Coldplay - "Music Of The Spheres" [new album]

octophone

robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop
They are simultaneously the most overrated and underrated band of all time... if that makes sense.

It actually does.

The person who nailed this was Daniel Kitson. Coldplay are - objectively - OK. They're decent musicians who have a bit of range (ie they haven't made the same album 10 times) and largely go about their business quietly. You put that at No 5 in the album charts with a 7 or 8 week run and selling out the Brixton Academy and it's fine. Have the albums at #1 selling millions and headlining stadiums and it becomes, hang on, they're not THAT good. They don't deserve that. The OKness, the inoffensiveness becomes not OK and offensive because it's very hard to feel that what they do is deserving of such a response. They're too bland to be this big. That makes them very easy to shit on - taking a step back, they become a very easy whipping boy for people who absolutely love bands and artists who stalled at a certain success level but the hardcore always felt they deserved more.

For me, they're just really bland. A microwave lasagne of a band. The absolute hubris surrounding the release of this particular album is especially irritating to me.

Jark

gave ur love away
when has success ever had a correlation with what is "deserved"? :D this is pop music. that's not how it works. the clue is in "pop"!

octophone

robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop
when has success ever had a correlation with what is "deserved"? :D this is pop music. that's not how it works. the clue is in "pop"!

I think that misses the point. When something gets that popular, a whole group of people who would be otherwise unaware of it are exposed to it - some people will go "ooh, lovely" but a lot will go "This? This is selling out Wembley Stadium? Fuck off!"

Plus, remember that Coldplay came after Britpop which saw indie-ish guitar bands playing to big audiences and enjoying buoyant record sales. Coldplay had to follow that.

Eddie

User
Surely Coldplay's emergence coincided with the resurgence of pop music (the early noughties) which made them stand out somewhat.

I particularly recall that picture of a geeky Chris Martin (and the rest of the band) being pictured with Kylie when they were both signed to Parlophone.

Suedey

Be Like Water.
OK girls I'm going to attempt an album ranketté!

Last edited:

Suedey

Be Like Water.
1. A Rush Of Blood To The Head (Of Chris Martin's Fat, Uncut Cock)
2. Parachutes
3. Viva La Vida
4. Ghost Stories
5. Mylo Xyloto
6. X&Y
7. A Head Full Of Dreams
8. Everyday Life

Haven't heard the new one because I THOUGHT THOSE WHORES DIED!

Last edited:

POP!

By the way, thanks for the shoes
Tried listening to this album and it's awful. I usually eat this shit up :cautious:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom