Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
Not to be a buzzkill, but let's try to be a bit mindful of how we'd be responding to this if, say, 41 people had died of a flu strain in Paris, K?

If it was Paris, there’d be a national emergency here and Louise could headline the benefit concert

Reactions: VoR
Not to be a buzzkill, but let's try to be a bit mindful of how we'd be responding to this if, say, 41 people had died of a flu strain in Paris, K?
To make it clear my post referred to the no doubt raised media hysteria over this virus. Hence more deaths = ooooopppppsss. More people died in the Albanian earthquake in December which got no coverage on here or in the news. I know its descended in this topic but I think we can manage ourselves.

Fair enough. I'm not trying to police our traditional gallows humour, so long as we're not dehumanising people.

Aside: I really must get that VoR from HR smilie set up.

We have an office in Edinburgh where all the now-all-cleared possible cases were. We received an instruction to clean all of our desks with anti-bacterial wipes etc. We were all a bit like "fuck's sake, really, read an article, that'll do fuck all" etc but a couple of people were a bit freaked out. Then we found out it was just our department and someone was off sick with shingles.

Good case of how media creates notions and those notions can turn to panic.

What an ODD thing to say. It’s bloody tragic no matter where in the World it was taking place. :confused:

Oh. Not like me to get the wrong end of the stick. I did think it was a rather odd comment. :bruised:

So, does the "-14" for France indicate that all their suspected cases were false alarms?

I got swine flu in 2010 or whenever that previous pandemic was and it was NOT fun. 3-4 days of high fevers and shivers, it was horrible :/

There's been a hazmat unit at a university hall of residence here today after a student has been taken to hospital.

There's been a hazmat unit at a university hall of residence here today after a student has been taken to hospital.

Yeah we had one here today too in a hotel. They've even sealed off the hotel room

Seems a bit of an overreaction to be honest for a bug that seemingly only kills off old people and heavy smokers. Common flu does more than that.

Seems a bit of an overreaction to be honest for a bug that seemingly only kills off old people and heavy smokers. Common flu does more than that.

Yeah, a doctor on TV today said that the regular flu is actually a bit worse than this. It's the fact that it's mutating already or something like that, that has them a bit more concerned.

My favourite thing about all this is that the outstanding Plague Inc. - the world-killing, be-the-virus mobile phone sim game, has had a mass resurgence in popularity in the last week.

Seems that people are enjoying the concept of killing anyone.

So has the movie Contagion, cause who wouldn’t want to watch Gwyneth Paltrow die a gruesome death.

We got one of those "wash your hands, use sanitizer" type e-mails at work yesterday. Because that's worked for everyone so far... :manson:

Apparently it’s in Japan, but via one of the chartered evacuation flights from China, so presumably that means it’s being contained.

they’ve all sold out masks here, I guess that means people are freaking out

It's only a month in to be fair. The death rate is low (2%), but there are already more cases of this than SARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom