Donna Summer - The Wanderer reissue

I read that it's from a forthcoming 40th anniversary reissue of The Wanderer.

Not very good, whatever its purpose.

Not very good, whatever its purpose.

I'm not that keen either. I do like that shot of Donna though.

A 40th anniversary of The Wanderer right after the box set and live CD/DVD? They are in full on rinse mode at the moment. :D

CONFIRMED

Donna Summer’s iconic album The Wanderer will be re-released on 16 October 2020 to celebrate its 40th anniversary
On 20 October 1980, after leaving Casablanca Records to become the first artist signed to new label Geffen, Donna Summer released studio album The Wanderer. Despite US Billboard chart success, excellent production from Giorgio Moroder and Pete Bellotte and standout tracks like Looking Up and Cold Love, The Wanderer was under-appreciated in its time.
Driven By The Music/Demon Music Group are re-releasing the album to celebrate its 40 years and as a reminder to Donna Summer fans that The Wanderer is a hidden gem that has been hugely influential since its 1980 release.
Figo Sound have remixed two tracks, The Wanderer and Looking Up, to accompany the reissue and give it a contemporary feel that firmly plants Donna Summer’s music back on the dance floor. Artist and producer Le Flex has also mixed new dance versions of Nightlife and Grand Illusions, so we can expect a fusion of 2020 music with the sounds of 1980.
This re-mastered re-issue is packaged in an A5 media-book and contains newly authored liner notes by noted US writer Christian John Wikane, with brand new interviews conducted with Pete Bellotte, Harold Faltermeyer, Bruce Sudano, Tom Kelly, Figo Sound & Le Flex, as well as his archive interviews with Carmen Grillo and Donna Summer.

The track listing is as follows:

1. The Wanderer [Figo Sound Radio Mix] 3.11
2. Looking Up [Figo Sound Version] 4.21
3. Nightlife [Le Flex Sunset Remix – Radio Edit] 3.51
4. The Wanderer 3.47
5. Looking Up 3.58
6. Breakdown 4.09
7. Grand Illusion 3.55
8. Running For Cover 4.00
9. Cold Love 3.40
10. Who Do You Think You’re Foolin’ 4.19
11. Nightlife 4.00
12. Stop Me 3.45
13. I Believe In Jesus 3.38
14. Grand Illusion [Le Flex Poolside Mix] 4.02
15. Looking Up [Figo Sound Extended Version] 6.44
16. Nightlife [Le Flex Sunset Remix] 5.41
17. The Wanderer [Figo Sound Full Mix] 3.59

Last edited:
What an odd tracklisting, with mixes back and front, and sandwiching the original album in between.

Her back catalogue really is being RINSED now, isn't it?

I loved how they did fuck all when she was alive as she clearly didn’t want them to, then the family said they would do things “respectfully”, and now it’s just BOLLOCKS like this. Absolutely zero interest whatsoever in this...the Another Place and Time super deluxe was annoying enough, but at least had that enough on it to justify it.

What a pile of shit. I can't imagine this will be an easy sell right on the heels of the box, and it is not as if the new remixes on Love to Love You Donna were that well received by fans. I'm definitely OUT in terms of adding to the Donna collection unless those vaults are opened right up.

Bookending the album with the edits and full remixes I suppose you could call an innovation but just seems odd.

Reactions: Zu
Is the rest of the album as flimsy and awful as the title track? I think “hugely influential” might be overstating it a tad :side-eye:

This is first Donna song to be added to the main funky playlist (where all my current listening goes) in about 3 years, when I discovered the sublime lost classic “The Woman In Me”

obvs I have in her other playlists. But this one I am just really liking A LOT

I'm still not wild about Grand Illusion but these remixes have otherwise been rather good. Maybe this reissue was not such a waste of time after all. :D

I think The Wanderer is the best so far. Still not tempted to buy the album, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom