Euro Elections 2019

Who will you vote for (GB only)

• Total voters
I don't know what to take from this at all:

Brexit Party gain 31.6% but UKIP lose 24.2% - a net gain for the 'obvious' Brexit party of 7.4%.

But meanwhile the most active Remain parties Lib Dems, Green and Change UK have a net gain of 21% between them...

The 'middling' parties (with very split opinions within their party on Brexit) of the Conservatives and Labour lose 26.2% between them.

I'm tempted to say that overall that is a clear swing towards Remain really, but it's still difficult to be sure.

Yeah it does look like remain performed better than pollsters expected. Even factoring in lower turnout in Brexit areas you're probably looking at 53% or 54% pro remain in a referendum based on last night's figures. Who knows what would happen on the day though.

Saw a tweet this morning suggesting that Glasgow polled The Brexit Party's lowest percentage nationally. *proud*

That's a pretty decent record. I'm at least proud that York didn't have them as the biggest party, which seems to the only place for about 70 miles in any direction.

Greens coming on top in both Bristol and Brighton, two of the loveliest places I know in England <3

35.1% of the vote :disco:

And with the Lib Dems on 22.5% and Brexit 18.6%, it is safe to say I love my city right now.

Although looking across the region as a whole, and the fact that Anne Widdecombe is now one of my MEPs, it does feel like cold comfort.

Yeah it does look like remain performed better than pollsters expected. Even factoring in lower turnout in Brexit areas you're probably looking at 53% or 54% pro remain in a referendum based on last night's figures. Who knows what would happen on the day though.

You have to factor in though, that in an election to the European Parliament surely remain voters are more likely to come out in droves than Brexit voters. I certainly had a huge feeling of pride to BE ABLE TO vote in this election and it made me more compelled to do so. I’m not sure a Brexit voter would feel the same urge - to vote for something that they don’t even want to be part of.

I voted for Naomi Long from the Alliance Party here in NI.

Ann Widdecombe is now an MEP? What the fuck is wrong with people?

Labour are going to have to get rid of Corbyn to survive as a remain party.

You have to factor in though, that in an election to the European Parliament surely remain voters are more likely to come out in droves than Brexit voters. I certainly had a huge feeling of pride to BE ABLE TO vote in this election and it made me more compelled to do so. I’m not sure a Brexit voter would feel the same urge - to vote for something that they don’t even want to be part of.

This is also true. Really we dont know how a second referendum would go until we counted the votes. The way that various media outlets have assigned Tory as leave and Labour as remain is nonsense. I would have thought that a large chunk of the Tories still voting Tory will actually be remainers who couldnt stomach voting for a left wing party. Similarly a large proportion of the Labour vote will have been leavers who are staunch Labour voters that wouldn't contemplate switching their votes. Are we even sure that all Lib Dem voters support remain?

Ann Widdecombe (97) still refusing to retire. I preferred her getting thrown around the dance floor on Strictly personally.

ay_52587336-1b34.jpg

About the only time I’ve felt sorry for Anton

I think it's safe to say that:

The Lib Dem and Green vote increase came from disaffected remain Tories and Labour voters.
Brexit Party votes came from UKIP voters, topped up with disaffected leave Tories and Labour voters.
Labour wouldn't have flopped so hard had they been firmly remain. At a guess most leave Labour voters would have already jumped ship.

There's going to be a lot of deluded Brexiteer rewriting of the above. We all know the party positions and the resulting realignment, but let's not kind ourselves with their bullshit.

Conceivably, some of the remaining labour voters could be leavers. There are left wing arguments to leave the EU and I'm not sure who else anyone who subscribed to those would vote for.

Arguing that people who have switched the Lib Dems for this election may not be remainers just seems delusional.

Conceivably, some of the remaining labour voters could be leavers. There are left wing arguments to leave the EU and I'm not sure who else anyone who subscribed to those would vote for.
Well yes, but they're hardly mainstream, despite being held by the leader. I doubt it's more than a few hundred thousands tops.

Arguing that people who have switched the Lib Dems for this election may not be remainers just seems delusional.
I know Lib Dems have other policies, but their success is literally due to being the EXACT OPPOSITE of the Brexit Party.

The next GE has the potential to be very very interesting.

IKR

They literally campaigned with the slogan STOP BREXIT, to suggest that anyone voted for them who is for Brexit is just :D

Westminster voting intention:

LDem: 24% (+6)
Brex: 22% (+4)
Con: 19% (-5)
Lab: 19% (-5)
Grn: 8% (+2)

via @YouGov

GO BACK TO YOUR CONSTITUENCIES, ETC ETC

Perhaps we can have a Con/Brex coalition next, just to mix it up a bit.

Sorry what does this mean?
It means that, if there is a General Election within the next few months, I will need to get even drunker than I usually do in order to bear the election night programming.

Sometimes you have to be thankful for FPTP. I wonder what those numbers translate to.

Universal swing. It's not a particularly great way of approximating the likely seats for big shifts out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom