Do you offer guests food in your home?

Do you offer guests food in your home?

• Total voters
Where I am, there’s traditionally been an assumption you’ll have eaten or had a drink before visiting someone’s house.

Hence the phrase said to guests “You’ll have had your tea” i.e. I won’t be feeding you.

Why does this map only cover Europe? What about the rest of the world?

I do come from a feeding culture and my parents, mother especially, came from families that insisted on cooking loads and feeding the five thousand. If you came over, you were assumed to stay for dinner.

The thing I find most interesting isn’t whether we’re prepared to feed others, but that most of us seem quite disinclined to have people come round, especially unannounced. Having grown up with visitors dropping in all the time, I hate the idea of it as an adult, and can’t stand turning up at my parents’ house and finding it full with relatives. Modern life has made us all quite antisocial imho.

But if somebody comes round to mine, you bet I know how to take care of a guest. That aspect of my culture is v important to me.

@Star 's mother certainly was offering me endless homemade treats when I went around there many years ago. And when I apologised about not eating any of it, she brought me chocolate digestives on her best china instead.

I think Liverpool is closer to Scotland and Ireland with stuff like this compared to England.

Some of my family will literally put food on your plate even if you’re saying no.

@Star 's mother certainly was offering me endless homemade treats when I went around there many years ago. And when I apologised about not eating any of it, she brought me chocolate digestives on her best china instead.

My mum would feed anyone who turned up at the door. We had a very similar upbringing to @Beverley
Shame I'm so rubbish with food, it'll be a packet of crisps round mine!

My mum would feed anyone who turned up at the door. We had a very similar upbringing to @Beverley
Shame I'm so rubbish with food, it'll be a packet of crisps round mine!
I've got a friend whose family is from Gujarat (I want to say a town beginning with B, but I've forgotten the name of it), and she makes these DELICIOUS little sweet snacks with fennel seeds in them. She loves baking, so whenever she makes anything for work, she'll always bring a portion of those for me as I'm rubbish about most other things.

My flat is a bit of a shithole so I don’t have people around that often. If I do it is usually with a pre-agreed purpose so the offer of food will depend largely on the situation.

Obviously if you’re coming over for a meal then you’ll be fed, i’ll get in a few snacks for watching a film, etc. If we’re just drinking before a night-out then probably not.

Yes, asking if they'd like some tea, coffee, juice etc., and maybe a snack, or meal if I'm also eating. Usually mine or my sister's friend, or my auntie and uncle are the most frequent guests to the home. 🤗

Not many houseguests besides maintenance people compared to when I was little, thankfully, (but I remember they were always well-fed). :D 🍽️🥘
My parents do say to ask guests if they'd like anything to drink. I am hardly as social, but I do like to continue being similarly welcoming. :)

At uni, I might ask a flatmate if they would like to try something that I'm cooking (usually they politely refuse).
I shared food with a few friends on my course, and if they 'accept', they offer something back; that sort of reciprocal thing. 😊

Always, although I don’t enjoy cooking for anyone beyond myself so if I have guest or guests over chances are we’re getting a takeaway.

Cooking for people is one of my absolute favourite things to do, its the ultimate act of love. Not only are you bringing people pleasure through sensory delight, you're keeping them alive.

Cooking for people is one of my absolute favourite things to do, its the ultimate act of love. Not only are you bringing people pleasure through sensory delight, you're keeping them alive.
That's what I say when I can't be arsed and plonk baked beans on toast in front of Mr L for lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom