Doctor Who - 2023 and beyond (THE CHURCH ON RUBY ROAD, Christmas Day 5:55pm on BBC1!)

Ncuti Gatwa is currently filming the Barbie movie with Ryan Gosling, who turned up to set wearing a t-shirt with some fanart on it...
Screenshot_20220628-061158_Instagram.jpg

GET RYAN GOSLING IN DOCTOR WHO

(And you know RTD will actually try to off the back of that, the wonderful old tart)

I was expecting this, but Segun Akinola has confirmed that the upcoming centenary special will be his last episode as composer:

I've really enjoyed his work, particularly his arrangement of the main theme which might be my favourite since the show returned. I'm wondering if RTD will be looking to bring back Murray Gold as a replacement?

Oh, and no Who panel at this weekend's San Diego Comic Con :( It would've been nice for Jodie to get a send-off there, particularly as this is the first proper one in a few years due to Covid.

EDIT: just remembered that she had a baby a couple of months ago! So maybe she'd rather not be jetting off to the US at the moment :D

I heard Murray Gold is coming back and an delighted!

He is to Dr Who what Nobuo Uematsu was to Final Fantasy. There will be no one better for it IMHO

I saw that Neil Patrick Harris (who will be appearing in the upcoming specials) has given an interview where he says that Ncuti Gatwa will be "the first gay Doctor", which may or may not have outed him as I don't believe he's ever actually discussed his sexuality publicly before...

I saw that Neil Patrick Harris (who will be appearing in the upcoming specials) has given an interview where he says that Ncuti Gatwa will be "the first gay Doctor", which may or may not have outed him as I don't believe he's ever actually discussed his sexuality publicly before...

Maybe he’s just using gay as a pejorative, despite everything Hilary Duff warned us about

The Doctor himself gay or Ncuti?

Ncuti is an OBVIOUS gay, surely, I know he had my gaydar screaming the moment I saw him.

The Doctor has only ever from what I recall shown interest in women, making her temporarily gay at the moment.

The Doctor himself gay or Ncuti?

Ncuti is an OBVIOUS gay, surely, I know he had my gaydar screaming the moment I saw him.

The Doctor has only ever from what I recall shown interest in women, making her temporarily gay at the moment.
Ncuti himself - I think he's probably gay or bi too, but coming out is a very personal thing and I don't like the idea of him being outed. The alternative of course is that NPH had his blessing to say this, and this is how they want to handle it - by having other people bring it up in a low key manner, so that it's out there by the time the new series comes around and he's not being asked awkward questions in interviews.

Ncuti himself - I think he's probably gay or bi too, but coming out is a very personal thing and I don't like the idea of him being outed.
Ah - yeah, fully agree with you there

I'm sure it's one of those things that's gained traction based on nothing at all, but there seems to have been a bit of chatter about Rose Ayling-Ellis being cast as the new companion to Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor. I think she'd be great, but I don't see it happening for some reason.

I'm sure it's one of those things that's gained traction based on nothing at all, but there seems to have been a bit of chatter about Rose Ayling-Ellis being cast as the new companion to Ncuti Gatwa's Doctor. I think she'd be great, but I don't see it happening for some reason.
They were basing on Russel T Davies following her on Insta. But yeah, that doesn't mean much.

Reactions: COB
Oh I totally think it will happen - tbh I've been expecting it since she won Strictly. RTD is canny at casting, and off the back of her Strictly win she's the most famous young actress in the country who'd realistically do Doctor Who, AND she's clearly looking for her next career move. It feels like her as companion (or at least regular of some sort) is a no-brainer.

Also it's mad Ruth Madoc was never in RTD Who, so i HOPE THAT'S COMING TOO

There's more to it than the usual shite the "Doctor Who News" sites constantly trot out.

"Soandso opens up about potential Doctor Who role/return"
Reality: one random fan asked them and they said well they haven't been approached but they'd think about it if they were.

No new news, but I love this picture of our current Doctor and Master at a convention today:

Semi-interesting fact from today's Popbitch email:
Jodie Whittaker is the first Dr Who since Tom Baker to be the doctor under three different prime ministers.

Heh, was just thinking how unstable things are that the Queen had only 15 PMs, considering how many we've had recently I was expecting it to be more.

Next month's BBC Centenary special (and Jodie's final episode) confirmed to be called The Power of the Doctor. Seems a bit generic, but it might grow on me. Also here's a nice picture of three QoLs:
5BD2C283-7DA3-4827-ADB1-CB6F648AB331.jpeg

I'M SO EXCITED (that this ropey era of Doctor Who is nearly over)

• Love
I love that we don't actually know WHO she's going to regenerate into at the end of this episode.

My bet is still on "briefly revisiting Tennant's face" because something reminds her of Donna and unfinished business from the guilt of other "abandoned" companions etc.

And then Ncuti

Yeah it's surely going to be Tennant for a while again, for whatever nonsense reason they can muster that isn't just "we need to bring people back to the show again". A brief straight white male reset to placate the masses and press.

Though I maintain Jodie could have been the most popular Doctor since Tennant if the writing hadn't been complete shit in a bucket 90% of the time. Her first ep opened big so the interest was there.

I don't think Tennant's been seen doing more than the stuff with Tate? So probably just a single one-off special and then something like sacrificing a regen to restore Donna's memory in a way that doesn't melt her brain.

As for the casting of the next "Main" Doctor, I reckon they'll have wanted to stand by the comment that they pick one purely for acting ability rather than demographics. Ironically, picking a male of colour as the demographics to not be thought of as doing so... "they're a male this time because it was never about gender, but of colour now because it was never about race either" - legit and a coincidence, or at least a subconscious decision? I think maybe the latter.

Well apparently someone else had already been all but cast when Ncuti came in and blew everyone away, so if we knew who that person was (and we probably never will) that would probably give us an indication :o I personally think it is always down to talent and charisma for RTD though, based on how he casts other shows he's been involved in.

As for the regeneration, I read that the upcoming special had already been fully written by the time RTD was announced as returning - and it was written to act as the end of Doctor Who on television, at least for a while (as there was a point where it looked like no replacement for Chibnall was lined up). Jodie was then heavily pregnant during the period where she could've returned to film a regeneration sequence as a pick-up, so I think things are going to play out a bit differently than usual :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom