Eurovision 2021: The Rehearsals

The crowd definitely sounded INCREDIBLY EXCITED during SAN MARINO :disco:

Flo Rida also a LOT better on stage than I was expecting! Here for a SHOCK WIN!

They're not leaking anything, these videos were uploaded by RTVE to their website, they're all allowed to do it, but for some reason only the Spanish TV (as far as I know) does it.

Apparently they aren’t allowed but RTVE haven’t been given a bollocking (or if they have, they’ve done it again anyway).

According to a friend who works in RTVE and is covering this Eurovision, they're allowed to do it. I don't know, but I find a bit strange that they'd do it if they can't. Not that I understand why they upload them anyway.

They deserve it much more than bloody PORTUGAL which has seemingly come out of NOWHERE and CONTINUES to RISE IN THE ODDS!

Why did this NOT happen with Telemóveis :evil:

If Serbia are drawn first half maybe they'd be the opener? It's got a bit more pep than the UK.

Conspiracy theory: do you think we brought such huge props to try and force us to be put just before a commercial break?

If the BBC put that much thought into these things then I would have expected a better entry by now.
Agreed. It’s well down the list of priorities - I expect more resources and deployed trying to think of yet more vehicles for Stacey Dooley.

Not for the first time, SEND IT TO ITV!

It‘s nice to see the UK media are being very positive about the contest this year..

Ok S4C??
I just remembered that they HAVE been a participating broadcaster for JESC right?

about the only way the UK will ever send anything cultural anyway

You mean this ITV? :eyes:

Ugh. Well that is stupid, but what do we expect from GMB? Why talk of a boycott when we have effectively boycotted it ourselves for the last 20 years.

When I say ITV, I mean the ITV of X-Factor / BGT (and, lord help us, even the Masked Singer) etc. and the necessary razzle-dazzle. If there was scope to accompany it with some form of melodi-lite national final I think we could be ok much firmer ground.

Views will vary, but I am somebody who lays the blame for our current state firmly at the feet of the BBC. When you have Radio 1 presenters openly expressing their dislike for the contest and reluctance to even premiere the song, I think that speaks volumes about the corporation attitude.

We are all going to look like plonkers when James steam-rollers to victory now.

But as much as I agree with that about the BBC’s attitude, it’s the British attitude too, we think we can just waltz in and win because of the Beatles and we don’t sing in foreign

Some people are anyways going to view the contest that way because it feeds into their petty little englander/outsider/victim narrative.

These are the same people who don’t like Germans because of a war that happened before they were born.

Agreed but at least the BBC could help to change perceptions by sending a competitive entry. I’m reluctant to overestimate the extent to which it is viewed as a joke, it still pulls in huge ratings and presumably the UK being competitive again could help to dispel outdated myths.

Personally the UK performance has no bearing on my enjoyment of the contest - my expectations are zero and anything above that is a bonus.

No doubt we will be having the same conversation next year. Somebody save this thread.

Is it an urban myth spread by ageing euro gays or is Eurovision actually quite popular with zoomers?!? I think we’ll have a renaissance eventually hopefully spurred by the younger generation.

• Wow
Reactions: dUb
I actually think the BBC handle Eurovision in general VERY affectionately, and I'd hate to see it go elsewhere as we'd lose half a decade's worth of connection and history. It won't go anywhere anyway, as it generally performs really consistently well for them and is often their best performing music content for young audiences (:D).

It's the song/artist selection process that is the problem. They tried a basic bitch version of the MF/talent show route the year Jade Ewan won and it bombed. There's just not the sustained interest in the British public to watch such a thing when heading to Eurovision isn't a price people covet.
We'd be best off following The Netherlands & Belgium's recent approach of indie artists/established acts slightly out of the limelight.

That said, I'm not excusing this year's semi-final SHIT SHOW. Chelcee Grimes and that Line Of Duty "sketch" were truly UNFORGIVABLE.

You could feel the TV execs lurking in the shadows with Scott & Sara not being on location and having to be on BEST BEHAVIOUR as a result.

Agreed but at least the BBC could help to change perceptions by sending a competitive entry. I’m reluctant to overestimate the extent to which it is viewed as a joke, it still pulls in huge ratings and presumably the UK being competitive again could help to dispel outdated myths.

Personally the UK performance has no bearing on my enjoyment of the contest - my expectations are zero and anything above that is a bonus.

No doubt we will be having the same conversation next year. Somebody save this thread.

You know, these days I wonder if we should stop TRYING to send a "good for Eurovision" entry, (if that's even what we've been doing), because it's been painfully obvious that we're working on a (possibly willfully) ignorant image of what that is.

I just want to send a song that represents at least some facet of UK culture. Can you imagine sending a song in Welsh or Scots? The worst result is being like France who at least send something inherently French, whether it's chanson, fun4gays, artpop. We might still be doing shit but we'd have a bit more respect in the contest I think. Instead we are just picking the easiest famous-ish person whose label deigns to touch the contest with a bargepole.

I WOULD like a Brexit from the Big Five, but I think that would never happen unless it was forced on us.

#1 trending topic on Twitter too, which is cool for a semi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom