United Kingdom 2022: Sam Ryder - SPACE MAN

WHADDYA THINK?

• Total voters
Rumours circulating that the deal with BMG is dead. :side-eye:

This typically measured piece from The Mail today.

Even Macca couldn't win Eurovision for Britain! Music bosses tell BBC they won't humiliate their stars in the competition in a backlash against 'anti-British bias'​

UK record labels are refusing to put forward performers for next year's Eurovision Song Contest in a backlash against 'anti-British bias', The Mail on Sunday can reveal.

BBC chiefs have irritated music bosses with demands for them to supply talent to enter the singing competition – only for them to fare badly on the night.

The annual music contest has become one of the BBC's most successful broadcasts of the year, with this year's competition attracting nearly eight million British viewers.

But record company executives now believe there is anti-UK bias when it comes to the judging of artists performing at Eurovision, particularly after Brexit, and are planning to boycott the event.

It comes after James Newman, the UK's Eurovision entry, was awarded nul points and finished in last place with his performance of Embers at this year's contest in the Netherlands in May.

The result was greeted with huge cheers by the audience inside the arena in Rotterdam, and meant the UK came last in two successive contests.

Record label BMG, which spent £25,000 to fund Newman's entry, is understood to be among those now refusing to repeat the exercise for next year's contest.

Other major UK record label bosses believe European countries are prejudiced against British artists and say they 'would not go near' next year's Eurovision after the way the voting panned out this year.

The boycott could leave the BBC having to discover future acts and fund their entry themselves.

One record industry boss said: 'The truth is we could have entered Paul McCartney backed by the Spice Girls and still ended up finishing in last place. The feeling inside the UK music industry is that there is now open bias against our acts.

'Nobody wants to go near the Eurovision any more, but the BBC are arrogantly demanding we put forward acts because it is such a ratings winner for them.

'James Newman was humiliated last year – there was no way his was the worst song on the night. The BBC can't expect us just to go along with their demands like lambs to the slaughter.'

Voting at the Eurovision Song Contest has long been dogged with controversy amid claims of bloc voting by countries, in particular former Soviet nations.

After the performances, each country awards points for each song – ranging from one to eight, and then ten and 12 for the best.

If you come outside the top ten, you are not awarded points from that country.

The first round of points is decided by a jury of five music industry professionals in each country, and the second is awarded by viewers watching at home who can vote by telephone, text message or a phone app.

The jury announces the points they are awarding live on air. The viewers' points are then added up and revealed at the end of the show, from lowest to highest.

This year's victors, Måneskin, from Italy, were glam rockers who took to the stage in flared lederhosen with their nipples out.

“Took to the stage in flared lederhosen with their nipples out” :D

are they insinuating that James Newman was a big star or something?

"The result was greeted with huge cheers by the audience inside the arena in Rotterdam, and meant the UK came last in two successive contests."

Eh? The audience was very sympathetic!

What a load of rubbish and completely contradictory to the piece they wrote the day after saying that it was all down to it being a plainly awful entry.

I expect there may well be some smart people at certain record labels seeing the winner’s success this year and thinking Eurovision is actually a very good idea…if they can get past the BBC.

"The result was greeted with huge cheers by the audience inside the arena in Rotterdam, and meant the UK came last in two successive contests."

Eh? The audience was very sympathetic!

yeah I clocked that too, what a twat!

The NUMBER of things wrong with that article. No mention of Maneskin having spent a couple of months in the UK top ten with two different songs post contest, whereas James Newman didn’t. No mention that Newman was actively encouraging the crowd to cheer when his televote was revealed.

Fuck the Mail.

Yeah the cheering seemed very much in sympathy with/support of James, didn't it?

One record industry boss said: 'The truth is we could have entered Paul McCartney backed by the Spice Girls and still ended up finishing in last place.
In 2021 you would end up finishing last place entering that dream team.

It doesn't mean anything. Anyone can say they'd be open to doing it. The BBC ain't hiring the Vengaboys.

*cut to ”We’re Going to Bologna” being released next March*

It sounds like they are just going to turn up (and elbow Louisa Johnson or WHOEVER out of they way)

Yes, we'll speculate about people who might be good and also 'gettable' by the Beeb (AKA their careers are currently in the doldrums let's be honest), then we'll all be amazed as even THEY are out of reach once the actual artist is announced :(

Oh sorry, I wasn’t actually suggesting Louisa! She would be a great choice with a good song (also see Fleur, Alexandra, Florrie etc etc etc) but it won’t happen.

Perhaps I should have said Electro Velvet or the KELLY FAMILY instead.

• BOOM BOOM
Reactions: dUb
I almost wrote Petula Clarke but with a ‘Cut Copy Me’ or ‘Sacrifice My Heart’ I would be all for it!

If I had a magic lamp that only worked on Eurovision situations, I’d use one wish on Leona representing the UK.

Oh sorry, I wasn’t actually suggesting Louisa! She would be a great choice with a good song (also see Fleur, Alexandra, Florrie etc etc etc) but it won’t happen.

Perhaps I should have said Electro Velvet or the KELLY FAMILY instead.
IF ONLY! :disco:

iggi8-1024x576.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom