Euro 2028 - UK and Ireland?

Penelope

striking, unique, 𝘲𝘶𝘦𝘦𝘳
Pronouns
Any
Set to be awarded automatically to UK and Ireland on April 7 apparently - no rival bids have come forward :o (Turkey has decided against going for it and the bid Russia were considering has been abandoned as a non-starter for obvious reasons)

Under UEFA co-hosting rules, all of the home nations and Ireland will need to qualify for an event we’re hosting and paying for.

Fuck that.

Well, by all accounts Turkey isn't bidding cos they know they're probably not going to beat the UK/Ireland bid.
After the Euro 2020 final debacle I thought this might actually be Turkey's year at last.

What happened to the Balkan bid? Or are they trying for 2032? (or the 2030 WC)?

Under UEFA co-hosting rules, all of the home nations and Ireland will need to qualify for an event we’re hosting and paying for.

Fuck that.
But they can't guarantee that or suddenly rearrange who hosts if say N.I. don't qualify.

Also considering they’re expanding the format to 32 teams there’s no reason why all five can’t qualify automatically, particularly when three of them would be likely qualifiers anyway.

I suspect the other football associations would kick up quite a bit of fuss if there were five autoqualifiers, but I don't get why they couldn't have at least one or two for the ones hosting most of the games. Even just as a commercial decision - you'd surely expect interest in the tournament to be down a fair bit in the hosting nations in the event the home country hasn't qualified.

I think this was also partly as a result of the same nations pulling out of WC 2030 bidding, not least because UEFA seems to favour the Spain-Portugal joint bid.

The qualifying aspect is a mess and really 5 nations is a silly idea - notwithstanding that the lion’s share of matches will probably be in England anyway.

But that will be nice and no doubt lessons will have been learned from the hapless security at the Euro 2020 final.

Officially announced “expression of interest”

Apparently this is going to delay to the decision! :D

How ridiculous - they are suspended from competition, just tell them to jog on.

I think Turkey put in a bid for 2028 as well, so that will be the actual reason for the delay.

Given Turkey have also bid for 2032 I imagine it's an attempt at bartering.

Turkey have bid for every Euros since 2008 however it's obvious UEFA doesn't want them to host.

In the same way Istanbul kept bidding for the Olympics and the IOC couldn't have been any clearer!

Reactions: D5K
I think the original plan was to announce the 2028 and 2032 hosts at the same time too..

Turkey can go fuck itself. They can host after Erdogan dies.

Didn’t Ukraine co-host the Euros with Poland fairly recently anyway? (As if that wasn’t the main problem with this idea)?)

SEE I KNOW KICKBALL THINGS

Didn’t Ukraine co-host the Euros with Poland fairly recently anyway? (As if that wasn’t the main problem with this idea)?)

SEE I KNOW KICKBALL THINGS
Yep, it hosted Euro 2012

Türkiye withdraw their bid (and instead will bid to co-host 2032 with Italy) meaning the U.K. & Ireland are now the sole bidders for 2028. Both look to be formally announced next Tuesday.

Last edited:
That's good news! I don't think it has been confirmed if the hosts (5!) will auto qualify?

I do wonder if all five will automatically qualify, particularly considering they’ve ditched the idea of having 32 teams. It’d only leave 19 qualification spots.

Last edited:
CONFIRMED

Italy / Turkey to host EUR0 2032

England have asked to be put into the qualifying rounds as its good prep for the german euros next year
Qualification for 2028 won’t start until after the World Cup? :D

Yes I got that completely wrong. They want to be in the qualifiers because Germany have only been playing wanky friendlies in the run up to the german euros and its not really good prep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom