Desperate Housewives to end in 2012

Slave

User
The question mark can probably be removed after Sunday, for that is reportedly when ABC will officially announce that the show has been axed a season earlier than expected due to falling ratings and the ever-costly cast:

Desperate Housewives is reportedly due to end after its eighth season concludes in 2012.

Sources claim that ABC will officially announce the show's axing at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Sunday.

The comedy-drama's stars Teri Hatcher, Felicity Huffman, Marcia Cross, and Eva Longoria have allegedly already been informed and are described as being "shocked and saddened" by the development, TV Line reports.

Rumours that Desperate Housewives would end next year first circulated in July, when an ABC insider claimed that the commissioning of a ninth season would be "dependent on the ratings".

Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry previously revealed his hope that the show would continue into 2013, declaring: "I think that's what everyone would be happy with. I think nine years would be a really good run."

The show was renewed for an eighth season back in May and will return to US screens on September 25.

Last edited:
I'm a little saddened by it, I had hoped they would go to the full 9 series' but it's not really that unexpected. I just hope they send it off with a BANG and not a whimper. Killing Susan would be a nice storyline.

Last edited:
Praise be to Allah, the show has become beyond shit.

It really did jump the shark with Gabby's DOLL storyline. I'm still watching, but I won't be too upset to see it go.

The full 9 series? That seems like a rather arbitrary number, is there some significance to it?

Anyway it was inevitable, I think I gave up halfway through latest series. If I get THAT bored I might pick it up again if there's going to be a good conclusion to the show, god knows I've wasted enough hours on it

There's always Gilmore Girls gays. It's Desperate Housewives without the ridiculous story lines.

If you READ THE ARTICLE Diddy!

But that doesn't really explain anything? :confused: I read that as "Well, another season would be nice <subtext: because we don't have to make shit movies or advertise potatoes for another year>"

Marc Cherry said quite a while ago that 9 series would be perfect for the show.

But why? 9 is such a weird number. He said after about 5 seasons, I think 9 would be a fitting number to end on and like Diddy I'm failing to see the significance.

10 is surely a better number?

Well he probably had some kind of grand VISION for what he was expecting to happen and 9 series would have fulfilled that.

I somehow doubt he had any bigger vision other than a plane that falls from the sky because of a tornado that triggers guns pointed at all the ladies to kill them all in one final blow.

Maybe he just wants to be employed as long as possible??

I somehow doubt he had any bigger vision other than a plane that falls from the sky because of a tornado that triggers guns pointed at all the ladies to kill them all in one final blow.

Maybe he just wants to be employed as long as possible??

Now confirmed, no new information in the news report. Could a mod please drop the question mark from the title, thanks!

Desperate Housewives creator Marc Cherry has confirmed that the long-running series will end next year.

It was reported on Friday that the show would end after its eighth season, and Cherry officially announced the news at this weekend's TCA summer press tour.

"I wanted to go out when the network still saw us as a viable show and a force to contend with," he told press, according to TV Line. "We felt from a creative standpoint that this was the right time. I feel so good about it."

Cherry revealed that the show's cast were all "in shock" when he broke the news, and insisted that he would miss working with them.

"It was bittersweet and lovely, because the women knew there was the possibility [of the show ending]," he explained. "They said some very lovely things to me about how I've changed their lives and careers. I truly, truly love every one of them."

"It's an iconic show and we're extremely proud of it," ABC President Paul Lee added. "I just wanted to make sure it had its victory lap."

Cherry also addressed rumours of a potential spinoff show, claiming that he is no longer considering the idea because it would feel too repetitive.

Former series regular Dana Delany recently said that she would be interested in reprising her role as Katherine Mayfair to tie up the character's storyline.

The eighth and final season of Desperate Housewives premieres on September 25.

If Katherine came back I'd probably watch the last season. They should've never killed Edie off though. Stupid Marc Cherry.

Edie's death episode was the last one I watched - I thought it was rather good!

I wanted to go out when the network still saw us as a viable show and a force to contend with

Isn't that basically saying 'I wanted to go out before we were axed'? How admirable.

The cost of sustaining a high profile cast must ALWAYS have been a ticking time-bomb in terms of ratings gradually dropping.

Talk about OUTSTAYING your welcome

The same fate seems to happen to all those shows that peak in popularity in their first and second seasons (The OC, Heroes, Grey's are others that come to mind)

Edie's death episode was the last one I watched - I thought it was rather good!

One of the best ever episodes without a doubt but it didn't make up for the gaping hole she left afterwards

Grey's Anatomy will be NEXT I suspect. Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey are both expected to leave after the forthcoming series - there's been no suggestion that the show will wrap after this season, but I can't see it getting much further than one additional season with Chyler Leigh as the lead.

Patrick Dempsey dismissed rumours that he was leaving after the 8th didn't he? I think he said he was misquoted. It should definitely go out on a (relative) high when they go although the ratings are better than DH's from what I can see.

I never saw the point of killing Edie off? It was to save money but then they just replaced her anyway. She can't have been on THAT MUCH for someone who ever made the opening credits.

Marc Cherry only killed her off because he had personal beef with Nicolette Sheridan. She's suing him now :disco:

The last series was DRIVEL- from someone who has loved every other one (including Series 2)

Sorry to see it go, though

The rescue-the-doll-out-the-hijacked-car drama was a lowpoint for ALL television.

John Logie Baird DISTRAUGHT.

Last edited:
Patrick Dempsey dismissed rumours that he was leaving after the 8th didn't he? I think he said he was misquoted. It should definitely go out on a (relative) high when they go although the ratings are better than DH's from what I can see.

The initial reports said he had confirmed he was leaving - he said that was taken out of context, but all of the cast's contracts are up at the end of this season and he hadn't made a decision. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine Ellen Pompeo staying, she's been pretty open about wanting to move on.

Digitalspy did a little retrospective

I forgot about when the girl from Saved By The Bell: The College Years got shot

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PXDK5aNCQUo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Bang!" was so good at the time! I never expected it at all but it got a bit rubbish when every season they tried to top it.

Hurricane!
Plane crash!

The supermarket episode remains absolutely the greatest thing this show has ever done

The hurricane was wonderful too. The other disaster episodes... not so much.

Is there a single gay who fucked their mother's BF who COULDN'T relate to THIS SCENE :disco:

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eCOqkh9TYkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The plane crash was glorious television. Not for all the right reasons, but wondrous nonetheless!

So realistically who do we think will have a career after this is over?? there was an article the other day that said that people like Felicity Hoffman have been identified by this role that it will very hard for her to break out as something else.

I think Eva Langoria has a chance of appearing in a few comedies and maybe she'll get another hit show. I think the others will end up with guest roles on TV shows but it will need a good few years before people forget their DH persona.

Never count Teri Hatcher out. That bitch knows how to make a comeback.

The truth is none of them will NEED to work for a long time after this - they've been pocketing millions for the last seven years!

So realistically who do we think will have a career after this is over?? there was an article the other day that said that people like Felicity Hoffman have been identified by this role that it will very hard for her to break out as something else.

which I think is weird as she was great in Transamerica. granted, that was five-six years ago but has any of the other Hausfraus done anything?

also Felicity is the only one I'm interested in seeing again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom