Club Ghibli @ Moopy - Interested?

To Ghibli or not to Ghibli?

• Method the other - please specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
After the undeniable impact of Asian Persuasion, and the - I think - full availability of all Studio Ghibli movies on UK Netflix (as well as several other places legal and otherwise), I thought it would be fun for anyone dipping their toe into Japanese animated cinema to start with the best.

Studio Ghibli isn't the Japanese Disney, but to steal and mess up a quote from a Moopy member ages ago, it has the same cultural impact and iconography in Japan as Disney does in the West. There's the full gamut of genres involved - from historical drama, to full fantasy cosplay, through high-school drama, environmental slashers, and calming forest creatures. Radish spirits, living statues and tanukis with very versatile genitals all have their moments to shine. But it's not seizure-inducing robots and Pokemon tournaments that you might be familiar with.

Trust me, it's all good (even though I know some people hated Ponyo with a passion before you START)

I had a few ideas about how to run it - basically a film will be chosen and we have 2 weeks to watch it (but no real pressure to do so if you're running late), hopefully that will ensure a steady drip of comments. As for choosing the film, I thought of two ways for now. First way is that I'll pick 3 or 4 films and put a poll up with a few keywords to get a feel for the genre, and the winning one will be revealed. Second way is Book Club style, a different person chooses the next film.

Hoping not to blow all the biggest movies first, but let's see - VOTE NOW PLEASE

If someone has a spare 5 minutes with Netflix UK, I'd appreciate confirmation of which movies are available (if none of them are then this is probably fucked :D but I believe they are)

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch

Studio-Ghibli-montage.jpg

Interested! I’ve seen all the EXCITING ones, but few of the SOFTER efforts.

I’ve only ever seen the “normal” ones (i.e the ones with just people :tongueout:) but know I’m probably missing out on some great stuff, so I’d be interested!

I've seen a lot of them but happy to watch a few again.

Let's start with something light and life-affirming. Grave of the Fireflies anyone?

Weirdly - according to an article I just found, but happy to get a second opinion - it seems Grave of the Fireflies is the only one not on Netflix :o Not tamtalizing enough, I presume!

I’ve only ever seen the “normal” ones (i.e the ones with just people :tongueout:) but know I’m probably missing out on some great stuff, so I’d be interested!

Like the realistic ones? What an interesting situation, they're always the ones that get the least attention. One of them is definitely in the top of the ranks for me.

I wanted to tamtalise you all with a trailer montage but they're all rather AMERICAN

I will say now, I believe you can watch them in whatever audio configuration you want re: subtitles, dubbing etc.
(but I mostly hate the american voice actors)

Ones I've seen (in bold)

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away

The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo

Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch

I'll leave this here to WHET your appetites and undergarments

I'm off to sleep now but I'll pick this up when people have exercised their democratic rights

Ones I've seen

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away

The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo

Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch
I couldn't tell they were bolded so I thought it was all of them :D well, a nice spread and definitely a few gems left to unearth!

I’ve seen

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch

So yes, plenty to discover :D

I was about to bemoan the LACK of The Castle of Cagliostro on the list, but I forgot that it predates the formation of Ghibli (despite being directed by Miyazaki) :(

I’ve seen

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises

When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch

So yes, plenty to discover :D

What ODD choices!

I've only seen -
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch
FLOP weeaboo :(

Oh, I once STARTED Castle in the Sky but was in a FOUL MOOD for other reasons so turned it off in a fit of spite :D

I was about to bemoan the LACK of The Castle of Cagliostro on the list, but I forgot that it predates the formation of Ghibli (despite being directed by Miyazaki) :(

I mean if we are getting really technical, Nausicaa and possibly Castle in the Sky are also pre-Ghibli, even though the core team were there

Reactions: COB
I like Ghibli but I don’t have Netflix, so probably won’t be able to take part.

I like Ghibli but I don’t have Netflix, so probably won’t be able to take part.

It’s hard for me to check these things on this end, but if there are other avenues to see them, let me know! I mean I’m sure you can find them off the back of an internet lorry if you’re so inclined :angel:

I think it's probably a BIT too old-fashioned/cheaper than the stuff from the Eighties onwards, but I thought it was fun :D Maybe we could watch it further down the line once we've done some of the big hitters?

I think I've only seen Princess Mononoke. I'm not a film person but I might join in should the fancy take me

LOVE Studio Ghibli but I think I've seen all the ones I've wanted to see? Still curious about this though

2nd and 3rd option. I haven't seen any of them but I'm interested in some of them. I think they're all available on HBOMax here

I'm fully up for this <333

I've seen four or five of the Studio Ghibli films, I would be up for seeing more of them and revisiting the ones I've seen. :)

The ones I've seen in bold:

Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service

Only Yesterday
Porco Rosso
Ocean Waves (don't remember this one too well though)
Pom Poko
Whisper of the Heart
Princess Mononoke
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Spirited Away
The Cat Returns
Howl's Moving Castle (don't remember this one too well either)
Tales from Earthsea
Ponyo
Arrietty
From Up on Poppy Hill
The Wind Rises
When Marnie Was There
Earwig and the Witch

I really need to brush up on the newer ones. :D

I've seen them all (ticking off the ones I hadn't was a first lockdown project) but a fair few of them are worth a second viewing for sure, so I'm in.

There's a couple of absolute clunkers but some of the quieter ones ended up being my favourites. Princess Mononoke is still top of the list though :disco:

I've seen them all (ticking off the ones I hadn't was a first lockdown project) but a fair few of them are worth a second viewing for sure, so I'm in.

There's a couple of absolute clunkers but some of the quieter ones ended up being my favourites. Princess Mononoke is still top of the list though :disco:

I definitely cried at nearly ALL of them on a rewatch series that never finished a few years ago :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom