Emily in Paris

Loufoque

BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE
Everyone seems to be talking about it, and it's already birthed more memes than a Mariah Carey TV appearance (at least for Parisians, wondering when Emily will exit the first seven arrondissements).

Personally, as utterly clichéd and ridiculous as it is, I have to say, I kind of loved it.

Oooh I just started watching this evening, since everyone is talking about it (I thought it was just my French queens).

It's ridiculous indeed but it made me smile a couple of times.

I fucking loved it, my mate and I slammed back a few weed gummies and pissed ourselves.

SYLVIE is everything. :disco:

Emily: "How about you do you, and I'll do me"
Sylvie: "How about a one-way ticket back to Shee-ca-go"

Oooh I just started watching this evening, since everyone is talking about it (I thought it was just my French queens).

It's ridiculous indeed but it made me smile a couple of times.
What's mildly iconic about it is the way it thinks it's an American show making fun of Parisians, but it ends up being a show that makes Americans look like total basic shitheads. All the SATC tropes jumped out, from the bad puns to the gaudy fashion.

I have been hate-reading reviews this weekend, and my favourite was saying that to address criticisms of lack of diversity in SATC, Emily has been "magically furnished with a Chinese friend", all the while the city's immigrant population is totally white-washed out of the picture.

The most gag-worthy bit is when two or more French people speak to each other in flawless English, just because Emily is within a 10 meter orbit of their conversation. I mean, the unlikelihood of it all.

Gave this a go and really regretted it. I was aghast at the lack of human emotions on display by the protagonist - what, exactly, is wrong with her? The best character is the female boss because she’s the only one who views Emily for what she really is, but even her quips aren’t strong enough to maintain interest.

I love brainless television but you can’t be both stupid and boring.

It’s amazing and awful but it’s essentially the MAGNIFICENT Younger set in Paris only not as good :disco:

Also the notion that Emily becomes une influençeuse through the "power of social", which seemingly consists of basic-ass croissant pics and shots of the Eiffel Tower. I mean, any gay worth her social salt knows that even linking to your Scruff profile and posting a lot of thirsty topless shots doesn't get you millions of followers, let alone Emily's brand of "content".

Last edited:
I’ve not watched yet but have been very curious since seeing this ENSEMBLE on Instagram.

I haven’t watched anything, not even seen les meemees, but despite being an avid fan of Paris, this sounds like shit and I’m rather amazed at how many crappy shows for basic queens and teenage girls Netflix shits out in a year.

I avidly await the dark, gay-remake, following an optimistic American bottom who moves to Paris, spends 3 months looking for an apartment, only to finish in a 9m squared on the Periphérique, struggle to get his attestation de domicile from EDF and have an encounter with a muscular dom top from St Denis who he met on BeurOnline

I avidly await the dark, gay-remake, following an optimistic American bottom who moves to Paris, spends 3 months looking for an apartment, only to finish in a 9m squared on the Periphérique, struggle to get his attestation de domicile from EDF and have an encounter with a muscular dom top from St Denis who he met on BeurOnline

this sounds uncannily like Damon Dominique on youtube (who I also suspect would wear a beret to "fit in")

I haven’t watched anything, not even seen les meemees, but despite being an avid fan of Paris, this sounds like shit and I’m rather amazed at how many crappy shows for basic queens and teenage girls Netflix shits out in a year.

Me too, also amazed anyone here was giving it the time of day! Hot garbage mawma!

can’t someone watch my silly gay Japanese drama instead? I got NOOTCH in my thread

Oh you’ve got to love Emily’s CHAMBRE DE BONNE which looks easily twice as big as my place. SEVERAL chambres de bonne more like.

Me too, also amazed anyone here was giving it the time of day! Hot garbage mawma!

can’t someone watch my silly gay Japanese drama instead? I got NOOTCH in my thread
I looked for it, it isn't on Netflix in the UK as far as I could see :(

I did enjoy that over the space of 10 episodes, she got her beautiful neighbour, her client and boss's lover, and the heir to a fashion empire all to fall in love with her, while inspiring a disgusting FW collection, and seemingly getting direct and privileged access to the bedroom of what I can only assume is a hybrid of Jean-Paul Gaultier-Karl Lagerfeld. Impressive for une ringarde who doesn't speak a word of French!

Like all Parisian gays I will be watching this for shots of Emily getting off the métro at Sentier and then magically appearing at Filles du Calvaire and, of course, Sylvie.

Am in the middle of the second season now and I have to say that the 3rd episode was my favourite so far.
There was an entire scene beautifully done the same way Tisch shot Iguana's video in the previous Moopy karaoke, and I quite enjoyed Camille's lash out at the end.

I hear Lucien whatshisface is in S2 :horny:
IMG_20211228_184806.jpg
Just finished this, i think it was much improved from season 1, it still is what it is but you can tell this season was more well thought of and i think it shows. That unecessary bit with the shoplifting was really bad though.

Last edited:
This is an absolute fucking turd. She’s a fucking cunt. The French blonde girlfriend is even fucking worse. The entire cast of Succession are more likeable than anyone in this show.

But I’ll keep watching as it’s only 30 mins an episode and I can roll my eyes at everything awful.

This is my guilty pleasure, but Emily remains the most dreadful title character in any television series I can think of. Also, Lucien Laviscount is a diabolical actor, even in this nonsense. Camille’s moment of confrontation was amazing (albeit Emily should have ended up doused in ‘Champere’).

The fabulous Sylvie is the absolute saving grace.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom