En Vogue

Sheena

ROMANCE
The best R&B girl group of all time. I think its hard to underestimate their importance- not since the 60s had we really had a slew of black female soul groups and post-En Vogue we had hundreds...

What is going on with them now ? I read Dawn had rejoined- are they still recording ?

Dawn is IN AND OUT as it were.

I reckon she must have mental/drug issues. She was USELESS when promoting the Lucy Pearl album and eventually got booted out, then she recorded a solo album which FLOPPED and then there was talk of a new LP project, then an En Vogue reformation, but it's all just talk. Shame as she's got a fucking CRACKING voice

Last I saw of En Vogue was the two who did the least solo vocals were joined by a new woman and they were performing as a new trio. The pretty one appears to have left also. The Soulflower album didn't do much, did it?

In their peak between "Hold On" and "Don't Let Go", there was no better girl group, period. They didn't have the exposure of TLC and didn't sell as many records as The Spice Girls but En Vogue OOZED the very definition of girl group. Even the Supremes, the Sledges... I can't think anyone who can top them for a combination of vocal ability, image, credibility, musical anthems and contribution to 'girl power'.

Put it this way, I'd choose "Free Your Mind" over "Spice Up Your Life" ANY DAY

And I challenge everyone to go back and re-investigate EV3. Don't try and compare it to the swing blues of album 1 or the power soul of album 2 - it lacks anthems, but those first 7 songs are as good as anything on any R&B album I own. It rivals Music Box and Whitney's debut for vocal excellence and the three singles are an absolute TRIUMPH

"Free Your Mind" was overplayed for my liking.....it was good but nowhere NEAR their best work.

Just played "Masterpiece Theater" as well and I REALLY don't get why it gets slagged. I think its quite good and better overall than "EV3", though yes, that had better standouts. Neither come close to the first two albums though. Time to dig out "Soul Flower" methinks...

I love EV3 personally. I find the album tracks generally more listenable than the ones on Funky Divas myself.

EV3 is my favourite too. "Too Gone Too Long" is one of my all time favourite Diane Warren compositions.

Ellie said:
I love EV3 personally. I find the album tracks generally more listenable than the ones on Funky Divas myself.

I honestly find that ridiculous...I like "EV3" a lot but towards the end it is really dribble...

The "Funky Divas" album tracks like "This Is Your Life", "What Is Love", "Love Don't Love You" etc are FINE

This is what I said about EV3 the other day:

I have just given EV3 a listen. Funky is right - the first six (or, indeed, seven) tracks are superb. Don't Let Go, Whatever, Too Gone Too Long and Let It Flow really are up their with their best. However, after that it really does lose momentum somewhat. The second half isn't bad, PER SE, but it just passes you by a little. Sitting At Heaven's Door is nice enough, as is the little a-cappela near the end...

Funky Divas is infinitely better

Its ALL about "Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover" for MY LIKING

Just checked out their website and its got an "Account Suspended" thingy up :D :D

I'm almost tempted to properly investigate these ladies for the FIRST TIME EVER

Not quite though.

Nope, just looking through the EV3 tracklisting, I still disagree. I LOVE What A Diff'rence A Day Makes, Eyes Of A Child, Sitting by Heaven's Door and Let It Flow. Fuck it, there's not a single one I even vaguely dislike. I used to play that album on loop for about 6 months.

Last edited:
Ellie said:
Nope, just looking through the EV3 tracklisting, I still disagree. I LOVE What A Diff'rence A Day Makes, Eyes Of A Child, Sitting by Heaven's Door and Let It Flow. Fuck it, there's not a single one I even vaguely dislike. I used to play that album on loop for about 6 months.

Hmmm, well agree to disagree...

PERSONALLY I still think "Born To Sing" is the best thing they've ever done. Bar the SLIGHTLY too schmaltzy "Gotta Be A Part Of Me", its grade A R&B from start to finish...."You Don't Have To Worry" was the best flop single of the 90s for me...its fucking SUPERB

I never even bought Born To Sing. I hated Masterpiece Theatre and got a refund, cos I was a broke student at the time.

"Born To Sing" MUST go cheap on secondspin...it really is fucking wonderful stuff- even better than "Funky Divas"

ANd ive got NO En Vogue on my iPod. THAT will be remedied later today

An EN VOGUE top 20

1. My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)
2. Hold On
3. You Don't Have To Worry
4. Don't Let Go (Love)
5. Waitin On You
6. Riddle
7. Don't Go
8. Giving Him Something He Can Feel
9. Free Your Mind
10.Whatever
11.Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover
12.Losin My Mind
13.Love Don't Love You
14.Whatta Man
15.Runaway Love
16.Lies
17.Desire
18.Give It Up, Turn It Loose
19.Love Take Me Out
20.Too Gone, Too Long

Just playing "Soul Flower" for only about the third time ever and although it certainly is their worst album, its still rather good

The problem for me is mainly that the old vocal magic is gone- the vocals are still very good but they aren't OUTSTANDING like when the four of them (hell, even three of them) were together...they blend together into a bit of a bland voice if you ask me

cwej said:
I can't even REMEMBER if I have 'Soul Flower'... :o

Doubtful Id have said knowing how you get most of your stuff in shops...it was a US independent release, never came out over here and I never saw it on import anywhere, despite looking

Got mine off secondspin in the end

No I don't have it. I rememebr talking about it a lot with people but never actually listening. Would I like it? I do like Masterpiece Theater quite a lot actually...

This thread is making me CREAM

I don't think Free Your Mind is their best work either, but I appreciate it for what is and what it stood for.

I actually DON'T OWN Born To Sing and I can't remember what the album tracks were like. :o ...time to get onto iTunes and investigate

I never really got into Masterpiece Theatre at all. I liked two or three songs, including the single, which I think was unfairly overlooked

Overall I prefer EV3 to Funky Divas, but I think that is mainly because I prefer the singles on EV3. They are just three of the best singles from one album I can think of. Album tracks-wise, I think it's pretty even. They're both pretty solid. I'm with Ellie - EV3 was on a total loop for MONTHS. I can still recite every single word from start to finish

Too Gone Too Long is just magnificent, and I think it IS Diane Warren's best song - for me at least.

My TOP TEN :black:

1 Don't Let Go (Love)
2 Too Gone Too Long
3 Whatever
4 Hold On
5 Whatta Man
6 My Lovin'
7 Love Don't Love You
8 Free Your Mind
9 Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover
10 Giving Him Something He Can Feel

Sheena said:
Its ALL about "Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover" for MY LIKING

Just checked out their website and its got an "Account Suspended" thingy up :D :D

Now I LOVE 'Damn I Wanna Be Your Lover', but it IS a COMPLETE AND UTTER rip-off of 'Don't Let Go'. To have them so close together on the album is absurd.

But just to disagree... I think TLC are the best r'n'b girl group ever by a considerable distance. En Vogue were far more faceless, whereas in TLC all 3 had their role to play. OK, they were never the same vocally as En Vogue, but they released 2 consecutive SUPERB albums, which I don't think EV ever did.

AGREED, cwej. I think their facelessness was a major factor in me not engaging with them as a group.

cwej said:
But just to disagree... I think TLC are the best r'n'b girl group ever by a considerable distance. En Vogue were far more faceless, whereas in TLC all 3 had their role to play. OK, they were never the same vocally as En Vogue, but they released 2 consecutive SUPERB albums, which I don't think EV ever did.
Gotta agree with that. Actually, I think FanMail has really dated over time, although recently going back to it, it's not as bad as I thought a couple of years ago. Anyway, I just really connected to TLC. They were just a phenomenon for a good few years, and you didn't even notice that they weren't these powerhouse singers. Their personalities just outshone it all.

i loved en vogue as a kid

i used to have ev3, but lost it, though my whatever single is still in place
time to get some EN VOGUE on mr IPOD
i'm at less than 1 GB :(

top 10

1. My Lovin' (Never Gonna Get It)
2. Whatever
3. Hold On
4. Don't Let Go (Love)
5. Giving Him Something He Can Feel
6. Whatta Man
7. Free Your Mind
8. Too Gone, Too Long
9. Runaway Love
10. Give It Up, Turn It Loose

I absolutely agree with what you've just said Ellie. They had an originality and personality that En Vogue lacked.

This is the first promo pic for their upcoming album. It's three of the four original members (no Dawn) and Rhona, who's been touring with them for a couple of years now.

815678833_l.jpg

The first album will be covers ONLY with a tribute to all the legendary girlbands (Supremes, Pointer Sisters,...)

is that bootsy collins on the right?

and is dawn doing ANYTHING at all? what a waste

The time to come back and have success has definitely passed for En Vogue by now. The covers album also sounds like a bad idea. I still have to buy "Soul Flower", they didn't bother to release over here.

Oh I'm quite interested in the covers idea. They need a gimmick to sell anything at this stage and the idea of covering some classic with an En Vogue slant sounds quite good...

I won't get too excited just yet though...

poor girl on the right. She was never the prettiest but have a WORD...

And Dawn? STUPID BITCH

I still haven't got my hands on "Born To Sing". It's not even on iTunes :manson:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom