Club Ghibli #16 - The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)

To- To- To- To the moon?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
Congratulations Ghiblettes, we are in the final third of our 21-movie saga, and another entry in the Isao Takahata canon. From his Ghibli directorial debut "Grave of the Fireflies" last month, we go to his final directed movie, and labor of love, "The Talk of Princess Kaguya" ("かぐや姫の物語").

While Studio Ghibli have often adapted literary works, particularly British authors, for movies like "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Arietty", they haven't really gone down the folk talk route in the same way Disney have. Of course there is plenty of Japanese folklore stirred into the pot, like the Yokai parade in Pom Poko, but 10th Century "The Tale of Bamboo Cutter" ("竹取物語") is one of THE Japanese folk tales, and the oldest of such folk stories, so Ghibli bringing it to the big screen was a big deal.

Following the birth of the titular princess from a stalk of bamboo to poor elderly couple, we watch her grow up and try to fit into old Japanese society. But will a supernatural being such as her be able to live among humans forever?

Takahata sadly died after completing this film, and his filmography for Ghibli are iconic in a different way to Miyazaki. The traditional art style used in this movie is a stark difference to the typical Miyazaki style, and secured it an Oscar nomination. It was a developmental problem child, going way over deadline, but it was a real passion project, as much for Nippon TV Chairman Seiichiro Ujiie, who practically funded it for Takahata to be at the helm. Sadly Ujiie passed away before it was completed (although apparently he did get to see a lot of the early development and the script.

As well as the Oscar nom (losing to Big Hero 6 :eyes:), it met with decent commercial success in Japan, as one of the biggest films of 2014 (despite its November 2013 release), and modest success abroad.

HOW THIS WORKS

In a semi book club format, the films will be announced, and over the course of about 2 weeks we can watch it and let everyone know what we thought. We are in the last third of the movies now, so I have decided to curate the last run and not pick the last big ones too soon - we've been really restrained I think so far, so thank you!

I was thinking 2 weeks should be enough time for most people to fit in a viewing at some point, but it's not strict so please come back when you have a chance, no pressure!
@Christian @Gangsta Nancy Lam @jivafox @COB @Haiku @ZenGiraffe @Lucille @KindaCool @Eyes @Queen of the Bay @RaspberrySwirl @RJN @Beverley @big ron @ButterTart @Mats (let me know if you don't want to be tagged any more)

See this one I HAVEN'T seen! But I'm on holidays at the moment so probably won't get round to before we move onto another one.

I always wanted to see it but I think I was a bit put off by the fact that it's a traditional tale rather than a Ghibli original.

See this one I HAVEN'T seen! But I'm on holidays at the moment so probably won't get round to before we move onto another one.

I always wanted to see it but I think I was a bit put off by the fact that it's a traditional tale rather than a Ghibli original.

Don’t worry, the thread will still be here! Just like the Grave of the Fireflies will still be here when Queen of the Bay finally gets it together

Hope this princess Kaguya will provide some escapism to get through the day. Not very optimistic that everyone involved with it died soon after though.

I found this very different from the rest of Ghibli films in everything, to the point that this time it felt obvious they were working with somebody else's literature work. Getting to know all these little moments and details in the protagonist's life from the start and the duration of it all, made me feel like am watching what I pictured to be the equivalent of Homer's Odyssey to the Japanese culture. The style of it really reminds me of the classical epic poems and you can tell that many parts of it were meant to be didactic too. The moon twist comes up a little out of nowhere imo so I wasn't expecting it nor can I say that I was pleased about it, but once you get past your initial SORRY WHAT? moment it kind of works. Am probably lacking some sort of background info on japanese folk and a possible correlation with the moon, the 15th of August and bamboos too. All in all, I think it's an impressive and humongous piece of art and they manage to convey that they are working with a story that is very big in their tradition. Would I watch it again? Probably not. Did it leave a long-lasting impression? Yes.

Well, I got (through) it! 2hr 20 was a bit of a stretch but it was a good film. That watercolour animation really was breathtaking - I want to say it is unlike anything else in the Ghibli canon, but ... actually there is one more that we haven't come to yet, and I never made the connection until now for some reason.

Looking at the Wikipedia page about the original story, it does seem to follow the story faithfully, albeit spruced up a little bit with the Sutemaru storyline and the trapped princess theme. I think that's where the film sags a bit, when it leans on the unhappy Princess trope for the bulk of the film. Here's me complaining about the same old story in Western animated movies, and here we are with a girl under pressure to conform to make her father happy, while wanting to reject it all. It made the father a rather one-note character, and the mother a bit of a limp lettuce for being aware and not doing anything until way too late.

I did enjoy it a lot, but it was an unusually fatty Ghibli movie that could've comfortably lost half an hour while still hitting all of its marks. I did get misty at various moments, but it was a little difficult to sympathise with her, especially with the wild mood swings and seemed to go from twirling and going AH-HAHAHAHA AH-HAHAHAA!! to listless within seconds.

Maybe this is all unfair criticism to put on a film based on a 1000-year old story, especially against the backdrop of the Ghibli canon. As a faithful adaptation, a true labour of love for Takahata and his swansong, it is a wonderful piece of art.

Also Sutemaru would definitely get it.

By the way :D at this batshit paragraph from Wikipedia

The tale has been identified as proto-science fiction. Some of its science fiction plot elements include Kaguya-hime being a princess from the Moon who is sent to Earth for safety during a celestial war, an extraterrestrial being raised by a human on Earth, and her being taken back to the Moon by her real extraterrestrial family. A manuscript illustration also depicts a round flying machine that resembles a flying saucer. Kaguya's story also has similarities to a modern superhero origin story, particularly that of Superman.

Am probably lacking some sort of background info on japanese folk and a possible correlation with the moon, the 15th of August and bamboos too.

I couldn't find anything particular about this. I think the bamboo is just a way to place her in the countryside, since that was a typical farming job.
The moon... well it does seem to be a place things happen, they don't really do the gods and goddesses like the Romans and Greeks, but I know that inside of a "man in the moon" they see a rabbit.

As for the 15th August, there's nothing I could find (apart from it being the end of WWII in Japan), but it might have some link to Tanabata, the star festival that was held on a full moon in August on the old calendar - it's now held on the 7th July usually, but some parts of northern Japan like Sendai still hold celebrations in August. But Tanabata has its own folk tale about two lovers from opposite sides of the Milky Way (called Amanokawa, Heaven's River in Japanese), who can only meet during the festival each year. That seems unrelated though, so who knows. I guess it was more because of the full moon than the date itself.

I will watch when I'm back sorry, still on holiday!

Although if it's slow and long I may have to have a couple of coffees beforehand...

Are we going to do that Red Turtle film which is Belgian but somehow released via Ghibli? I haven't seen that either but I hear it's also a bit slow...

I will watch when I'm back sorry, still on holiday!

Although if it's slow and long I may have to have a couple of coffees beforehand...

Are we going to do that Red Turtle film which is Belgian but somehow released via Ghibli? I haven't seen that either but I hear it's also a bit slow...

Hai, I know honey, enjoy your hols! (PS where are you?)

I guess it is slow and long, it’s on sort of a knife-edge of losing your interest but I held on.

I’m not sure how to see the Red Turtle, and it’s a collaboration as far as I can see, with the Dutch team in charge. It might be a nice bonus after the main run - I want to rewatch the Castle of Cagliostro too. I suppose we should do Earwig & the Witch too, I’ve just seen that it’s a Ghibli one - a TV movie, but we are doing Ocean Waves too so I guess we have to!

I'm just home visiting my family in Spain.

Red Turtle had good reviews and I would like to watch it if you include it too. Castle of Cagliostro is awesome and you should definitely do it. It's just FUN! But not sure about the CGI one :confused:

I'm just home visiting my family in Spain.

Red Turtle had good reviews and I would like to watch it if you include it too. Castle of Cagliostro is awesome and you should definitely do it. It's just FUN! But not sure about the CGI one :confused:

I think if we include the first two we can’t avoid Earwig :D

Red Turtle is a collab as the supporting partner, Cagliostro is only Ghibli-adjacent because Miyazaki is involved. Earwig is actual Ghibli!

I couldn't find anything particular about this. I think the bamboo is just a way to place her in the countryside, since that was a typical farming job.
The moon... well it does seem to be a place things happen, they don't really do the gods and goddesses like the Romans and Greeks, but I know that inside of a "man in the moon" they see a rabbit.

As for the 15th August, there's nothing I could find (apart from it being the end of WWII in Japan), but it might have some link to Tanabata, the star festival that was held on a full moon in August on the old calendar - it's now held on the 7th July usually, but some parts of northern Japan like Sendai still hold celebrations in August. But Tanabata has its own folk tale about two lovers from opposite sides of the Milky Way (called Amanokawa, Heaven's River in Japanese), who can only meet during the festival each year. That seems unrelated though, so who knows. I guess it was more because of the full moon than the date itself.
Tbh I thought about those big impressive August full moons too, but I couldn't link it with the other elements in a sense-making way.
For some weird reason, and I could not ignore the similarity while watching, in Christianity the 15th of August is the day Mary was lifted to heaven, that's the best match I can think of.
Am guessing it could have come to replace some elder pan-eurasian paganist day hence the sense of importance but I don't know. And still no clue about the bamboo.

Has @Eyes seen this one before? And of course I'm perched for @Peekaboo 's take when he gets back
I haven't seen it before. I know the basics of the story through osmosis and some anime that have made references to it because of course it's such a huge part of Japanese folklore. I'm thinking I'll watch it tomorrow.

I went into this a little apprehensive of the length, but yes I knew that she was from the Moon and that it would eventually end with her returning there, so in that sense there was a fair bit of anticipation. Honestly, it's a great adaptation of the original tale, it seems to be mostly faithful from what I know and that beautiful watercolour style places you right in medieval Japan. I loved the character this traditional-looking style gave to the characters, especially that short handmaiden who always looked like she was smirking. Quite shocking how culturally alien it feels though what with all the demands that medieval Japanese society put on its women.

That it clearly aimed to put feminist ideas and the rejection of materialism as the cornerstone of Kaguya's dissatisfaction with Earth was good, both values fit with the original tale and makes a good driving force when put together. I agree though that it made the father too much of an unsympathetic and dull character as he kept going against her wishes no matter what. And that scene with the Emperor felt quite uncomfortable and that did seem to be an addition (from wiki-skimming at least).

Kaguya herself is a great character to watch I think though, clearly smart and yet not without flaws herself, as she often isn't as assertive as she clearly desires to be to take control of her own happiness. Which makes it great when she does come through, it was great watching her trap those nobles in their own hubris - and her and Sutemaru together was adorable.

Great film for its value in a solid adaptation of an important historical folktale. And it hit some great emotional cues throughout. Perhaps a bit long in places, some less important scenes could have been cut without too much of a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom