Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
Welcome back Ghibliophiles (or QotB basically), it's time for another serving of animated excellence. This time, dear sister @Peekaboo stepped up to select our fourth film, 1991's Only Yesterday ("Omoide Poro Poro").

A nostalgic look back at childhood for better or worse, it follows 1980s office worker Taeko's flashbacks as she escapes Tokyo for a break at her distant relatives' farm. Having a chance to reflect on her life to that point, could this be a chance to change her outlook on her future?

As Peeka pointed out to me, our first two choices were Miyazaki movies, The Cat Returns was by one-shot director Hiroyuki Morita, so it's definitely time to introduce another Ghibli titan - Isao Takahata, who sadly passed away in 2018. But not before directing some of the Ghibli library's most diverse and surprising entries. As a matter of fact, only three Ghibli movies have achieved the lofty status of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and all three were Takahata works - this one included.

So while the premise might not sound nearly as exciting as the first three, this is nonetheless a must-see.

HOW THIS WORKS

In a semi book club format, the films will be announced, and over the course of about 2 weeks we can watch it and let everyone know what we thought. I'll nominate someone to pick the next film each time, but maybe let's try not to blow all the famous ones first!

I was thinking 2 weeks should be enough time for most people to fit in a viewing at some point, but it's not strict so please come back when you have a chance, no pressure!
@Christian @Gangsta Baby @cheap lousy jiva @COBsus of Nazareth @Haiku @BlitzenGiraffe🎄 @Ludolph @KindaCool @Queen of the Bells 🔔 @Holly @PranceRJN @DingDong Beverley On High @big ron @You Butter Watch Out @Mats (let me know if you don't want to be tagged any more)

I truly love this film. It's nothing like what Ghibli had done until that point and when I first saw it was just after I had left my family home and it really SPOKE TO ME.

Pls don't go in expecting witches and creatures of the forest, this is a pure slice of life and all the better for it.

Yes, it was an inspired choice, and just what we needed (also I love it so I'm excited to watch it again)

Absolutely wonderful film and one of the ones that I'm going to watch again, as I've only seen it once.

So to do a proper review, this is the most different from all the previous one, as it's essentially a film for grown ups. The animation is again super cute, the technique of drawing memories in a minimalistic way with lots of whites is really smart and this time the character development is much more smooth and in depth. I thought i'd relate with this in the leaving a big city-going to a village dimension but strangely I was not. What i connected with instead was that you somehow carry your little child self with you for years before you leave it behind at some point and just grow, and that this isn't happening automatically but you need to resolve any pending issues. It's another 10 and would love to see this with actors too, perhaps set in rural South Italy (there is even a scene where Taeko visualises they're there). Also the music of the film was really beautiful. Thank you Peekaboo for suggesting this and again Diddy for introducing me to this genre.

So to do a proper review, this is the most different from all the previous one, as it's essentially a film for grown ups. The animation is again super cute, the technique of drawing memories in a minimalistic way with lots of whites is really smart and this time the character development is much more smooth and in depth. I thought i'd relate with this in the leaving a big city-going to a village dimension but strangely I was not. What i connected with instead was that you somehow carry your little child self with you for years before you leave it behind at some point and just grow, and that this isn't happening automatically but you need to resolve any pending issues. It's another 10 and would love to see this with actors too, perhaps set in rural South Italy (there is even a scene where Taeko visualises they're there). Also the music of the film was really beautiful. Thank you Peekaboo for suggesting this and again Diddy for introducing me to this genre.

A lot of Ghibli films (I'd say a lot of Japanese culture in general in my experience) manage to evoke that sense of nostalgia for childhood really well. If you enjoyed this part of Only Yesterday you may enjoy MAH FAVOURITE GHIBLI Kiki's Delivery Service which very subtly touches upon this COMING OF AGE coupled with FLYING BROOMSTICKS and TALKING CATS :disco:

I was just doing a little Ghibli search and came across these lovely threads and as I absolutely adore this film, I hope you don’t mind me chipping in as I often turn to this film and Kiki when I’m not feeling well.

Only Yesterday is Top 5 Ghibli for me personally. Like @Queen of the Bells 🔔 my all-time favourite is Kiki (the baker’s husband is so cute), followed by Fireflies and then Only Yesterday. It’s so absorbing and resonant in your late 20s and early 30s. I remember moments where I felt like I was watching a documentary (crushing the flowers for dye, the sounds of agriculture) and completely forgot I was watching animation. It gives you SO MUCH by being patient and letting you use Taeko as a vehicle for reflection.

I guess it’s a story about the nature of transitions, that you can leave yourself behind in some ways, but traces of you will always emerge in different ways. And I think it was a film that made me think about the idea that we have many selves that we should nurture and play with, but never really let go of.

And yes. That ending makes me heart skip a beat every time. It’s absolutely perfect. You realise that you’ve sort of fallen in love with Taeko by that point and you really CARE about what she does next.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid the more the merrier, welcome to the club :disco:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the other ones we’ve done (Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns), now available on Netflix :disco:

Do you mind if I tag you in these threads forever too? And try to indoctrinate Su, I’m sure he will love them too

Ooh @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid the more the merrier, welcome to the club :disco:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the other ones we’ve done (Spirited Away, Castle in the Sky, The Cat Returns), now available on Netflix :disco:

Do you mind if I tag you in these threads forever too? And try to indoctrinate Su, I’m sure he will love them too
Yes please, I’d love to join the club! And of course, I’d love to share my thoughts on the others. I have tried with Su but there aren’t enough unscripted reality TV moments for him in most of the Ghibli canon. But he has agreed to watch Fireflies with me. I can only watch it every 3-5 years because I fall into a three-week depression afterwards :disco:

Yes please, I’d love to join the club! And of course, I’d love to share my thoughts on the others. I have tried with Su but there aren’t enough unscripted reality TV moments for him in most of the Ghibli canon. But he has agreed to watch Fireflies with me. I can only watch it every 3-5 years because I fall into a three-week depression afterwards :disco:

Omg @ scripted reality TV moments… I wonder what the closest there is to that? My Neighbour the Yamadas? :D

And Fireflies - we will have to face it at some point but it’s the only one not on Netflix. Last time I watched it I was thinking “oh this is going to be hard” and I was crying less than 10 minutes in :D

Should I bump this? Is anyone actually going to watch it aside from QOTB? The rest have normally seen them and won’t rewatch :bruised:

And I’m always the slowest

I think it depends, I usually watch them asap cause am very curious to see what each is like so yes it kind of feels like there's too much time in between for me, if I was watching at a slower pace it would feel just right.

Sorry I'm just catching up on these. :shy:

This one has been a delight to watch. Took a bit of time to warm up but the gradual subtle build of the story and that ending was pure excellence to wrap up the story arc. :disco:

Echo the sentiment that it feels like a more mature Ghibli film, and that's probably what is particularly charming about it. Taeko and Toshio as characters both add a beautiful element to the story with their likeability and you really are rooting for them. All in all, a delightfully wonderful film. :thumbsup:

OK I'm finally here!
I had a weird time with this - I think going into it thinking it's one of my favourites was tough, and it had its great moments but there was a bit of SAG in the second half that I couldn't quite give a 10 for.

Gorgeous, and I was struck by the contrast in colour tones between the washed-out flashbacks and the fully coloured present. The presentation of Yamagata was beautiful, and I feel like I know this place (well I have been to Yamagata, and Yamadera station but it's a typical scene), Toshio talked about the vibrancy of living things, and with the art they absolutely managed to capture that. Some slightly odd art choices too - I mean running into the sky was cute, but promising to her cousin about not buying Pumas, then getting that weird Michaelangelo touching God thing? :D And I guess a minor thing, but Taeko smiling made her look 40, wtf, she supposed to be in her mid-20s!

The flashbacks were sweet, especially the pineapple bit, the boy with a crush on her, the period thing, and her mum and sisters reading her to filth about dividing fractions. But I think there was stuff that didn't really add much to it, like the school play and talent scout bit. When I wanted some progress in the present day, she started off on some monologue about her as a 10 year old again, and while Toshio seemed to handle it, what are we doing here?

Speaking of Toshio, GET IN ME NOW. I'm not one to get attracted to animated characters but OOF, that ass too. I love the way he talks compared to the slightly put-on politeness of Taeko (wow maybe I didn't like her), he's so casual. I wish we had more of him talking instead of him just listening to Taeko drone on about maths.

Anyway it's a Takahata film so none of these are dealbreakers of course, I still love it, and cried several times unexpectedly. That piano theme at the start and end (not The Rose, but that too) really just hits me in my soul. I was teary right at the start before the credits had even finished :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom