Do you offer guests food in your home?

Do you offer guests food in your home?

• Total voters

RJN

Way fun!
I keep seeing this not very scientific map on Twitter and now I’m curious

1653966921343.png

I always offer guests water when they arrive and later offer them an alcoholic drink and food once they’re sitting down. I feel like this is the norm around me but maybe it’s just what my parents did?

What do you do? Is it the norm where you live?

Penelope

HOLA MI BÉBÉBÉ
I will say on that Swedish one that @Suomi did offer me food the first time I was in his home, but didn't during any of the others.

Sheena

YOUR FAVOURITE.
Not as a default but always a drink. Of any sort.

Food if it’s planned, yeah. I like friends who just turn up and help themselves. “Oh I’m starving, I’m nicking a bit of bread, love”. That kind of business.

Floppet

Spider murderer
I always offer a drink; tea, coffee, water or a selection of pop and will offer biscuits with said beverage. I don't offer proper food unless I'm eating too or they say they're hungry.

Tisch

2022 LET'S SEAL THE DEAL
The discourse has put me in mind of this:

Yes I would offer guests food and drink. I'm trying to get rid of my mum's habit of itemising everything I have in the fridge the second someone hints they're hungry.

Usually just a drink of some sort if someone has popped round. If it’s someone calling round before we go on a night out and I know I’ll be grabbing something to eat in house before I go I’ll ask them in advance of them arriving if they want to have something to eat here with me.

I’m not really a fan of people popping round unannounced to be honest but that’s a different topic I guess.

Ag

User
I always offer a drink. But we rarely buy with guests in mind, so rarely offer food.

GNL

It's pronounced ginnel
When I was a kid, I don't remember going round anybody's house and NOT getting fed.

Floppet

Spider murderer
When I was a kid, I don't remember going round anybody's house and NOT getting fed.

That's different. Spawn's friends always got offered food when they came round, one particular friend used to tip up around tea time a lot and it's easy to eke out the food to include an extra kid. I knew what her circumstances at home were so I didn't mind in the slightest. I saw her in town about five years ago (she's early 30s with four kids now) and she introduced me to her boyfriend as "this is spawn's mum who used to make me tea most nights", it gave me a nice fuzzy feeling that she remembered and appreciated it.

ZenGiraffe

Dangerous Poetry
Yes, if I know they're coming in advance.

But we're not a house that is particularly stocked so random drop ins will be shit out of luck. Not that I'm a fan of random drop ins in the first place.

Kate

mildly communist
I don't tend to have visitors, at least not unexpected ones. Shags get toast the next morning. (get me talking like I'm a slut, it's been one bloke twice)

RJN

Way fun!
I'm trying to get rid of my mum's habit of itemising everything I have in the fridge the second someone hints they're hungry.
Yeah I do this, as does my mother :D I need to remind myself that if someone says they aren't hungry, they actually don't mean that I need to offer them every food item I can think of

RaspberrySwirl

Leftover
As I’ve mentioned before I almost never cook and would certainly not expose my guests to food that I’ve cooked. But I would buy stuff or we would order takeaway (and pay for it myself).

In general though, people don’t turn up unannounced here.

GNL

It's pronounced ginnel
I don't generally HAVE guests in my home, but if I do, there will be snacks available to soak up the huge amounts of alcohol consumed.

I will NOT be providing the alcohol.

GNL

It's pronounced ginnel
Also I've lived in flats since I was 18 so if people turned up unannounced I would call the police.

Who does that?

RJN

Way fun!
Whoever prepared that chart has never visited a Scottish relative's house to be greeted with the words, 'you'll have had your tea'.
are you questioning the validity of "Lover of Geography"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom