ask about her interactions with SOPHIE as I’ve kind of ignored Charli XCX until now. Any recommendations, dear hearts?

I was going to ask about her interactions with SOPHIE as I’ve kind of ignored Charli XCX until now. Any recommendations, dear hearts?

The "Vroom Vroom" EP is a full SOPHIE co-write and production. She co-produces variously elsewhere and there is rumoured to be an entire album sitting around.

Reactions: Zu
Charli writes and records so much material that the vaults must be bursting but I don't think there are entire "albums" or projects from work with one collaborator like SOPHIE sat around waiting to go. It seems like she gives the unreleased songs a life on tour and then moves swiftly on. I don't think the next mixtape or album (lol) will include all these rarefied tracks like Taxi.

Charli XCX cosplaying as ALL FIVE SPICE GIRLS is exactly the content I need in my life.

I know she doesn’t need it but is she ever going to have another hit? It’s been a while.

She doesn't need it? Is this how it works now, a current popstar doesn't need hits to survive?

I feel like I don't understand anything anymore.

She doesn't need it? Is this how it works now, a current popstar doesn't need hits to survive?

I feel like I don't understand anything anymore.

Well she’s made a good career for herself out of songwriting for others she doesn’t need the money from her solo material.

plus she records with all her friends so the music that does get released is probably very cheap for the label

She performed at G-A-Y last night and it looks like it was a lot of fun - Troye wasn't there, but Drag Race legend Tatianna filled in:

https://v.redd.it/qf3wgo67r2s11
(Apologies if I fuck up the link, Reddit videos are weird and I can't find it on any other sites yet)

Just watched her on Sunday Brunch. I wouldn't have recognised her if she walked past me in the street.

This moved up to #51 this week and is starting to make gains on streaming so could be top 40 next week. God I hope it smashes in the end.

She could do with a hit of some sort given that her monthly singles from over the summer all fizzled ("Girls Night Out" deservedly so) although her being a big ol' pottymouth ruled out radio play, I guess.

She's been tweeting today about doing a larger scale tour next year, and also that she's keen to do a proper collaboration with Rina Sawayama (made famous by this extremely busy Moopy thread, Charli fans please check her out if you enjoy pop music at all thanks).

She draws a crowd for those "parties" easily enough, be interesting to see the size of venues she goes for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom