Dubstar - Two - new 2022 album

FetchFugly

Pregnant

I didn't pick up their last album in the end, but this feels like a step up from the singles even if there is something about how the vocal is mixed that sounds a bit off at first. Definitely more synthy (they've switched producer from Youth to Stephen Hague) and lyrically more interesting too I think.

This isn't Hollywood, and Holly wouldn't have done the things you told me I should... for you

Album is due next year.

THERE WAS A NEW ALBUM 2 YEARS AGO?! How did I miss that?

I’m a Dubstar stan, I need to get on this shit. That snippet I could hear on my phone was nice

THERE WAS A NEW ALBUM 2 YEARS AGO?! How did I miss that?

I’m a Dubstar stan, I need to get on this shit. That snippet I could hear on my phone was nice
I missed it too! Loved the first two, kind of middling on the third.

Stephen Hague did Disgraceful and Goodbye (wonderful PSB style album titles by the way) so I'm hopeful this could be very good if they can still find their way around a tune.

And I hope Sarah is still the singer!

Dubstar Top 10:

01 St Swithin's Day
02 The Day I See You Again
03 Not So Manic Now
04 The View From Here
05 Say The Worst Thing First
06 Disgraceful
07 A Certain Sadness
08 Goodbye
09 No More Talk
10 I Will Be Your Girlfriend

Apparently I did know there was a fourth album as it's sitting in my iTunes. Time for a spin I guess.

Had no idea Stephen Hague produced Disgraceful. I've just looked at a list his work and he has quite the CV I can't wait to delve into now.

The new single starts off a bit electronic disco before settling in to more uptempo synthiness:

Very good again but maybe not quite as strong a song as Hygiene Strip.

The slow roll out of the new album continues:

Another excellent song but I don't understand why Sarah's vocals on these three songs all sound like they were recorded in a phone box. I can only assume the disjointed feel is intentional.

New album 'Two' due for release May 6th.

'Two’ is the second album from Dubstar since Sarah Blackwood and Chris Wilkie reunited in the mid-2010s, and the first since their seminal 90s albums Disgraceful and Goodbye to be produced by New Order and Pet Shop Boys collaborator Stephen Hague. This reunion with Hague, ushers in a record of full-spectrum megapop, swooning synthesised orchestras, acutely observed kitchen sink dramas, and outright bangers.

CD, 2CD, black vinyl and white vinyl. Vinyl same tracklist as single CD.

CD1
1Token
2I Can See You Outside
3Tectonic Plates
4Lighthouse
5Tears
6Hygiene Strip
7Blood
8Social Proof
9Kissing To Be Unkind
10Perfect Circle

CD2
1Hygiene Strip (Extended)
2I Can See You Outside (Extended)
3Tectonic Plates (Extended)
4Token (Extended)
5Blood (Remix)
6I Can See You Outside (Bright Light Bright Light Remix)
7Tectonic Plates (Dressing Up Extended Mix)
8Token (Widescreen)
9I Can See You Outside (Widescreen)

Last edited:
I did listen to “One” in the end. It did feel authentically Dubstar in the song construction with those sort of giddy chord progressions and dry vocal delivery.

It didn’t really reach the same highs but it was nice enough. Interested to hear how the new one goes if Hague is back.

Finally too, hasn’t this album been delayed several times?

Watched the video premier earlier. Token is gorgeous, but does lapse into Keane and There Must Be An Angel (Playing With My Heart). I'm guessing they got lucky with the rain as there are some shots without the brolly (which presumably made it easier to do anyway). I love the outro debris - Avenue meets Ray of Light!

I didn't know Stephen Hague was involved, how excellent.

I've quite enjoyed the sporadic singles and will gladly get my teeth into an album.

Pleased that album is definitely on the way. Token is wonderful too, and Sarah doesn't sound like she has been recorded down a phone line this time.

This Tectonic Plates remix is quite jolly in a Funkytown way too:

The messy rollout of this continues with the release of "Tears" this week. It's lowkey but nice.

"Token" has really grown on me and would probably have been their best chance at a hit. It sounds very like their classic sound and that chorus just glides along :disco:

I saw an early review of the album which was ridiculously gushing but I'm going to take that with a massive pinch of salt.

I truly love Token, but I'd prefer some of the brutal tenderness of You Were Never In Love to it's lyrics. Still, it swoops me right up. Proper dreamy dreariness :disco:

I've been really enjoying this and it feels like their strongest set since Disgraceful.

"Token" just won't let up and it's now one of my favourite tracks of the year.

Omg it's raining, I should really grab a brolly and find some leopard print to recreate the Token video down a dismal high street. I know it's a Manics lyric, but the salty "under neon loneliness" of it all is just glorious.

Token is just so superbly BLEAK

I never wanted to see you broken
I only wanted some time
I never set out to hurt your heart the way that you hurt mine

Outrageously delivered in that uplifting key of the second part of the chorus too :disco:

“One” was good but “Two” definitely has a higher strike rate of top tunes than it’s predecessor. I wonder if they are already done with the album now it’s had four singles?

“Social Proof” is my main favourite of the remaining six album tracks, I’d love it to get the full single treatment (including a video). However, I know Sarah & Chris prefer “Lighthouse” and the fanbase seem to prefer “Kissing to be Unkind”.

I’m so glad I got the 2xCD, as most of the extended mixes are essential & one or two have been intentionally held back from streaming/ download.

I was not going to fork out a premium price just to get the one sided Flexi disc of “I Held the Records”, but as time passes I grow more curious about how it sounds. I wish they would make it available to download. It appears no-one who bought the flexi has even ripped it to YouTube.
I would love to hear the extended mix of "Token", but only if it sounds less muddy than the album version.

i'm sure we can all imagine what "I Held The Records" sounds like :D

Someone link Sarah up to this thread. I'm sure she'll LOVE it :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom